WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

6 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

The casting shit on the fans.

Did the original anime shit on fans cause that Major has blue eyes too.

Next thing you know people will be outraged Naruto is played by a blonde white kid.

The white-washing controversy is stupid. She's a robot in a post-racial, transhuman Japan. It doesn't matter if her ROBOT body has blue eyes (like the original anime, lol). 

I think there should be more Asian, A-list superstars but this is the wrong hill to die on.

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 4

I'm pretty sure there's a ton of people who'll bitch about anime characters being played by white people even if they're explicitly said to be white. If the Attack on Titan movie happen just watch this exact thing happen

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm glad to see GITS failing, not because of whitewashing or any of that other pc bullshit, but because it was a crappy adaptation of something great. It's a shame on the other hand for me though, because there are some great anime out there that really could lend themselves to a Hollywood retelling, but are likely to be on the back foot now. Still holding out hope for Attack on Titan though. 

You guys have expectations through the roof.

You're outraged that Hollywood went from making D-grade anime adaptations (Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender) to B-grade (Ghost in the Shell).

No, Ghost in the Shell isn't an A+ but Rome wasn't built in a day. Give Hollywood some credit, they actually tried this time.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Firepower said:
35 minutes ago, Ohana said:

Eww at these GiTS numbers, I guess there's no such thing as star power anymore.

Why does everyone forget about The Rock? He has star power. I would say he's the only one whose movies make big box office numbers no matter of reviews.

That's definitely an over-statement. Star power still is a big thing today (which is why they're still getting huge paychecks) but it has been falling since the usage of CGI in big blockbusters aka early 90's, and that falling speeded up since the internet era. And more importantly, movie is not as important as it used to be due to people having too many options of get entertained, so as a result, movie stars are not what they used to be.

Edited by vc2002

5 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

At least from the trailers, anything that didn't looked like it was ripped from the '95 movie looked like it was ripped from Bladerunner.

Even ignoring the casting issues, nothing about the film just looked like it was worth watching in the trailers. I can't understand why people are saying it's at least good, visually, because it just doesn't look good or original.

Idea: see the movie and find out.

41 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm glad to see GITS failing, not because of whitewashing or any of that other pc bullshit, but because it was a crappy adaptation of something great. It's a shame on the other hand for me though, because there are some great anime out there that really could lend themselves to a Hollywood retelling, but are likely to be on the back foot now. Still holding out hope for Attack on Titan though. 

My advice? Just enjoy them in their current form. Hollywood isn't exactly great at making existing properties better these days.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Why does everyone forget about The Rock? He has star power. I would say he's the only one whose movies make big box office numbers no matter of reviews.

The Rock couldn't save Hercules but his star power has arguably grown since then.

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You guys have expectations through the roof.

You're outraged that Hollywood went from making D-grade anime adaptations (Dragonball Evolution, The Last Airbender) to B-grade (Ghost in the Shell).

No, Ghost in the Shell isn't an A+ but Rome wasn't built in a day. Give Hollywood some credit, they actually tried this time.

I'm not exactly outraged, but there was potentially a great movie there if you had a better director, writer and lead. 

• Like 2

Man, GitS is really a big disappointment. I wonder if there will ever be a video game or anime adaptation that will be both good and successful. I'm also not surprised that Boss Baby is doing so well. The trailers got a lot of reaction when I saw them in the theater (I know I'm not in the US, but the point still stands).

4 minutes ago, miketheavenger said:

Man, GitS is really a big disappointment. I wonder if there will ever be a video game or anime adaptation that will be both good and successful. I'm also not surprised that Boss Baby is doing so well. The trailers got a lot of reaction when I saw them in the theater (I know I'm not in the US, but the point still stands).

Mortal Kombat was good and successful.

Cheesy as all hell tho

13 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

The Rock couldn't save Hercules but his star power has arguably grown since then.

Ehh he was already pretty big by then. Not to take away from anything the Rock, just that he is mostly very good at choosing his projects. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, robertman2 said:

Mortal Kombat was good and successful.

Cheesy as all hell tho

Mortal Kombat wasn't good. It just happened to be better than everything else so it looked good by comparison. It's still a castrated version of what it should've been.

40 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm not exactly outraged, but there was potentially a great movie there if you had a better director, writer and lead. 

Sure it could've been better but Paramount gave us something that was 80% fan service and they didn't really have to.

It could've been vaguely recognizable or a complete hack job.

This was a very serviceable adaptationand in some areas, flat out purist.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Fuck the entire racist piece of shit film for the whitewashed trash it is.

You need to take the red pill. 

Do you really think they are going to put an unknown japanese actress in a $100m production?

Edited by POTUS

6 hours ago, Gokira2012 said:

i went to japan before and was amazed how much japanese love and worship white people, they love whites playing their heroes, why are non japanese asians and non japanese people so butt hurt

Amen

If the Japanese don't mind it then non Japanese should STFU.

Like redskins bullshit. The Indians want to be kept.