Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

1 minute ago, franfar said:

We should wait until reliable Friday #s come in before declaring this an underperformer. We don't know what the legs are gonna be before freaking out or trolling

That's true, Beauty might end up having Beast legs guys!  I've seen scenarios play out like this many times before!  It's practically a tale as old as Telemachos time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The expectations according to Deadline and their sources are that 40% of BATB business will be family biz - not HG like in that respect at all.

It's a weird hybrid because it's a highly anticipated remake. So it's not going to play like a pure family film even though demographically it is. 

• Like 2

There is absolutely no precedent for a movie like Beauty and the Beast making this much in previews. None. The only other PG-rated movie to come close is Half-Blood Prince with $22m, which really shouldn't count given the massive fan rush factor. 

Jurassic World / Avengers-type legs get this to around $181m for the weekend, which would be insane. Could it go higher? $200m+? Absolutely.

That's the magic of box Office.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

If the film has insanely high preview numbers, then I'm gonna join SteveJaros' WB domination club because fuck life.

INB4 The Lego Ninjago Movie has a $200M+ OW.

Just now, Eevin said:

There is absolutely no precedent for a movie like Beauty and the Beast making this much in previews. None. The only other PG-rated movie to come close is Half-Blood Prince with $22m, which really shouldn't count given the massive fan rush factor. 

Jurassic World / Avengers-type legs get this to around $181m for the weekend, which would be insane. Could it go higher? $200m+? Absolutely.

No, clearly we have to say it's DoA. Otherwise, you're deluded.

4 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Despite the huge night, sources believe that Beauty and the Beast isn’t frontloaded, but will play and play throughout the weekend.

Says one non Disney studio executive about Beauty‘s Thursday, “It’s playing like Star Wars among female audiences.”

Good to know, it makes me happy.

Huge numbers give me boners.

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

I mean this has the same fan rush factor. It's a remake of a highly popular film

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

Are you suggesting that BATB doesn't have a massive fan rush factor? I mean, c'mon now. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

It's a weird hybrid because it's a highly anticipated remake. So it's not going to play like a pure family film even though demographically it is. 

I could see a somewhat Sorceror's Stone type run.  That was a YA/Family Hybrid

• Like 1

Just now, Arlborn said:

Good to know, it makes me happy.

Huge numbers give me boners.

Talk to the Doctor if BOTagra is right for you.

BOTagra: Gets you as big than BKB we he uses BIG BOLDED CAPITAL LETTERS 

• Like 1

Right in between the crazy 20M+ previews and the lowballing by DHD. Ultimately, for a family movie, 16.3M is gigantic. For comparision's sake, The Jungle Book only did 4.2M and still opened over 100M (though, of course, TJB was nowhere near this frontloaded). This really is something that we've never seen before at the box office - a Disney family movie opening to this kind of previews. Will it still see the typical family movie huge daily jumps or will it suffer from frontloadedness?

Edited by MCKillswitch123

8 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

I think there's a good chance Saturday is only a modest jump, or even close to flat. 

theres certainly the possibilty, depending on the Friday number.  But I know so, so many young families hitting this for matinees Saturday.