FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

It just weird that they didn't release it in 3D, considering how studios are still trying to push that format despite the well-known backlash.

They didn't bothered to release Allegiant in 3D either.

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

It's even weirder when you mention Insurgence. It's not like Lionsgate hasn't released movies in 3D before. Oh well, at least they won't lose a fortune on PR's I guess.

Yes, but Lionsgate won't loose money with PR. Prob who will lose will be the international distributors.

I saw the Jungle Book in IMAX 3D and before that I hadn't seen a 3D movie since that Oz movie. I actively plan my movie going schedule around not having to see something in 3D. If a 3D showing is at a time wayyyyy more convenient than the 2D, I will still either see the 2D at the worse time or wait till the next day or weekend. It's an expensive fucking disaster that ruins the picture quality and gives me a pounding headache. It makes movies straight up unwatchable to me. I know most people think 3D is annoying but for me it goes past annoying and into movie ruining if I have to watch something in 3D, unless it has really special 3D like Avatar or Jungle Book or a theme park ride. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, baumer said:

I have to amend my last post to you....when JW was first announced, many here thought it would do UNDER 300 MILLION.

Have a read....this is funny.

I know, I was one of them. My original prediction was something like $250m DOM/$450m OS. Then after the trailer got a surprisingly huge amount of views, I upped it to $300m/$550m, but I still thought that was an optimistic prediction. Little did I know, it ended up doubling that amount. But that's why I love box office. You usually fare well looking at previous statistics/records and then guessing off those, but sometimes films defy any reasonable gross and you can't help but marvel at that.

My Straight Outta Compton over 55 OW club three weeks out from release when most people were predicting Walk The Line numbers like 25 OW is still my proudest moment in board history. I also just this month had a Power Rangers over Kong OW and DOM club, so it goes to show we all have our home runs and strikeouts. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I saw the Jungle Book in IMAX 3D and before that I hadn't seen a 3D movie since that Oz movie. I actively plan my movie going schedule around not having to see something in 3D. If a 3D showing is at a time wayyyyy more convenient than the 2D, I will still either see the 2D at the worse time or wait till the next day or weekend. It's an expensive fucking disaster that ruins the picture quality and gives me a pounding headache. It makes movies straight up unwatchable to me. I know most people think 3D is annoying but for me it goes past annoying and into movie ruining if I have to watch something in 3D, unless it has really special 3D like Avatar or Jungle Book or a theme park ride. 

I am the same way. Sad that the IMAX Corporation pushes 3D so hard. There are a lot of large format fans who strongly prefer 2D. I tend to stick with Regal's 2D showings in RPX format. Few bucks cheaper than IMAX but main benefit is avoiding the headaches I get with 3D. Plus I feel like 3D makes the screen look smaller than it should. Pretty much ruins the concept of IMAX to begin with. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, baumer said:

Life's budget is small enough that no matter what it makes, it's not going to be a albatross for Sony.  I'm sure they wanted it to do well, but the 58M budget and perhaps the same in marketing, isn't going to cripple them.

I actually find it amusing when other folks talk about the box office because most don't have any concept of how it works. I visit another forum and to them Life is a massive bomb because they only take into account the domestic number and don't think about anything else. Its an underperformer, in Sony's eyes, for sure....but its not a massive bomb which unfortunately is how folks will take it....welp looks like Reynolds and Gyllenhaal starred in another bomb....and Rebecca Ferguson shouldn't be cast in high budget films. 

Thats the take away most will get from it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They didn't bothered to release Allegiant in 3D either.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised!

9 minutes ago, alisson23 said:

Yes, but Lionsgate won't loose money with PR. Prob who will lose will be the international distributors.

Correct! Lionsgate knows how to work out good deals at least. Sucks for the foreign companies though

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

3D makes me nauseous. It just ruins the whole movie going experience for me. I don't know how or why people still watch things in 3D. 

• Like 1

According to boxofficemojo, PR will perform like Independence Day: Resurgence ( 41 opening weekend and finished with 100 million domestic ) or The Legend of Tarzan ( with a 38.5 million opening and 124 million final ) 

At least, it seems the world of mouth is good. Audiences are giving it a A. I mean, those who watched it, like me. XD

Finishing in second place is Lionsgate's release of Saban's Power Rangers, which brought in an estimated $40.5 million from 3,693 locations. This result finds the film delivering in the high end of pre-release tracking and opening day audiences showed they enjoyed what they saw, scoring it with an "A" CinemaScore. Of that audience 30% were under the age of 18 and gave the film an "A+" CinemaScore. Further demographic breakdown saw the audience made up of 60% male moviegoers vs. 40% female, of which 50% of the audience was over the age of 25.

Looking ahead it will be interesting to see just how high the domestic total can climb for the $100 million production as last year saw Independence Day: Resurgence open with $41 million and only go on to gross just over $100 million. However, The Legend of Tarzan debuted with $38.5 million and finished its domestic run over $125 million. A performance closer to Tarzan's seems more likely, but next weekend will be the tell-tale sign as to just how front-loaded this film was, but with an "A" CinemaScore and a strong performance with audiences under the age of 18 it could prove to have strong legs over the coming weeks.

Internationally, Power Rangers debuted in 62 markets and delivered an estimated $18.7 million for a $59.2 million worldwide debut. Of the territories in which the film was released, Mexico led the way with an estimated $3 million followed by a $2.1 million opening in Brazil, the film finished second in both markets. Power Rangers also finished second in the UK with an estimated $2.1 million. The film has yet to open in plenty of major markets including upcoming early April releases in France, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Finland and Sweden followed by a late April release in South Korea and a mid-July release in Japan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

Power rangers is gonna do 

$200,000,000 domestic

$200,000,000 overseas

$400,000,000 WW

$100,000,000 in Japan

$50,000,000 in korea

At this point, you are either trolling or just massively misinformed about the box office.  PR will do at most will 110.  More than likely it will do around 100.

• Like 2