FlashMaster659

WEEKEND THREAD | Official Weekend Estimates: Beauty and the Beast - 88.3M; Power Rangers - 40.5M; Life - 12.6M; Other Numbers First Post. Gokira has been threadbanned.

9 minutes ago, Momo said:

^They made a movie called Slamma Jamma? lol Who was it director by Ice Tea?

A guy named Timothy A. Chey. His previous work includes a film called Suing the Devil, a film literally about a guy suing Satan (played by Malcolm McDowell!) for $8 trillion. Also two separate movies about the rapture.

I bet Power Rangers would have made it to 50 mill had it larger theaters, more showings, and no buy one get one free ticket promo.

I think Life could do well during the weekdays (4 mill +, 17 mill 7-day total) because of possible sold out showings from small theaters and spillover business for people who just need a proper time slot to see it.  However, I see it dropping to under 6 million next weekend like what Chappie did 2 years ago when it opened against Cinderella and Run All Night.  Ghost in the Shell will devour the audience.

CHAPPIE

Mar 6–8          1 $13,346,782    - 3,201   -   $4,170   $13,346,782      1
Mar 13–15 5        $5,703,935     -57.3%    3,201 - $1,782 $23,316,696      2
Edited by Matrix4You

After a $38.6M Saturday that saw a 64% spike over Friday, Disney’s Beauty and the Beast is now looking at $89.7M in its second run at No. 1, followed by Lionsgate’s theatrical reboot of 1990s franchise Saban’s Power Rangers which is looking at $40M.

Sony/Skydance’s Ryan Reynolds-Jake Gyllenhaal sci-fi R-rated pic Life (estimated $12.4M-$13M in fourth) and running Warner Bros.’ Dax Shepard-Kristen Bell-Michael Pena R-rated big screen reboot of 1980s TV series CHIPS off the road ( still $7.3M in 7th)

Saturday deposited $14.75M into Power Rangers’ bank account, -2% from Friday’s $15M which included $3.6M Thursday previews

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I bet Power Rangers would have made it to 50 mill had it larger theaters, more showings, and no buy one get one free ticket promo.

I think Life could do well during the weekdays (4 mill +, 17 mill 7-day total) because of possible sold out showings from small theaters and spillover business for people who just need a proper time slot to see it.  However, I see it dropping to under 6 million next weekend like what Chappie did 2 years ago when it opened against Cinderella and Run All Night.  Ghost in the Shell will devour the audience.

CHAPPIE

Mar 6–8          1 $13,346,782    - 3,201   -   $4,170   $13,346,782      1
Mar 13–15 5        $5,703,935     -57.3%    3,201 - $1,782 $23,316,696      2

I don't know. I found Ghost in the Shell trailers to be uninteresting. Never was a fan of the anime growing up myself. Felt other anime was better.

Well that's actually mildly encouraging. Unless it falls like a Marvel film Power Rangers is likely to crack $40 million. Even Out of the Shadows only fell 24.7% on Sunday.

Edited by Xillix

7 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

If it has Insurgent legs, it will make it to 100.

I think it will reach 100M. Will it go over, slighty maybe. Legend of Tarzan is a prime example. It made around the same amount OW. Took in 126M in the US.

3 minutes ago, Momo said:

I think it will reach 100M. Will it go over, slighty maybe. Legend of Tarzan is a prime example. It made around the same amount OW. Took in 126M in the US.

Won't have the same WOM as Tarzan. Was a decent hit with seniors crowd rather than fanboy crowd. I'd say 100-105 is the target.

Yeah Legend of Tarzan had some really crazy legs for... frankly some reason I can't personally fathom. 

Speaking of WOM, Power Rangers has amazingly gone UP on IMDb since its premiere. It's at 7.2 now. Obviously that doesn't prove anything but I'm sure surprised.

2 minutes ago, Xillix said:

Yeah Legend of Tarzan had some really crazy legs for... frankly some reason I can't personally fathom. 

Speaking of WOM, Power Rangers has amazingly gone UP on IMDb since its premiere. It's at 7.2 now. Obviously that doesn't prove anything but I'm sure surprised.

V

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Won't have the same WOM as Tarzan. Was a decent hit with seniors crowd rather than fanboy crowd. I'd say 100-105 is the target.

The various audience indicators suggest that the word of mouth on PR will be fairly solid as well.