franfar

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 | May 5, 2023 | The 9th most profitable film of 2023

2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

Saying something like this means that you think too many people "liked it".

I feel like maybe you skipped over this 👇

Spy is another great example that has a 95%!!!  I know that doesn't mean that it's one of the greatest films ever made.  It's just that the overwhelming majority of critics that saw it liked it.  I have to imagine the 95% and 7.3 avg has to be one of the wildest, right?

I feel like it's less about whether the critic "liked" a movie as much as it is a recommendation. Which is why you'll see a lot of similar written reviews, heck scores, and then you'll  find out the reviewer decided fresh or rotten, with feels like it contradicts their own writing.

Edited by BluKyberCrystal

People here have said that superhero fatigue isn’t a problem as long as they make “good movies,” but I think the definition of a good superhero movie from both critics and general moviegoers have become more strict now compared to 10 years ago. The MCU was a very novel concept a decade ago. It accomplished something that was never thought to be possible, and spawned a bunch of imitators. Unfortunately, it’s not new anymore. People feel like they’ve seen everything, so it’s no longer exciting.

This is precisely why I’ve maintained that James Gunn’s DCU is going to be fighting an uphill battle. It’s coming at a point where the concept has been played out. 

• Like 8
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, BluKyberCrystal said:

I feel like it's less about whether the critic "liked" a movie as much as it is a recommendation. Which is why you'll see a lot of similar written reviews, heck scores, and then you'll  find out the reviewer decided fresh or rotten, with feels like it contradicts their own writing.

I understand this, but you can be critical of something and point out the shortcomings while still enjoying it and recommending it to people.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I only liked one film out of your top 3, so hopefully we align a bit better on this one :ph34r:

there are too many marvel movies now, the rankings will always be different.

I also change the top positions except Infinity war. he is my favorite

• Like 1

Letterboxd score will go down, it won´t be on the level of Top Gun. However, it´s a good indicator that WOM could be strong. Even before the fans screening started it was on a 3.9. For comparison:

Wakanda Forever started with 3,8 and had that around 2-3 weeks after release. It has 3,6 now. Strong score.

Ant-Man 3 started with 3.0 and quickly went down to 2,8/9 (can´t recall excatly what it was). Now it´s at 2,7

Shang-Chi was at 4,0 after the fan screenings they did for that movie. Now at a 3,6. 

The signs are there for this to be a crowdpleaser with good WOM. Let´s how it goes next week. Regardless of box office the reception of this movie is important just for the general brand and genre. We need some movies that audiences like. 

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Dominic Draper said:

Damn..when I first saw it, it had debuted at 91 on RT now its down to 78 already and we probably have another 300 more reviews to go. How low this gonna go. 60s?

Previous RT patterns for blockbusters have shown that the scores settles in the final % range after 100 reviews, so this will probably still end up Certified.

Still, I suspect it's fairly disappointing for Disney/Marvel that it's looking to end up in the 70s after the 'Best MCU movie since Endgame' hype because NWH and even WF ended up much better. This is a closer score to MoM lmao

17 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Previous RT patterns for blockbusters have shown that the scores settles in the final % range after 100 reviews, so this will probably still end up Certified.

Still, I suspect it's fairly disappointing for Disney/Marvel that it's looking to end up in the 70s after the 'Best MCU movie since Endgame' hype because NWH and even WF ended up much better. This is a closer score to MoM lmao

From what I've seen it's dropped 4% in the last 20 or so reviews. No guarantee it stays certified

Edited by Dominic Draper

I think one thing that's being overlooked in the critics shift towards the MCU is that it's a perfectly natural progression and what critics are *meant* to do with time.

The UNPRECEDENTED becomes The PRECEDENTED and to most critics, and evaluators of art in general, the precedented has less perceived cultural value than the unprecedented.

The Endgame finale gave a perfect signifier to everyone, including critics, to shift the former to the latter.

Ant Man and the Wasp, Thor 2 and other Infinity Saga Marvel movies that may otherwise be seen as only okay all had the benefit from association with an *unprecedented* franchise, an *unprecedented* cultural shift, and an *unprecedented* ascent of relatively modestly-known products into the cultural zeitgeist via competently made, systemically okay, broadly well acted and very well cast films.

Ant Man 3 and Eternals do exactly the same....except that they are now precedented. So the perceived artistic value is naturally lower. And unless they have additional value beyond that they'll get lukewarm responses. 

It's the Joker issue. Joker got mediocre critiques because to critics (and in materiality) it is just a bog standard iteration of a well-trodden formula that had been done better by First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here in the 18 months that led up to it. But most of the people that loved Joker hadn't seen First Reformed and You Were Never Really Here and certainly not The King Of Comedy and so *to their eyes* were watching a film as good as The King of Comedy because they were viewing the very precedented as unprecedented and with a character they had an attachment to. And perhaps critics didn't realise/appreciate the impact of doing a very well-precedented narrative but attached to a cultural icon like the Joker instead of an original character.

At this point with the MCU *nothing* they can do pretty much seems unprecedented. The first Fox tie-in (Deadpool 3?) will feel that way and probably get high praise as a result. Likewise maybe a smart use of pre-MCU Marvel characters at some point.

I don't think it's necessarily that critics are going from being 'kind' on Marvel to being 'harsh'. It's just a naturally dynamic of the linear progression of time and more and more precedents being set.

Edited by Ipickthiswhiterose
  • Like 3

No marvel fan has a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about critics (and to be fair not many are, on this thread at least). The series has had, to my mind, kind reviews for over a decade. The good but hardly rapturous reception we’re seeing now just makes me think ‘what took them so long’.

• Like 5
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1