FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Admittedly I do think PR may have had a better OW and run in August. I'm seeing it in a few minutes with my school friends.

The date the TV show debuted was August 28, 1993.   It's easy to see how the marketing would work around an August release date for a Power Rangers movie.

6 minutes ago, Outrageous! said:

There is something else from that Variety article I wanted to discuss:

What is Bob Iger and the rest of Disney thinking this weekend?  I know "Beauty and the Beast" is huge at the box office, and I am doubtful he regrets selling the Power Rangers rights.  There were rumors long ago that Disney wanted to create a Power Rangers animated series, but Toei, the Japanese company that co-owns Power Rangers told them no.  I've noticed that Haim Saban usually tries to not mention Toei when discussing Power Rangers.

They are thinking we just made a boat load of cash from BATB. I seriously doubt the care about PR right now. Honestly,Saban came off like a prick in that article. It's not like since he bought it back it's been doing great. The current series is producing like 0.5 or 0.6 right now. lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Admittedly I do think PR may have had a better OW and run in August. I'm seeing it in a few minutes with my school friends.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it, like me. Movie was great, imo! :)

My wife also loved it, and she's not a PR fan, by the way. Theater was full, audience liked it and also laughed at some jokes.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh, I remember when someone brought up that Life would be a very light R. Hahahahahaha

Yeah. Had a few disturbing scenes. Nothing overly bloody or gory but enough to let your imagination fill in the rest. 

Dont click below if you haven't seen the movie!

Spoiler

Mainly talking about Reynolds death here. 

Edited by DealWithIt

Saw Power Rangers today at 1:55 pm in my Town. About 33% filled. But when it ended at 4..as we headed out..place was pretty crowded. 

I enjoyed it. I had low expectations since I'm my not familiar when the franchise. I mean we had the '95 film on VHS but I have not seen it in years. 

I was upset the cut a certain scene from the trailers but that is a small thing. Def worth the $7.25. 

• Like 1

I don't know why we'd be talking about PR in any serious fashion. I mean the movie looked absolutely terrible. Why would that be any surprise?! Even when I was 5, it was way too cheesy to watch and I never spent any time watching that crap. It was laughable. The only good thing to come out of Power Rangers was Amy Jo Johnson, the pink ranger. That was it. 

7 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I don't know why we'd be talking about PR in any serious fashion. I mean the movie looked absolutely terrible. Why would that be any surprise?! Even when I was 5, it was way too cheesy to watch and I never spent any time watching that crap. It was laughable. The only good thing to come out of Power Rangers was Amy Jo Johnson, the pink ranger. That was it. 

Oh by all means, continue to regale us about how your five-year-old tastes were so sophisticated while simultaneously putting down anyone who thinks otherwise. It's totally endearing and not at all unflattering to you.

Edited by johnboy3434
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Oh what a cult kid

5 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Because I wanted it to be cheesy fun or so bad it's good.

But it was just a wasted opportunity. 

Just now, johnboy3434 said:

When the Deadline article says that Lionsgate has 25% exposure on Power Rangers, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that they've already covered 75% of the costs selling the foreign distribution rights, among other things?

Yes exactly that - it has been Lionsgate mode of operation for a long time. Mitigates the bombs but loses them out on big profits when there is a hit (think Hunger Games)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnboy3434 said:

When the Deadline article says that Lionsgate has 25% exposure on Power Rangers, what exactly does that mean? Does it mean that they've already covered 75% of the costs selling the foreign distribution rights, among other things?

Yeh they only have 25% of the total cost at risk. They only have US and UK grosses to cover.