Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

42 minutes ago, PDC1987 said:

A Tom Hanks film will never be "dumped". It already has trailers in front of bigger films in theaters.

Didn't this happen last year...it was set in the Middle East, [Something] with the King? I remember seeing ads for it the first time about a week before it came out and thinking, WTF is this? The Circle really isn't being advertised much for something that comes out next month and stars Tom Hanks as a Sinister Steve Jobs type, plus Tech Genius Hermione. I haven't heard much good out of the screenings, though. 

29 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What's with this idea that non-white leads don't make money? Internationally, Furious 7 is the highest grossing non-Cameron movie of all-time with almost entirely non-white leads. Get Out right now is about to be one of the three biggest horror movies ever made. Straight Out of Compton and Hidden Figures are the highest grossing drama films (i.e. non blockbuster/action) of the past three years. It's just a myth.

27 minutes ago, XO21 said:

People were losing it at the possibility of Zendaya playing MJ...so sadly I don't see it happening

Considering Disney thought BatB's exclusively gay moment was worth promoting as progressive, I'm not holding my breath for them to step out of the box in casting these live action remakes. Saying that audiences will see new stories that are about people who aren't white, doesn't necessarily help the case for recasting anoldcharacter people are used to seeing a very specific way. I agree Ariel's race is not a specific element of her experience but is Disney willing to take that risk? They will probably choose to be more diverse in ways that won't cause so much drama for them.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

v1.bTsxMTE3MzAwMDtqOzE3NDA0OzIwNDg7ODAwO

C'mon man, Universal saw that they had a good movie and that Thor was a relatively weak Summer opener. It was genius scheduling tbh. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I feel like Power Rangers is destined to underperform now in the wake of BATB along with Logan and Kong making a huge dent. Are there any actual 90s kids that were clamoring for this to begin with? The new generation probably doesn't care either.

I would love a properly done Power Rangers film. But not one where they couldn't even get Rita's look correct and features Elizabeth Banks knowingly chewing every stitch of scenery from start to end.

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think STX will push it to 2,500 theaters or so (unless you already know it won't have that numbers of theaters).

They might possibly get that, but I think it will be closer to what they were able to get for The Edge of Seventeen.  

I like STX, but man they pick some shitty release dates.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

C'mon man, Universal saw that they had a good movie and that Thor was a relatively weak Summer opener. It was genius scheduling tbh. 

Plus the whole idea was to kickstart summer a week early.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Maybe the Circle ends with the GOAT ending song like Fast Five drastically increasing Box Office

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

They might possibly get that, but I think it will be closer to what they were able to get for The Edge of Seventeen.  

I like STX, but man they pick some shitty release dates.  

I think Europacorp are distributing it along with STX but I could be wrong but you wonder if they know the film's not good hence the bad release date. 

59 minutes ago, cookie said:

The Circle is getting dumped. Can't see it do more than $10m OW IMO.

I'm not sure why they are opening this wide, it's clearly an indie.

STX is trying to capitalize on B&B. 

Edited by Harley

I'm excited to watch Power Rangers. I'm obviously in the minority, but I'm feeling that it can turn into a quite good "guilty pleasure" movie, just like Resident Evil flicks.

It'll probably make ok business overseas ( in Japan and China, I guess ). At least it doesn't have a budget of 185 million + 135 million for marketing/promotion. ;)

I also think it won't be another Fant4stic, like some are claiming. I mean, the trailer alone has more action than the whole FF 2015 movie. It also seems to be funnier than FF. People should stop talking about FF. Its opening weekend is unpredictable, so I have no idea about numbers.

Edited by Blaze Heatnix