Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Next March isn't going to come close box office wise to this March but I could see some healthy OW from Wreck it Ralph 2, The New Mutants and Ready Player One. RPO in particular if WB markets it right could open huge, 

She's literally a fantasy mermaid who lives under the sea with a Jamaican crab. There's no reason she HAS to be white unless that's the only way you'll accept her. I think you'd be surprised how well-received that would be outside racists on the Internet. I think that most of the girls in real life that go crazy for Disney shit don't give a damn at all. And plenty of them would finally have a hero that looks like them. So what's the big deal? Cast who is best for the role, and don't care about what people on the Internet say.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It could be argued that the brand of BATB also did all the work too.

No, Watson certainly helped. It would've done massive business without her, but adding Emma Watson to your movie does a lot more work than a (then) no-name like Daisy Ridley.

Just now, filmlover said:

Yes, he gets top billing (as do Fisher and Hamill despite the latter barely being in the film). Adam Driver is the first billed among the new cast.

Yeah, then BatB is the biggest one ever, beating The Hunger Games movies. The lead is clearly a female, and it was sold as that (Daily Ridley wasn't even that prominent in the marketing, John Boyega was the one with the lightsaber and all that). 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

Next March isn't going to come close box office wise to this March but I could see some healthy OW from Wreck it Ralph 2, The New Mutants and Ready Player One. RPO in particular if WB markets it right could open huge, 

Wreck It Ralph 2 will either be another Lego Batman (under $190M) or Toy Story 2 ($250M+) domestic 

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Batman V Superman could easily challenge $200m opening but panned by critic....... 

I seriously doubt that. It was already tracking at $120m-$140m before reviews came out, so I'd argue its best-case scenario was an opening weekend like Beauty and the Beast.

Its legs were definitely affected by the reviews, though. $400m+ domestic would have been easy if it hadn't been so controversial. 

Edited by Eevin
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

She's literally a fantasy mermaid who lives under the sea with a Jamaican crab. There's no reason she HAS to be white unless that's the only way you'll accept her. I think you'd be surprised how well-received that would be outside racists on the Internet. I think that most of the girls in real life that go crazy for Disney shit don't give a damn at all. And plenty of them would finally have a hero that looks like them. So what's the big deal? Cast who is best for the role, and don't care about what people on the Internet say.

I love it when Disney pushes the envelope.......but this ain't happening.

Way too much money riding on it

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Other important records of note:

- Biggest opening ever for a female-led film (The Force Awakens doesn't really count since the brand did all of the work there).

- Biggest opening ever for a musical (beating Pitch Perfect 2, lol).

Not a record.

TFA absolutely does count.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Wreck It Ralph 2 will either be another Lego Batman (under $190M) or Toy Story 2 ($250M+) domestic 

I don't see WIR decreasing but I imagine it'll either stay flat or a small increase. 

Just now, Ocho said:

I love it when Disney pushes the envelope.......but this ain't happening.

Way too much money riding on it

What's with this idea that non-white leads don't make money? Internationally, Furious 7 is the highest grossing non-Cameron movie of all-time with almost entirely non-white leads. Get Out right now is about to be one of the three biggest horror movies ever made. Straight Out of Compton and Hidden Figures are the highest grossing drama films (i.e. non blockbuster/action) of the past three years. It's just a myth.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Yeah, then BatB is the biggest one ever, beating The Hunger Games movies. The lead is clearly a female, and it was sold as that (Daily Ridley wasn't even that prominent in the marketing, John Boyega was the one with the lightsaber and all that). 

Ridley's the most prominent in the poster and trailers though.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eevin said:

I seriously doubt that. It was already tracking at $120m-$140m before reviews came out, so I'd argue its best-case scenario was an opening weekend like Beauty and the Beast.

Its legs were definitely affected by the reviews, though. $400m+ domestic would have been easy if it hadn't been so controversial. 

Legs weren't effected by the reviews, they were effected by people not liking the movie.  

• Like 4