franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

2 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Name one person who called him a dumb kid? Nobody has said that. Not one person. 

Not only that, but I think it’s wrong to think people can’t change as adults.  Change is a personal choice in life, and yes being hired by Disney may lead to a conscious effort to change your behavior.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Aren't there White Apes too? I mean, I hope people stop associating apes to black people. I don't know how does the Law work in USA, but here where I live, Roseanne's tweet ( if she really wrote that ) wouldn't be considered racism, but insult. In order to be considered racism, she would have to say all black people are apes, because that would be a generalization of the entire race. Then again, there are white apes, so she would have been racist to white people too?

This is a very comple issue. That's not to justify what she said. I think she deserved being fired, just like I think Gunn deserved to be fired, being irrelevant when he made those jokes. Even if Roseanne apologised, she still deserved to be fired.

Gunn shouldn't have been hired. Brolin ( didn't he beat Diane Lane? ) shouldn't have been fired. Victor Salva ( a convicted rapost ) shouldn't have been hired to work after what happened? Same thing with Polanski and many others. Firing Gunn and keeping others, this is my problem with the whole thing. However, that doesn't mean I think they should have been fired ( or not hired ) first and then Gunn.

Disney already fired Gunn, so I guess he won't be called back. He'll still find work in Hollywood. If Victor Salva still works, then anybody else does. 

Okay, racism isn't defined by law here. What matters is that a black person being compared to an ape is systemically a racist comment made in this country, it doesn't matter the color of the fur, Black people have been called apes for a very long time, so comparing even a singular black person to an ape is racist by the way the language is coded in our society.

And yes it does matter when Gunn said it. Otherwise you could be fired because of something stupid you did 10 years ago, doesn't matter what you've done since, how you've grown. Trying to act like it doesn't matter WHEN these comments are made is disingenuous, and flies against everything we know about human beings in their ability to change. You're punishing a man for behavior he openly apologized for, years ago, now because...why? He stopped the behavior. Why is he being punished now? You can't ignore that kind of time frame by calling it "Irrelevant" when he stopped doing that. He actively stopped the behavior.

That's the thing Barr said those things, and more, while employed by Disney. Gunn did not. That's one reason why it's relevant. The other one being we've had 6+ years to see that he stopped and did grow. You're literally now punishing someone, saying "You're personal growth doesn't matter, you said something offensive once, therefore you must always be punished" is a fucking stupid way to do things.

(Side note: super creepy you're trying to normalize the comment by saying their are white Apes when you don't understand how it's used in America or our history with it. Like seriously, calling a Black person an Ape is a serious thing in this country and has systemically racist connotations for a very long time. You don't know, as you admit, what it's like in this country and how being compared to an ape is done here, so while you may mean well, it's like super creepy.)

• Like 3

I can't find my last post. It seems to have been deleted, and that's very odd, considering there wasn't anything wrong with it ( at least in my view ). 

Anyway, why does Disney have to complicate things? They could have avoided all of that, if they haven't hired Gunn, to begin with.  They fire Gunn, but people will ask about Downey Jr, then they'll ask about Victor Salva ( a convict rapist ), then about Josh Brolin ( a woman beater ). 

3 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I can't find my last post. It seems to have been deleted, and that's very odd, considering there wasn't anything wrong with it ( at least in my view ). 

Anyway, why does Disney have to complicate things? They could have avoided all of that, if they haven't hired Gunn, to begin with.  They fire Gunn, but people will ask about Downey Jr, then they'll ask about Victor Salva ( a convict rapist ), then about Josh Brolin ( a woman beater ). 

What about Downey Jr? Did he do anything besides drugs that I'm not aware of?

The idea that people with a criminal record should not have work is quite extraordinary, I know the USA does not have the same rehabilitation attitude than most of the world, but it must be quite something to be an ex-convict there.

Would it not be in a world without some social net... quite similar to a death sentence for people not already rich ?, many would have added 6 month to 2 year's of jail time instead of loosing a career I would bet.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 8

Just now, RandomCat said:

Okay, racism isn't defined by law here. What matters is that a black person being compared to an ape is systemically a racist comment made in this country, it doesn't matter the color of the fur, Black people have been called apes for a very long time, so comparing even a singular black person to an ape is racist by the way the language is coded in our society.

And yes it does matter when Gunn said it. Otherwise you could be fired because of something stupid you did 10 years ago, doesn't matter what you've done since, how you've grown. Trying to act like it doesn't matter WHEN these comments are made is disingenuous, and flies against everything we know about human beings in their ability to change. You're punishing a man for behavior he openly apologized for, years ago, now because...why? He stopped the behavior. Why is he being punished now? You can't ignore that kind of time frame by calling it "Irrelevant" when he stopped doing that. He actively stopped the behavior.

That's the thing Barr said those things, and more, while employed by Disney. Gunn did not. That's one reason why it's relevant. The other one being we've had 6+ years to see that he stopped and did grow. You're literally now punishing someone, saying "You're personal growth doesn't matter, you said something offensive once, therefore you must always be punished" is a fucking stupid way to do things.

(Side note: super creepy you're trying to normalize the comment by saying their are white Apes when you don't understand how it's used in America or our history with it. Like seriously, calling a Black person an Ape is a serious thing in this country and has systemically racist connotations for a very long time. You don't know, as you admit, what it's like in this country and how being compared to an ape is done here, so while you may mean well, it's like super creepy.)

I'm not trying to normalize anything. I'm just saying how it works, according to the Law.  Hell, that doesn't mean I agree with the Law.

