FlashMaster659

Mar 3-5 Weekend - Official Estimates - Logan 85.3m, Get Out 26.1m, Shack 16.1m, LEGO Bat 16.5, BIF 4.9m

1 hour ago, davincicode1 said:

Why are you labeling "Get Out", "Hidden Figures" and "Madea's Halloween" as "black movies" in first place? What makes "Split" or "La La Land" or any generic random movie with white lead any more universally appealing that those movies that I've mentioned?  that statement ALONE is racist

I agree people who deny that international audiences are somewhat racist are lol.  Like China is obviously racist lmao. I guess you can say European countries would rather watch a movie where they can seem themselves?  But I actually think the idea that there's no racism in European countries ridiculous. European countries are mostly white which is why you don't hear as much about racism but I think people are finding out it's def there. 

Like unfriended was released in 40 countries and it only made 31 domestic lmao . We'll see how many Get Out is released in. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

No it got an OS release due to having a white (male) lead (it's the most important factor when countries determine what movies they want to invest money in) and rave reviews. "Unfriended" had worst legs in horror history + awful reviews, but that didn't prevent it from getting released in 48 countries. "The Purge" was released in close to 40 countries within first 3 weeks of release. "Get Out" has a UK date and 2 more countries (early May) scheduled, that's it. "Madea's Hallowen" was #1 in US for two weeks and grossed tons of money yet it only was released in Arabic/African countries.

But why is it so important to you whether those movies get foreign release or not? Nothing changes the fact that GO and Hidden Figures are blockbusters, hell, they are so big they don't need OS to save them. Hollywood is obviously making more  movies with non-white leads. Granted, they aren't investing 150-200M in those movies (in which case OS is mandatory for profitability) unless a strong franchise brand such as Marvel, but they are making them more than before, so quite a few of them are big domestic hits. And that market is still what determines one's star status, etc. 

In fact, GO and HF should become a model for future film-making - keep your budget in check so:

1) you can cast diverse

2) you don't have to depend on OS (especially if OS has no interest in 1)

You can't forcibly change OS market preferences but you can cater to domestic market where there's demand. Indian, Korean, Chinese, etc movies don't get release in many OS countries either due to lack of demand. So it isn't just anti-black sentiment or whatever. Those markets are simply interested in traditional Hollywood movies just like Indian market is mostly interested in Bollywood movies and nothing else. Instead of trying to change the world, adapt to the demand of the market that has the interest. Not a rocket science.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ban1o said:

I agree people who deny that international audiences are somewhat racist are lol.  Like China is obviously racist lmao. I guess you can say European countries would rather watch a movie where they can seem themselves?  But I actually think the idea that there's no racism in European countries ridiculous. European countries are mostly white which is why you don't hear as much about racism but I think people are finding out it's def there. 

"Racism" as understood in the US (and to a lesser extent in the UK) means very little or nothing in most parts of the world. This is for the simple reason that the historical/cultural/social context is very different. The rest of the planet is neither an extension of the USA, nor at an earlier stage of "development" in relation to the USA to which they are travelling towards. 

Quite simply, Afro-American themes are totally meaningless in the rest of the globe. 

And one more thing. It's very often said that "Americans" know very little about the outside world. This is of course to a very high degree, correct. But I would also note that "the rest of the world" knows very little about the USA. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Not true. Shyamalan is the major factor that also got The Visit released OS (or at least here where I live, since all other horror movies Universal releases are not released here, just these two that share one common denominator: Shyamalan). 

Aren't you confusing Unfriended with Paramount's The Devil Inside? :wintf:Unfriended had normal legs for a horror movie and it is fresh on RT.

"Unfriended" opened to 16 Million and grossed 32 million in TOTAL gross, does that sound like soft/normal legs to you? My point is that they are not immediately jumping on "Get Out" solely cuz of the "black" theme and a black lead (who is a hero and not a villan which is refreshing to see but it doesn't fit the narrative they want to push) who is portrayed in positive light, and that is A FACT. 

33 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

"Racism" as understood in the US (and to a lesser extent in the UK) means very little or nothing in most parts of the world. This is for the simple reason that the historical/cultural/social context is very different. The rest of the planet is neither an extension of the USA, nor at an earlier stage of "development" in relation to the USA to which they are travelling towards. 

Quite simply, Afro-American themes are totally meaningless in the rest of the globe. 

And one more thing. It's very often said that "Americans" know very little about the outside world. This is of course to a very high degree, correct. But I would also note that "the rest of the world" knows very little about the USA. 

lol whatever won't discuss this. But I laugh when people say countries like Sweden have "no racism" when they are like 99% white like no duh lmao. And American movies with white leads are "universal" but American movies with black leads aren't lol. 

Like Ride Along made 130 million in the US but nothing OS. What about that film is not universal lmao. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, baumer said:

That doesn't count. That was Martin Luther King weekend. I'm talking about a wide release film that didn't expand that doesn't have a second weekend holiday to soften the drop. What's the last film that manage to do that?

Looks like the only films to have opened to 2500+ theaters to have a better 2nd weekend drop than Get Out not aided by Holidays is Mothers Day (which was aided by a holiday I guess) and Puss in Boots. Brother Bear also did it, but opened on a Saturday.

