Plain Old Tele

BEAUTY AND THE BEAST WEEKEND THREAD | Late Sunday Numbers (Asgard) - 48-49M | Official Weekend Estimate: 170M; OS OW: 180M; WW OW: 350M

2 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

It's a weird hybrid because it's a highly anticipated remake. So it's not going to play like a pure family film even though demographically it is. 

Saturday will likely stay flat with Friday minus previews since it's gonna play very heavily to families as well (being a big Disney movie and all). Finding Dory is probably a good comparison, even though that opened in the summer.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

Unfortunately the box-office landscape has changed so much I don't know how helpful this comp is. 

True.  I'd also say Finding Dory is a good comp, but this looks more frontloaded than that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TelemAAchos said:

It's a weird hybrid because it's a highly anticipated remake. So it's not going to play like a pure family film even though demographically it is. 

I don't think any of the tent pole Disney Fantasy/Fairy Tale/ Animation movies play like pure family films.  They all have a healthy share of adult sans kids audience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TelemAAchos said:

Are you suggesting that BATB doesn't have a massive fan rush factor? I mean, c'mon now. 

It does, but compared to something like Harry Potter it's barely even on the map. It's more Avengers frontloaded than Potter frontloaded, if you catch my drift.

Edited by Eevin

The pre-sales for BATB alone should tell you that this film has a huge fan rush aspect to it. That doesnt mean there won't be walk-ups but to act like its been playing exactly like a family film up this point is simply not true based on how huge its pre-sales were/are. 

• Like 2