Roseanne not only deserved to be fired, she also should have and could have been prosecuted for what she said ( in fact, according to our Law, she could have been prosecuted twice, by the studio for damaging their reputation, and by the victim of her tweet ).

I'm not saying that calling someone an Ape isn't a serious thing. I don't agree with being only considered just some "insult". in fact, it should have been racism, but unfortunately our politicians don't make good Laws here. 

9 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

What about Downey Jr? Did he do anything besides drugs that I'm not aware of?

Illegal Gun possession, entering is neighbor house and fell asleep in there bed, stuff like that, all non-violent charge I think.

Now is taking heroin worst or less worst than a bad Joke when you had no audience for it on twitter in american society ?, could not tell you.

Right now it feel you would be better off that people find you try to kill someone when you were 17 in a criminal gang and selling drugs than caught having made bad jokes or having grabbed an ass while drunk in a party.

Edited by Barnack

I'm not trying to normalize anything. I'm just saying how it works, according to the Law.  Hell, that doesn't mean I agree with the Law.

Roseanne not only deserved to be fired, she also should have and could have been prosecuted for what she said ( in fact, according to our Law, she could have been prosecuted twice, by the studio for damaging their reputation, and by the victim of her tweet ).

I'm not saying that calling someone an Ape isn't a serious thing. I don't agree with being only considered just some "insult". in fact, it should have been racism, but unfortunately our politicians don't make good Laws here. 

I understand it isn't your intent, but doesn't mean it doesn't trivialize or normalize what Roseanne did by pointing out there are white apes. So I can understand you mean well, but it's also not a law thing here. Roseanne didn't commit a crime. She has every right to say what she said. So that's why none of us are talking about Laws.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

The idea that people with a criminal record should not have work is quite extraordinary, I know the USA does not have the same rehabilitation attitude than most of the world, but it must be quite something to be an ex-convict there

I think there are consequences for what you do.  Victor Salva is a convicted rapist and it's very obvious that nobody would want him directing kids in movies.  Even if he payed for his crimes, nobody truly knows if he "changed" to a better person, and I'm sure nobody will be trusting him, even though he somehow keeps directing movies.

Would you hire a convicted rapist to work at your home? Would you hire a convited rapist to work with kids? 

Sure, it sucks that you may not be finding work, but maybe you should have thought about that before doing the wrong thing.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Illegal Gun possession, entering is neighbor house and fell asleep in there bed, stuff like that, all non-violent charge I think.

Now is taking heroin worst or less worst than a bad Joke when you had no audience for it on twitter in american society ?, could not tell you.

That was a 90s thing, while he had all the drug problems? Not a recent thing I missed? 

I don’t quite get what point you’re trying to make. You’re saying an American company’s actions should be based on Brazilian laws? First you say Roseanne’s tweet would be considered only an insult in Brazil, which is whatever, but doesn’t really matter since she’s an American comedian working for an American company on an American show. Now you say it should be racisim, which also doesn’t make much sense, because it is racism and occurred while she was working for Disney. Gunn’s tweets are gross, and it’s fine if you think he should be fired for them despite the fact that they were made prior to being employed by Disney. But trying to equate the two is either due to bias or lack of understanding about the differences. 

• Like 2

Moderation 

Please be careful and thoughtful when commenting on this topic. 

-the comparison of black people with apes and monkeys is a very old racist slur. Please don’t dispute it. 

-it is a fact Roseanne made the comments she made. Please don’t dispute things that actually happened. 

-there is a searchable service on the internet called Google and an online encyclopaedia called Wikipedia. If you aren’t sure about a topic please do some research about it. If you aren’t aware that you are unsure about a topic then maybe the internet isn't the best place for you. 

Regards

BOT Staff 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think there are consequences for what you do.  Victor Salva is a convicted rapist and it's very obvious that nobody would want him directing kids in movies.  Even if he payed for his crimes, nobody truly knows if he "changed" to a better person, and I'm sure nobody will be trusting him, even though he somehow keeps directing movies.

Would you hire a convicted rapist to work at your home? Would you hire a convited rapist to work with kids? 

Sure, it sucks that you may not be finding work, but maybe you should have thought about that before doing the wrong thing.

Obviously society should not have have him be alone in kids ever (and not just in a work context) and not be in a position of authority over kids in any way in a professional context. If there is a logical link between the crime and the work that make sense. Or a fraudster and working at a bank. It is fully ok for a society to protect itself from an danger with a good enough indication of risk.

But that is not what it seem to be about at all here and in many example people bring, it seem to be in term of punitive attitude without a direct link into the goal of making society safer.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:36 AM, Ozymandias said:

I don't think so.  Disney wanted to cut ties with a guy that made hundreds(some are saying thousands) of rape/pedo jokes.  Is it really that hard to believe?  Other people have been sacked at the drop of a hat for less.  Don't think that deal has much to do with it at all.

I think rape and pedophilia are things that most people think are wrong regardless of political opinion.

You can criticize Disney for this decision, but saying they did it to appease the Trump Administration is just pure Disney bashing.

BTW, in the post Weinstein climate, I think any studio would probably have fired Gunn. I see this as still more fallout from the Weinstein scandal.

I an not a Disney Fanboy, but I do think the get a lot of heat here for things that any studio would do. Granted, Disney does have a family friendly image to worry about.but I think Warners, Universal .Paramount or name your favorite big studio would have given Gunn the boot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Mostly from 1996 to 2002 I think.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't a relapse thing, and didn't see anything on Google. Better to ask.

I made a joke earlier, but yeah, firing Downey because of what he did nearly 20years ago, that he was punished for and had to pull himself back up to where he is.