• Like 2

Hidden Figures fell 8% in second weekend

Fair enough. However, to whoever may feel more impressed by Hidden Figures, it "only" opened to 23M + had awards noms buzz + plenty of the audience didn't check it on OW due to a bad snowstorm in the US. Get Out opened 10M bigger, didn't have any of those factors playing in and was a horror movie, an R-rated one nonetheless, while HF was an all-audiences friendly film. Not to say HF's run wasn't absolutely outstanding or anything, just that, under the circumstances, GO's sub-20% drop is certainly more impressive. At least imo.

• Like 1

Just now, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fair enough. However, to whoever may feel more impressed by Hidden Figures, it "only" opened to 23M + had awards noms buzz + plenty of the audience didn't check it on OW due to a bad snowstorm in the US. Get Out opened 10M bigger, didn't have any of those factors playing in and was a horror movie, an R-rated one nonetheless, while HF was an all-audiences friendly film. Not to say HF's run wasn't absolutely outstanding or anything, just that, under the circumstances, GO's sub-20% drop is certainly more impressive. At least imo.

HF drop was because of MLK weekend and it had no competition. THat's it. GO drop is more impressive. And It's going against a 80+ film 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, davincicode1 said:

"Unfriended" opened to 16 Million and grossed 32 million in TOTAL gross, does that sound like soft/normal legs to you? My point is that they are not immediately jumping on "Get Out" solely cuz of the "black" theme and a black lead (who is a hero and not a villan which is refreshing to see but it doesn't fit the narrative they want to push) who is portrayed in positive light, and that is A FACT. 

It seems like normal legs inside the horror genre. Split, Get Out and The Conjuring are the exception, not the rule.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't have entered this discussion. Here in Portugal most horror movies are not released at all because all of them bomb. A Cure for Wellness is not getting released here either.

7 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Looks like the only films to have opened to 2500+ theaters to have a better 2nd weekend drop than Get Out not aided by Holidays is Mothers Day (which was aided by a holiday I guess) and Puss in Boots. Brother Bear also did it, but opened on a Saturday.

Also aided by a holiday.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ban1o said:

HF drop was because of MLK weekend and it had no competition. THat's it. GO drop is more impressive. And It's going against a 80+ film 

Totally forgot about the MLK weekend factor. Yeah, it had that too. But even if it hadn't had that, it wouldn't have dropped more than 20%.

Though that just adds to the GO is more impressive fuel.

I don't think I've ever been more surprised at a BO run than GO. After the first trailer I figured it would be lucky to get more than 40 M domestic given how out there it seemed to be for general audiences. I'm so glad to be wrong.

• Like 5

Get Out is prime example of black magic, both critically acclaimed and box office phenomenon, but of course just like "Hidden Figures" it is bound to generate less than 50 Million gross outside US (It's only scheduled to open in like 4 countries, whereas "Split" was released in pretty much every country on FIRST WEEK)  and people wanna claim that US is the most racist country on earth when it is in fact the MOST tolerant country on earth right now (Madea's Halloween was #1 for 2 weeks (and managed to outgross a Tom Cruise blockbuster & Inferno), Hidden Figures outgrossing La La Land now Get Out outgrossing Split, so proud of US right now)

Why are you labeling "Get Out", "Hidden Figures" and "Madea's Halloween" as "black movies" in first place? What makes "Split" or "La La Land" or any generic random movie with white lead any more universally appealing that those movies that I've mentioned?  that statement ALONE is racist

Not that shit again. Half of my country's population is black and yet we usually have no interest in American movies about racism because the race dynamics that happen in America are completely different from the race dynamics that happen here. It doesn't make us any more or less racists than Americans, it's just different for cultural, historical, economical and social reasons. We simply cannot relate much to these kinds of movies.

Implying that it makes us more racists than Americans just means that you're being fucking obnoxious. What an one-sided flawed view of the fucking world, expand your damn horizons before pulling crap like that out of your damn ass please.

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Sam Worthington opened a shitty movie to 17+ with hardly any marketing. A bonafide SUPERSTAR.

Certainly an option. And I don't think everyone would've made those Titans movies money, so kudos for that (though, if they came into the scene today, they'd probably do Gods Of Egypt numbers - Worthington was just riding that Avatar hype, plus the thing w/the 3D at the time, but kudos nonetheless).

But the other option, the one I see the most suited, is simply that people didn't go out to see Worthington, they went out to see The Shack. The book was, according to plenty, a long-runner in the bestselling ranks. Even without much marketing, people see "The Shack" in the limelight - they go out and see it. Emily Blunt starred (and according to who saw it, shined) in the 24M OW maker Girl On The Train. Doesn't make her a super drawing star by any stretch (which is sad cause she's great) - it's just that people wanted to see TGOTT.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

12 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Not that shit again. Half of my country's population is black and yet we usually have no interest in American movies about racism because the race dynamics that happen in America are completely different from the race dynamics that happen here. It doesn't make us any more or less racists than Americans, it's just different for cultural, historical, economical and social reasons. We simply cannot relate much to these kinds of movies.

Implying that it makes us more racists than Americans just means that you're being fucking obnoxious. What an one-sided flawed view of the fucking world, expand your damn horizons before pulling crap like that out of your damn ass please.

are you from Brazil lol. I won't say what I want to but you're right it's not straight forward. 

Even movies with black leads that have nothing to do with racism don't do well overseas so people reducing it to that are being over simplistic.

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3