CJohn

The Oscars 2017 on ABC | 89th Academy Awards | Discuss It Live Here | Super Sale to Honor the Steve Harvey moment! (p124)

8 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

Art is subjective but this is borderline trolling, guy is one of the best actors of our generation and I don't think there is anyone that close to him given his resume.

I generally really like him but I share the common sentiment that he cannot disappear into roles (and his best recent work, like Wolf of Wall Street, comes when his off-screen persona is incorporated/subverted in some way). In his age range alone guys like Joaquin Phoenix, Oscar Isaac, Shannon are far more impressive actors even without his resume. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

I generally really like him but I share the common sentiment that he cannot disappear into roles (and his best recent work, like Wolf of Wall Street, comes when his off-screen persona is incorporated/subverted in some way). In his age range alone guys like Joaquin Phoenix, Oscar Isaac, Shannon are far more impressive actors even without his resume. 

Tough when your real life persona becomes much larger than life than the characters you are playing.

19 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

The Oscars don't serve a higher purpose. 

I get your point but I couldn't disagree more. I believe that film is one of the most potent ways to make lasting change, and the Academy Awards are the biggest night in film, so eh. If you believe that film/art can have any role in mobilizing people or fighting for something positive - and it obviously does- then I think there's something to be said for the awards for that art having political consideration. But I know no one here tends to agree. 

The above tweet made me look back at winners in the 2000s, and these are the ones I have actually sought out and rewatched in the years since the ceremony they won at (not counting movies I probably stumbled upon on cable or something)

- Gladiator

- A Beautiful Mind

- Return of The King

- Million Dollar Baby

- Departed

- Hurt Locker

- King's Speech

- Argo

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I get your point but I couldn't disagree more. I believe that film is one of the most potent ways to make lasting change, and the Academy Awards are the biggest night in film, so eh. If you believe that film/art can have any role in mobilizing people or fighting for something positive - and it obviously does- then I think there's something to be said for the awards for that art having political consideration. But I know no one here tends to agree. 

My point is that regardless of how you feel about them, they're basically a cross between a industry/trade show and a prom, and many voters vote accordingly (for many various, petty reasons -- some of which may be altruistic but often come down to who they personally like).

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

My point is that regardless of how you feel about them, they're basically a cross between a industry/trade show and a prom, and many voters vote accordingly (for many various, petty reasons -- some of which may be altruistic but often come down to who they personally like).

Right. I agree. I'm not saying how they actually are. I'm saying that they should - and give lip service to- being something. 

• Like 1

The Oscars are overrated and basically self-congratulatory, ego satisfiers. The politics behind it lead to the winners not necessarily being the best of that year. It's also hard to say that one movie is the best of the entire year. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I would much rather rewatch The Artist than The King's Speech, Argo, Birdman, or even Spotlight. It's a good fun movie.

I'd agree with the first three, but Spotlight really rocked me. A seriously good film. So glad it won over the Revenant and Big Short which were gaining momentum, and I liked those films fine. I rewatched the Artist and it didn't quite hold up as well on the small screen, but damned if I didn't love it in the theater. It may be a stunt but I would rather watch a really good stunt than the alternative. 

• Like 1