Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Remember when people lost their shit and said F4 reboot would be bad because they cast Michael B. Jordan as Human Torch :lol: ? It is shame it was indeed awful, and those people felt victorious, because I wish they would have been proven wrong.

Human Torch being black had nothing to do with F4 being bad.

Just now, Beauty and The Panda said:

There were a lot of things wrong with F4, but Michael B Jordan wasn't one of them.

He was a great choice IMO (I always defended it in the thread). It is shame the whole project was a disaster. He was one of the few decent things in it. He has natural charisma. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Anyone who says BatB was unlikely to make over 150 m OW without Emma Watson simply doesn't know how much of a cultural phenomenon BatB was during the 90's.

and they forget that was a movie that emma watson as a lead, bombed......just did several hundred pound in its 1st week

What percentage of the GA do you think were unaware that this was a full-blown remake of the animated movie, songs and all? The Jungle Book trailers used the music from "The Bear Necessities" but wasn't a musical like the animated version. I ask because a few people sitting near me in my theater gasped when "Belle" started to play. I imagine that would've been a bit of a thrill if the musical scenes were unexpected and could generate 'must-see' WOM.  

• Like 2

I don't know what you all are even talking about. The lead character in TFA is a female; it's a female-led movie.

If you want to brag about some nonsensical 'biggest movie with a female at the centre of the marketing' record then knock yourselves out. :lol:

Edited by ddddeeee
  • Like 11

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Human Torch being black had nothing to do with F4 being bad.

Of course not, but even here you could have seen several people feeling vindicated because of the movie turning out to be bad, as if MBJ was the whole reason.

19 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

She's literally a fantasy mermaid who lives under the sea with a Jamaican crab. There's no reason she HAS to be white unless that's the only way you'll accept her. I think you'd be surprised how well-received that would be outside racists on the Internet. I think that most of the girls in real life that go crazy for Disney shit don't give a damn at all. And plenty of them would finally have a hero that looks like them. So what's the big deal? Cast who is best for the role, and don't care about what people on the Internet say.

This isn't exactly the same thing but I remember having the same arguement over Domino's casting in Deadpool. I kept hearing people say well Domino's skin is white so how would casting a WOC work....blah blah blah. At the end of the day the trolls got over it because like you said who cares what people on the Internet say. That's not what matters. What matters is getting the best actress or hell even actor for the role. 

Sometimes an actress or actor are perfect for a role. Their personality fits the role. Their movements etc. And that's the way casting should work. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, David98 said:

What percentage of the GA do you think were unaware that this was a full-blown remake of the animated movie, songs and all? The Jungle Book trailers used the music from "The Bear Necessities" but wasn't a musical like the animated version. I ask because a few people sitting near me in my theater gasped when "Belle" started to play. I imagine that would've been a bit of a thrill if the musical scenes were unexpected and could generate 'must-see' WOM.  

There were trailers and TV spots featuring Emma Watson singing the Belle reprise, so it's not like they were hiding it or anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Doesn't change the fact that Beauty and the Beast is a female-led blockbuster and Star Wars will never be sold as such.

Rogue One? The Last Jedi probably as well? :ph34r:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

A Tom Hanks film will never be "dumped". It already has trailers in front of bigger films in theaters.

A Hologram for the King felt like it was dumped 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Remember when people lost their shit and said F4 reboot would be bad because they cast Michael B. Jordan as Human Torch :lol: ? It is shame it was indeed awful, and those people felt victorious, because I wish they would have been proven wrong.

Everyone knows the failure of FF was because it was a terrible movie.

Also the success of multicultural TFA and RO >>>> any argument that racist backlash hurts movies

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

A Hologram for the King felt like it was dumped 

The only place where A Hologram for the King wasn't dumped was in Portugal :lol: