WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

5 minutes ago, Nova said:

Oh please. GITS's critical and so far box office performance (based on deadline's numbers) has little to do with the so called white washing. For every critic who may have pointed it out, you have twenty calling the film mediocre and just not very good except from a visual perspective.

Bottom line is folks just weren't that interested in seeing Scarlett Johansson run around in a naked body suit. Add to the fact that the film is apparently mediocre and this is why you've got a $110Mfilm chilling at 43% on RT and a $23M opening. 

It's nothing more and nothing less than that. 

Yeah, 23M is bad any way you slice it. People were just not into the movie. The trailers did it no favors as well.

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, franfar said:

Sausage Party has 83% on RT so.....

Yeah, and? Just because I disagree with 83% of critics doesn't mean their praise of Sausage Party is wrong. It's their opinion. :)

Just now, Chewy said:

Nah BvS had themes for decades and so much characterization and it still got torn apart, critics are just hacks

well yes I know the movie feels like it takes decades to sit through but that doesn't mean it has "themes for decades". If anything, it has freshman English as it's themes. :ph34r:

• Like 1

Aren't there more appropriate threads for all the whitewashing/political discussion? Like the Ghost in the Shell movie thread or the Politics subforum? I just wanna hear about box office here >.>

• Like 3

Just now, Xillix said:

Aren't there more appropriate threads for all the whitewashing/political discussion? Like the Ghost in the Shell movie thread or the Politics subforum? I just wanna hear about box office here >.>

We don't have new #s, so there's not much to talk about

• Like 1

Just now, Xillix said:

the box office is good right now. so many movies doing good box office. it's a good time to be box office.

• Like 6

• Community Manager
Just now, Xillix said:

I guess we could talk about the infantization of America's leadership through Boss Baby but...

:P

(There are more appropriate threads but it's not entirely off-topic either to discuss whitewashing in here either.)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Great, now we're probably gonna get a bunch of dudes saying "Actually, it's not a cartoon - it's an anime." These guys just can't accept they love a fucking cartoon. It's cool, man. Lion King is dope.

Those people are always fun to fuck around with

• Like 1

Just now, MrPink said:

I'd hit your designated weak spot but I'm not here to make you go Donald and leave the thread.

64YWIbd.gif

tfw you didn't want this job

Edited by franfar
  • Like 1

Never got the "why are we so off-topic" posts in the box office thread. Numbers come in three times a day and we talk about them for an hour and then go back to schlongs and Pink's hairline. There's only so many times you can say "Wow, Beauty and the Beast is doing great!" Then again, there's only so many times Pink can say something about the Boffies, and we're still letting him do it.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I agree. Change everything of the setting and make it American, that would definitely help for sure. You will have fans of the anime yelling but that is a small minority.

Death Note is set in America and people are screaming bloody murder over whitewashing with that. Probably mostly people who have never heard of Death Note before and want to look like they are doing something.