Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Well around 9 people quoted my post in the past 5 minutes, so excuse me for not responding to it all, but basically, here's the gist of what I have to say.

One of the things that I despise the most in movies is when they take no risks.  The ones that, instead of actually putting effort into creating something a bit new, just throw their budget into a rehash.  And that's exactly what this movie did.  Almost every scene felt like it was added in purely for nostalgia.  And once the initial "charm" of "oh hey i remember that!" wears off, it just leaves a sour taste in your mouth.  It didn't have a soul at all.  The entire reason the film was made was so they could shove it out into theaters, knowing full well everyone will shell out $15 to see it.  It was a corporate film made to make a shit ton of money.  They could've at least tried to go The Jungle Book-route and changed it up from the original animated version, or the Pete's Dragon route, but noooppppppee.

Jungle Book had changes because the original movie was no perfect.
1991 BATB was a MASTERPIECE, so many of us didn't want changes, we just wanted something very similar but expanded.

• Like 5

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I perfer my Coolio posts smart and clever

A plurality of America preferred their president to be that too.  To bad many of them stayed home and left us this mess.

This is the situation you're creating now by not upgrading to gold and giving him your likes. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i could've made a bingo card for every sentence in this take.

"Pete's Dragon" reference? Check

Complaining about no risks? Check

Nostalgia criticism? Check

No soul? Check

Angst of Ethan? Check

@That One Guy you should've lowered your expectations. It's still Disney, who tries to appeal to a mass audience. They're not in the business of making masterpieces. That's why it's gonna do gangbusters. 

Plus, it's a film industry. Their JOB is to make money.

• Like 8

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i could've made a bingo card for every sentence in this take.

Well excuse me for not being a literary genius on the level of Shakespeare right now.  I'm pretty much just trickling my thoughts on the movie right now, not trying to actually write something insightful.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Well excuse me for not being a literary genius on the level of Shakespeare right now.  I'm pretty much just trickling my thoughts on the movie right now, not trying to actually write something insightful.

Another Reddit-type line? Sad!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Well around 9 people quoted my post in the past 5 minutes, so excuse me for not responding to it all, but basically, here's the gist of what I have to say.

One of the things that I despise the most in movies is when they take no risks.  The ones that, instead of actually putting effort into creating something a bit new, just throw their budget into a rehash.  And that's exactly what this movie did.  Almost every scene felt like it was added in purely for nostalgia.  And once the initial "charm" of "oh hey i remember that!" wears off, it just leaves a sour taste in your mouth.  It didn't have a soul at all.  The entire reason the film was made was so they could shove it out into theaters, knowing full well everyone will shell out $15 to see it.  It was a corporate film made to make a shit ton of money.  They could've at least tried to go The Jungle Book-route and changed it up from the original animated version, or the Pete's Dragon route, but noooppppppee.

Hmm. I know all of this before I step foot inside the theater and it's not making me any less excite for BatB.

Yay for realistic expectations.

Just now, That One Guy said:

rehash criticism. no creative risks at all. C-.

• Like 7