Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

Just because Harrison Ford was top billed in TFA doesn't mean TFA wasn't a female led blockbuster. The story is literally centered around Daisey Ridley's character. She wasn't gonna get paid as much as Ford because she's not freaking Harrison Ford. That doesn't suddenly change the narrative or story in TFA

Edited by Nova
  • Like 13

At 249 million, this weekend overall is the 9th biggest weekend of all-time, but depending on if things increase from actuals, it could end up the 5th biggest weekend ever. It it increases by only one million, it will become the biggest weekend outside of summer or December ever.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

At 249 million, this weekend overall is the 9th biggest weekend of all-time, but depending on if things increase from actuals, it could end up the 5th biggest weekend ever. It it increases by only one million, it will become the biggest weekend outside of summer or December ever.

According to EmpireCity, BatB will increase by more than just a million, so as long as the other estimates are close...

• Like 3

The BO of the original BATB isn't the only factor in its popularity.  Most of the millenials excited about it because of their childhood didn't see the movie in theaters anyways.

The film is a staple in home collections.

• Like 3

Just now, CJohn said:

According to EmpireCity, BatB will increase by more than just a million, so as long as the other estimates are close...

I'm not stunned. I booked tickets this morning for me and my niece to go and the best I could do was a 3:30 show in the second row. And they have showings in 2D every half hour! Business is crazy today again. I had been saying this was gonna be more frontloaded and play closer to a YA franchise film but then I tried to buy us tickets yesterday and I went uh oh.......I'm gonna be eating crow, methinks.

• Like 1

Beauty and the Beast slayed the Beast at box office.

Kong is a beast that managed to hold a bigger beast.

Logan is a beast that had to deal with other beasts, and is holding well like a true beast.

Get Out is the Beast that is getting out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAR said:

So will Disney surpass its gross from last year.  I'd say it's pretty likely.  I can't see Pirates having a low gross like Alice 

Pirates won't completely tank like Alice 2 did but after so many unnecessary/unwanted sequels have been flopping the past two years it's hard to not see anything but franchise-low grosses, and by a comfortable margin too.

Cars 3 is also somewhat of a wild card. If it somehow ends up with an even worse reception than the second...

3 minutes ago, Beauty and The Panda said:

The BO of the original BATB isn't the only factor in its popularity.  Most of the millenials excited about it because of their childhood didn't see the movie in theaters anyways.

The film is a staple in home collections.

BatB was big in theaters but was massive on home video. I don't think half the people at my showing were even alive when the original came out (neither were I for that matter...)

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

I've only seen one trailer for the Circle one time and it has the same glossy sheen and super clear Blu-Ray esque framerate as a TV show. Every movie seems to be doing that shit now. I think that's another reason I liked Kong: it felt like I was actually watching a cinematic movie, not a good Netflix episode.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Pirates won't completely tank like Alice 2 did but after so many unnecessary/unwanted sequels have been flopping the past two years it's hard to not see anything but franchise-low grosses, and by a comfortable margin too.

Cars 3 is also somewhat of a wild card. If it somehow ends up with an even worse reception than the second...

I think Cars 3 will have better reviews, Pirates will do okay but it'll be the second lowest OW of the franchise but OS will save it.

Just now, filmlover said:

I could still see Cars 3 with a 150 million.  And Pirates with 175 maybe 200.  Definitely lowest grossing.  Pirates should still be a beast internationally 

6 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

The Circle will probably do something like 25/75 and be a decent hit.  Can't imagine it doing much more.

What in the hell are people smoking when it comes to these The Circle predictions?

That movie not going to do any significant business.  First, it is being essentially dumped.  Second, it won't get any sort of good screen count because every theater that isn't a megaplex is going to be on clear out to get as many Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 screens as they can get.  I will be shocked it it does more than $25m total and might do half that.  

• Like 13