DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

11 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

There are FIVE Universal movies in the top 10 right now.

They also have 3 of the 5 2017 $100 million domestic grossers thus far, and topped $500 million for the year weeks before any other studio even sniffed $400 million. Considering that they did not bankroll The Great Wall in any capacity, they've had an illustrious 2017. Even 'A Dog's Purpose' made them money on their domestic distribution and marketing investment.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AABATTERY said:

I honestly think the WB team are the best in the business when it comes to marketing. They are really, really good at getting butts in seats. They got BvS that giant OW, made Tarzan not completely flop, made Suicide Squad a huge success and now Kong is surpassing all of our expectations. WB is doing quite nicely for themselves lately, IMO.

they remind me of the Fox of early-mid 2000s...opening most of their big movies above tracking because of excellent marketing. Their tentpoles movies were mostly sub-par just like current WB tentpoles barring a few (legendary is responsible for Kong not sucking) but boy the trailers were always loaded with money shots to get butt in the seats. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Disney is the tortoise.

ivdKjji.jpg

And I'm sure that's fine with Universal. Quite frankly Disney is not going to have any film this year even approach the investment to box office gross ratios of films like Split, Get Out and probably even Fifty Shades Darker.  The box office spectrum is broad. 

• Like 1

WB, Universal, and FOX are all off to very good starts this year.

Since Rogue One three months ago, Disney has been MIA, they are really taking the all-the-marbles-in-one-basket thing to an extreme. If "Beauty" doesn't knock it totally out of the park, they have no margin for error, no small budget $90m DOM grossers to fall back on. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

They also have 3 of the 5 2017 $100 million domestic grossers thus far, and topped $500 million for the year weeks before any other studio even sniffed $400 million. Considering that they did not bankroll The Great Wall in any capacity, they've had an illustrious 2017. Even 'A Dog's Purpose' made them money on their domestic distribution and marketing investment.

True. Their July-Dec slate isn't that big so this great numbers early on in the game is great news.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, UrosepsisFace said:

And Universal's major franchises have yet to debut. However, after Despicable Me, they don't seem to have any sure-fire hits till December. Something may surprise, though. Lionsgate also seems very front-loaded.

True. I don't know if they will still schedule some Oscar baits but for now I think their biggest for the second half of the year will be PITCH PERFECT III. The movie will most probably use Christmas songs.

9 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

WB, Universal, and FOX are all off to very good starts this year.

Since Rogue One three months ago, Disney has been MIA, they are really taking the all-the-marbles-in-one-basket thing to an extreme. If "Beauty" doesn't knock it totally out of the park, they have no margin for error, no small budget $90m DOM grossers to fall back on. 

You forgot about Pirates. 

I didn't think 2017 would be able to keep up with 2016, but they're neck and neck so far and '17 will start to pull ahead soon.

Year  Gross*            
2017   $2,167.6            
2016 $2,167.0            
2015 $1,951.7            
2014 $1,900.0

Edited by MattW
Mojo updated the yearly total
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

I didn't think 2017 would be able to keep up with 2016, but they're neck and neck so far and '17 will start to pull ahead soon.

Year  Gross*            
2017   $2,166.7            
2016 $2,167.0            
2015 $1,951.7            
2014 $1,900.0

2016 was greatly buoyed by STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS.

• Like 1