Dementeleus

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 minute ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney is just on a hot streak right now. Two years from now you might be asking "what happened to Disney? They're in a big slump now". 

This stuff is all cyclical, nothing lasts forever among the majors, good or bad. 

You said that last year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cassie516 said:

And Spider-Man this year!

That's a Sony movie, not Disney. It's complicated.

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

It kind of reflects the quality of the series.

Two great films.  A not nearly as good as the other two but not as bad as people make it out to be film.  A somewhat enjoyable film.  A yeah that one isn't very good film.

...ehh, if it really reflected the quality of the series, SM3 wouldn't have done over 300M or more than TASM (which, while I don't love, I still like more than SM3). Granted, I don't hate SM3 either, just saying. TASM2 can swallow my web threads, though.

But I'm with most of you folks, I actually don't think SMH will make over 300M. Well, it could, but I don't think it will. It's too much competition (Apes, Dunkirk, Dark Tower), and the goodwill on the SM franchise has downgraded significantly since SM3. Still, I think ASM1 numbers are achievable, especially since Iron Man's in this, and Tom Holland got great reception in Civil War. If it's an excellent, SM2 quality film, then I could see it sneak past 300M maybe w/a fudgejob that only Sony is capable of, but not much more. I'd love to be wrong, but right now, the hype just doesn't seem as big as a few months ago, anyway.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Disney is just on a hot streak right now. Two years from now you might be asking "what happened to Disney? They're in a big slump now". 

This stuff is all cyclical, nothing lasts forever among the majors, good or bad. 

Star Wars, Marvel and Pixar, sprinkled in with these live action remakes and Disney animation should keep the Mouse on top until at least the end of the decade. 

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Trailer views are behind DM3, F8, Alien, and Pirates. Even Logan had more views at a similar period in time.

PR will show this weekend that trailer views mean absolutely nothing. PR has more views than Guardians 2 and it will still flop

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Trailer views are behind DM3, F8, Alien, and Pirates. Even Logan had more views at a similar period in time.

However all will likely do less OW especially Alien and Pirates.

1 hour ago, arpiaaaa said:

Guardians is not very well-know is many countries (mine, for example)
maybe its OW will begreat, but its WW...........

Fun story, I actually watched GOTG in Badajoz. It was like in its 3rd weekend, and it was raining outside. 2D showing, btw. IT WAS SOLD OUT. Well... except for the front seats, and there were still only a few left. We had to buy front seat tickets because I had told myself that I hadn't come that far and waited that long only to go see some other shit like TMNT on the theaters. I was there for Guardians, so we front seated it. It was a bit physically painful, but the movie was awesome.

11 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

Don't sleep on Despicable 3. Gonna be YUUUUUGE everywhere.

I don't doubt that, but in OW terms..... it would be lucky to match Minions, nevermind Finding Dory, never even close to mind Beauty And The Beast.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, franfar said:

I remember SP 3 was kind of entertaining (dare I say underrated?), but yeah, I see why the reviews were trash.

Amazing Spider-Man was pretty good when I first saw it in theaters, but when I look back on it, I don't like it at all. Haven't bothered with AS2. 

Original Spider-Man was good but not as good as the hype IMO.

Spider-Man 3 is fresh on RT.

2 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fun story, I actually watched GOTG in Badajoz. It was like in its 3rd weekend, and it was raining outside. 2D showing, btw. IT WAS SOLD OUT. Well... except for the front seats, and there were still only a few left. We had to buy front seat tickets because I had told myself that I hadn't come that far and waited that long only to go see some other shit like TMNT on the theaters. I was there for Guardians, so we front seated it. It was a bit physically painful, but the movie was awesome.

Many people don't even know what  GOTF is.
Of course it will make some money here, comic nerds love it¡

But it's nothing compare to BATB or SW or superheroes like Spiderman, Batman....

• Like 1

@arpiaaaa Naturally. Just took the opening to say that :) Although, if you mean many people all over the world don't know GOTG, I really don't know about that. Just show them a pic of Groot and they'll recognize it, for sure. If you mean Spain, I can see that, yeah.

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I mean, I get your point, but like @Alli said, Power Rangers has 26M views in its top trailers (10M than GOTG's best performing one), and it'll still open to a ceiling of 45M, while Guardians is almost certain to go over 100M. I do understand your skepticism for 400M, but trailer views shouldn't really be the driving force for that, it's just that the franchise itself doesn't have that much power yet. However, if it has anywhere near the same legs to the original (which it won't, but opening bigger might still help its cause), it'll be considerable.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

Remember Touchstone Pictures? Are they still around? I am old enough to remember when Disney’s Touchstone division was a solid performer releasing a steady stream od box office comedy hits from the likes of Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Whoopi Goldberg. Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, etc. I remember the Touchstone logo always making me feel that I was about to have a great time. Anyone knows what happened to them?

2 minutes ago, MrMarosa said:

Remember Touchstone Pictures? Are they still around? I am old enough to remember when Disney’s Touchstone division was a solid performer releasing a steady stream od box office comedy hits from the likes of Bette Midler, Goldie Hawn, Whoopi Goldberg. Richard Dreyfuss, Tom Hanks, Tom Cruise, etc. I remember the Touchstone logo always making me feel that I was about to have a great time. Anyone knows what happened to them?

They basically went away other than to distribute DreamWorks films (and they aren't with Disney anymore so now it's completely defunct).

Edited by filmlover

12 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

@arpiaaaa Naturally. Just took the opening to say that :) Although, if you mean many people all over the world don't know GOTG, I really don't know about that. Just show them a pic of Groot and they'll recognize it, for sure. If you mean Spain, I can see that, yeah.

I mean, I get your point, but like @Alli said, Power Rangers has 26M views in its top trailers (10M than GOTG's best performing one), and it'll still open to a ceiling of 45M, while Guardians is almost certain to go over 100M. I do understand your skepticism for 400M, but trailer views shouldn't really be the driving force for that, it's just that the franchise itself doesn't have that much power yet. However, if it has anywhere near the same legs to the original (which it won't, but opening bigger might still help its cause), it'll be considerable.

Also the blockbuster Max Steel had 32M views and had a record shattering $2M OW.