franfar

The Post | Ensemble Cast with Tom Hanks & Meryl Streep | Spielberg | Pentagon Papers Film....Dec 22 2017 | Trailer on p.11

I'd probably put Spies as my number 3/4 of that year. Probably tied with Creed and Sicario in that 2 to 4 range.  I recently rewatched Spotlight which I really liked back then but hoooo boy that jumped to number one QUICK.  Really really really holds up and improves upon rewatch. Top five or six of the decade for me.  2015 was p damn good generally. 

• Like 3

Just now, Shawn said:

I'm pretending that I understand this reference.:redcapes:

catch yourself up:

There's really no excuse to not know this at this point

FB1 chronicled the isolated beginnings of Grindelwald's larger plan, starting mainly with a huge terrorist attack on NYC to expose the Wizarding society.

FB2 is likely to explore the complex web of relationships, loyalties, and romances that corrupt, thrive, and fall apart as the war approaches. I think it'll also be a recruitment story. Grindelwald appeoaching notable Wizarding families coercing them into joining him.

FB3 is likely to jump ahead significantly to the 30's and the beginning of the war as the characters have to start to deal with the sides they've chosen

FB4 would be a thick of the war film. 

FB5 would follow the immediate lead up to Dumbledore and Grindelwald's collision, the battle itself, and the ramifications of it. I wouldn't be surprised if the second act is the duel and the rest of the film is some sort of Post-War drama.

One thing that I'm wondering: I've spoken a lot about how dark and bleak I find Harry Potter often is, in comparison to other blockbuster franchises, and much of the HP series I found quite tragic/scary/horrific/bleak for a modern Fantasy blockbuster. 

Basically what I'm trying to say is: Fantastic Beasts 1 was already a frighteningly dark film imo. Given that the creatives have said they'll get darker and coincide with WW2, I'm worried Rowling might veer into territory that might not be palateable for a blockbuster audience. 

One example is the supposed "romantic eroticism" that David Yates said Crimes of Grindelwald had. And the fact that the first photo for it paints many of the characters in a sultry or sexualized light, particularly the Maledictus, Leta, Theseus, and Dumbledore to a degree, and the fact that it's entirely about couples. It looks...more overtly "sexy" than anything we've gotten in the Wizarding World before. You know what I mean? 

Potter has had sexual themes and sensual relationships before, but the way this 'first look' is constructed and how David Yates is describing the film, my brain keeps going to "there's at least a couple sexual scenes in this film that might polarize mainstream audiences". And given the film appears to largely be about betrayal, war, division, 'crimes', and sabotage, I don't think the romantic/'erotic' relationships in this film will be presented in the most healthy, non-violent, or normal way.

We've heard of a few of the HP films having a hard time, struggling against the R rating, but if it gets much darker, I think it'll be much harder for this franchise to avoid the R rating, also given the closer tie to sensitive historical events. 

sort of a ramble, but thoughts? Anyone?

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The most noticeable thing we have are pundits' predictions being edited after the screening. This shot up to the top 3 for many, and Streep is contending for the win.

Sounds promising, especially after previous test screenings claimed it was kind of a disaster, just proves you can't trust earlier word, though I've known that for a while. I suppose the editing help a lot too. 

Also Bridge of Spies is legit great, and I'm very much looking forward to The Post as well.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator
2 minutes ago, RichWS said:

As he read the script, Kaminski scribbled in the margins of every page: "Pools of light flood through the Post's windows."

I love his work. But I cannot deny the likely truth of this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1