DAJK

Weekend Estimates: Kong 61M, Logan 37.8M, Get Out 21M, Shack 10M, Lego Batman 7.8M

I personally think that "Hidden Figures" and "Get Out" are doing this good not only because they happen to have black leads, but also because it's about justice where good conquers the evil and it's refreshing for the audience to see that the "evils" is not for once someone of dark/brown skin. I find it irritatating that Hollywood needs a "reason" to cast POC actors, whereas whites are the default. That is absurd, given the level of talent we've seen from POC actors (they just need a decent material to work with, like "Get Out") who are continually pigeon-holed into sidekick or bad guy roles.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Does anyone else get the feeling CHiPs could be a monster bomb? My audience at Kong laughed at the trailer, but that weekend is fucking stacked.

War Dogs numbers, IMO.

2 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I think Ghost in the Shell will be a hit. Especially OS, just recall Lucy. 

Yeah, it will do well OS, I agree, especially since Easter holidays start on that weekend in many places and it is the only major release until FF8.

3 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

Get Out is a monster. I honestly thought the plot would alienate white audiences, but I am happy that it has become a smash. Logan, on the other hand, is not the monstet I thought it would be. Kinda makes a case for audiences indeed preferring sunny, colorful CBMs (although that would not explain the commercial success of BvS and MOS). Clearly, GOTG2 and WW, both of which look like more wide-eyed, optimistic, traditional CBMs will do better. 

Welcome to the boards! :)

You also need to remember that Logan is R rated, which means what it has done so far is pretty damn exceptional given the limited audiences that can view R Rated movies. Yea I know about Deadpool but that was an anomaly.

Edited by DMan7
  • Like 2

Just now, davincicode1 said:

I personally think that "Hidden Figures" and "Get Out" are doing this good not only because they happen to have black leads, but also because it's about justice where good conquers the evil and it's refreshing for the audience to see that the "evils" is not for once someone of dark/brown skin. I find it irritatating that Hollywood needs a "reason" to cast POC actors, whereas whites are the default. That is absurd, given the level of talent we've seen from POC actors (they just need a decent material to work with, like "Get Out") who are continually pigeon-holed into sidekick or bad guy roles.

If what you took from Hidden Figures is justice conquering evil then. :lol:

37 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

can Logan reach 600M ww??

With 50% drops or more every week...

Mar 5: 247.4

Mar 12: 438.2 (+190.8)

Mar 19: 525 (+87)

Mar 26: 565 (+40)

Apr 2: 585 (+20)

Apr 9: 595 (+10)

Apr 16: 600 (+5)

Rest: 605 (+5)

• Like 1

Part of the issue as well is that Logan and Kong have already fulfilled the action niche that Power Rangers and Ghost in The Shell are going after. I think that audience has been tapped out already.

8 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

I actually want Power Rangers to do well but for the sake of @Gokira2012 and his bias against King Kong, I want PR to now do half of King Kong's OW. 

Just let it go, gorkira admitted to being wrong about Kong and hasn't continued to troll it since Friday. Posts like this just feed trolling

• Like 4

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Universal should consider moving Zookeeper's Wife to April. Apparently the movie is quite good, but it feels like another Monster Calls waiting to happen with its current release date.

Is Matt Damon the Zookeeper?

51udNEaOmgL._SX200_QL80_.jpg

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Does anyone else get the feeling CHiPs could be a monster bomb? My audience at Kong laughed at the trailer, but that weekend is fucking stacked.

Chips is going to play like Fist Fight IMO. I have Life surprising though if it ends up being good and doing 23/70

1 hour ago, DMan7 said:

Welcome to the boards! :)

You also need to remember that Logan is R rated, which means what it has done so far is pretty damn exceptional. Yea I know about Deadpool but that was an anomaly.

Thanks!

You are right. I forgot about the R. I also understand that it has not flopped by any means (I just expected a better hold). In any case, is anybody still talking about superhero fatigue? These movies are here to stay. Notice how whether badly reviewed or greatly reviewed, starring icons or C-listers, Pg or R-rated, grim or funny/colorful, they are all making insane box office.  What do you think Wonder Woman and Guardians V. 2 will do domestic? I expect over 400 million for the Marvel sequel and anything between 250-300 million for the amazing amazon's solo film debut. 

Edited by MrMarosa

1 minute ago, MrMarosa said:

Thanks!

You are right. I forgot about the R. I also understand that it has not flopped by any means (I just expected a better hold). In any case, is anybody still talking about superhero fatigue? These movies are here to stay. Notice how whether badly reviewed or greatly reviewed, starring icons or C-listers, Pg or R-rated, grim or funny/colorful, they are all making insane box office.  What do you think Wonder Woman and Guardians V. 2 will do domestic? I expect over 400 million for the Marvel sequel and anything between 250-300 million for the amazing amazon's film debut. 

Both seems about right, that's what I'm predicting for both, however I see GV2 at $330M-$420M domestic and WW at $220M-$300M domestic.

Also welcome to the boards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

What's the other one. Avatar? Frozen?

Just found out the only two movies in the past 3 years to spend 13 consecutive weeks in the top 10 are La La Land and Zootopia. B)

Edited by cannastop

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Both seems about right, that's what I'm predicting for both, however I see GV2 at $330M-$420M domestic and WW at $220M-$300M domestic.

Also welcome to the boards.

Thanks. :)

9 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I hope it bombs. It looks just awful

I have no doubt it will. Out of all the new releases coming out that weekend I expect it to do the worst. Then again I'm not expecting much from any of them but Chips looks to be in the worst shape of them all.