cannastop

Best Screenplays 2017 (Original and Adapted)

6 hours ago, slambros said:

I feel like The Disaster Artist is locked for Adapted.

You’re probably right. It seems to be very much a dialogue driven movie, and I’d say only CMBYN and Molly’s Game are looking very strong. Mud bound could make it if the Academy gets over it’s anti-Netflix bias.

Orginal Screenplay seems like it’s gonna be a bloodbath this year. Three Billboards is probably the only one I can say is safely in. Get Out, Lady Bird, Big Sick, Shape of Water, Phantom Thread, Darkest Hour, and The Post are fighting for second, honestly.

• Like 1

Call Me by Your Name seems like the strong frontrunner for Adapted. That'll be its big reward.

6 hours ago, spaghetti! said:

Orginal Screenplay seems like it’s gonna be a bloodbath this year. Three Billboards is probably the only one I can say is safely in. Get Out, Lady Bird, Big Sick, Shape of Water, Phantom Thread, Darkest Hour, and The Post are fighting for second, honestly.

It's a damn tough race. I guess my current five would be:

Three Billboards

Lady Bird

Get Out

Darkest Hour

The Big Sick

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

Call Me by Your Name seems like the strong frontrunner for Adapted. That'll be its big reward.

It's a damn tough race. I guess my current five would be:

Three Billboards

Lady Bird

Get Out

Darkest Hour

The Big Sick

I, Tonya has a great chance.

New predictions:

Best Original:

The Big Sick

Get Out

Lady Bird

The Post

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

(yep, predicting a Shape of Water snub here. Feel like that movie is weakening in general)

Best Adapted:

Blade Runner 2049

Call Me by Your Name

The Disaster Artist

Molly's Game

Mudbound

(shoot this category)

Mudbound will be a good film, but I still think the Netflix bias gets to it no matter how bad the Adapted Screenplay category is this year.

With Mudbound out of the way, we have only three surefire nominees: Call Me By Your Name, Molly's Game, and The Disaster Artist.

I think Stronger depends on how much buzz Gyllenhaal and Maslany manage to keep. I think the kind of Academy that chooses to recognize at least Gyllenhaal will be the kind of Academy that chooses to recognize the film's screenplay.

Blade Runner has only dipped because its box office wasn't so hot; otherwise it'd be pick 2 or 3 on everyone's list. The script is still fabulous no matter how much money it makes, and the voters might see that.

I'm not counting out Victoria & Abdul just yet. That's the type of quiet film that just might surge ahead on the strength of the box office and the appeal to older voters.

I'm not counting out Wonder Woman either. That script is legitimate, with love and care displayed throughout. The film will have a lot of fans cheering for the Academy to nominate it, and if they don't want to go all the way with Picture or Director, then Adapted Screenplay is their best chance.

But here's what I'm thinking.

Blade Runner 2049

Call Me By Your Name

The Disaster Artist

Molly's Game

Stronger

It might be a bad category, but I think that makes it a fun category to look at. 

13 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

it's time to consider coco for original screenplay, pixar is not a stranger is this category.

TS1, Finding nemo, incredible, rata, walle , up, TS3, IO were all nominees!

I'm surprised to learn that monster inc didnt get nom for its screenplay 

I think OS is too packed for Coco to get in.  I mean it's always a possibility but it's difficult when there are already 8 movies or so gunning for a slot.

8 hours ago, The Panda said:

I think OS is too packed for Coco to get in.  I mean it's always a possibility but it's difficult when there are already 8 movies or so gunning for a slot.

The intense competition are here for every year, coco just can hope for its best by using the leverage from pixar