WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 120): Boss Baby 50.2M | BATB 45.4M | GITS 18.7M | Power Rangers 14.2M | Kong 8.6M

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

There were lots of other people in New York in the 1920s that werent in the film as well. Not including them doesnt make the film racist.

Kinda does. What significant reason is there to populate the entire extras cast with white people? It's not an accurate representation of the city or the time, and it doesn't seem to have any storytelling importance, so why did it happen? What's defensible about it?

I'm assuming laziness. The endemic belief that white is the default, and thus no effort was expended to look beyond that. It's not malicious, but it is still racism.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

The point is New York in the 1920s wasn't all white, yet the film is. There were a lot of black people in New York at the time.

Without being all white it was apparently really close

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_history_of_New_York_City

Wikipedia say 97.14% white in 1920 for NY city.

I don't know for the actual part the action take place in the movie (Bronx was 99.31% white for example), but it could have really close to be all white.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 9

• Community Manager
7 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Kinda does. What significant reason is there to populate the entire extras cast with white people? It's not an accurate representation of the city or the time, and it doesn't seem to have any storytelling importance, so why did it happen? What's defensible about it?

I'm assuming laziness. The endemic belief that white is the default, and thus no effort was expended to look beyond that. It's not malicious, but it is still racism.

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I don't know for the actual part the action take place in the movie, but it could have really close to be all white.

Even without that 97% figure, if the action took primarily in white areas, yeah youd expect to see white people. People were segregated at the time.

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I don't know for the actual part the action take place in the movie (Bronx was 99.31% white for example), but it could have really close to be all white.

Oh, thanks! I was looking for something like this.

I'm assuming it's in Manhattan, which was ~95% in 1920 (lower than the city as a whole) and ~87% in 1930. Most of the remainder was black. So in the... 1926? setting of the film, it was probably ~10% black, which isn't huge, no, but it's also not nonexistent, either.

(Also, check out those foreign born percentages. There's some interesting research into the nature of whiteness, and how there were populations that we may consider white now but wouldn't have been historically. Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, all had a period where they were viewed as non-white. Including, I think, the late '20s. The Immigration Act of 1924 severely limited immigrant populations.)

• Like 3

mm the black population in NYC didn't become very big until like 1950's. but there were still a lot of black people in the 1920's. But anyway I don't know what you guys are talking about lmao. 

Edited by ban1o

1 minute ago, DamienRoc said:

(Also, check out those foreign born percentages. There's some interesting research into the nature of whiteness, and how there were populations that we may consider white now but wouldn't have been historically. Italians, Irish, Eastern Europeans, all had a period where they were viewed as non-white. Including, I think, the late '20s. The Immigration Act of 1924 severely limited immigrant populations.)

Dan Carlin's talked about that in is hardcore history podcast, for a while because citizen ship was only accessible to white people often went to court to argue that they were white, and there was a windows that Irish were not whites in the sense of the law but Mexican and some Asians were. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Oh, thanks! I was looking for something like this.

I'm assuming it's in Manhattan, which was ~95% in 1920 (lower than the city as a whole) and ~87% in 1930. Most of the remainder was black. So in the... 1926? setting of the film, it was probably ~10% black, which isn't huge, no, but it's also not nonexistent, either.

You were proven wrong. The film takes place in 1926 and was overwhelmingly white and blacks had no voice that time. Also...Zoe Kravitz is set to be a major character in the next film and she's black (Leta Lestrange). I'll give you one scene to watch (if you do). 

• Like 4

Why should filmmakers be concerned with the racial makeup of New York City in the 1920's when they're, what, chasing down a phoenix? 

I haven't seen a good reason why people of color shouldn't have been in FB besides the two with bit roles. 

"Why are there so many black people? :( " "It's magic, we don't have to explain it!"

Anyway...pleased as punch that GiTS opened up in third. Still hope Power Rangers pulls through at some point.

Edited by Morieris
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

TBF there is no way that premise would currently fly as a wide release the other way around. 

Tellingly there are ZERO comments.  That would not be the case if was a female stripper.  For shame!

I think there would be a bit of false equivalence going on, I think that a male stripper doing Bachelorette type of party is a a bit of a different profession and vibe than the usual female strippers doing private event. I'm not sure they particularly encounter violence vs the average profession, it would really surprise me if it is a job close to be as dangerous as say being a taxi driver.

Edited by Barnack

13 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I thought this is NOT the race talk thread....

If it's specifically related to movies, especially current releases, and people are being reasonable and thoughtful with their arguments and not deliberately trying to incite others (Mod discretion), or aren't straight-up attacking others, it's okay. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Morieris said:

Why should filmmakers be concerned with the racial makeup of New York City in the 1920's when they're, what, chasing down a phoenix? 

I haven't seen a good reason why people of color shouldn't have been in FB besides the two with bit roles. 

"Why are there so many black people? :( " "It's magic, we don't have to explain it!"

Anyway...pleased as punch that GiTS opened up in third. Still hope Power Rangers pulls through at some point.

Potter's always been grounded in reality when it comes to human terms. And the series will take place between 1926 and end in 1945 with the fifth and final film. The next one takes place in Paris and London and it will also introduce Dumbledore (as the first major character in any major blockbuster to be gay). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Morieris said:

It will. I'm expecting it to be DW highest movie stateside in a long time.

Wait, are you thinking over $150M or over $200M domestic?

8 minutes ago, ban1o said:

mm the black population in NYC didn't become very big until like 1950's. but there were still a lot of black people in the 1920's. But anyway I don't know what you guys are talking about lmao. 

@DamienRocrefuses to watch FB because it had no major black character (although the president of MACUSA was both black and female).