Eric Lasagna

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

3 minutes ago, RiffRanger said:

People also tend to not realize that, as of this weekend, Power Rangers has made over $40 million profit for Lionsgate.  If it ends up getting $80-90 million total DOM, that's quite a decent profit for them.  It's far from a disappointing domestic performance.

In these times of big OS grosses, especially fueled by China, a movie making 90M domestically on a 100M budget should be considered to have done well. However, the OS performance so far has been disappointing at best.

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

In these times of big OS grosses, especially fueled by China, a movie making 90M domestically on a 100M budget should be considered to have done well. However, the OS performance so far has been disappointing at best.

agree the os number what's killing it right now.

1 hour ago, Momo said:

Agree, sadly it's getting some what hurt by it's name along. People hear "Power Rangers" and jump on the gun that the movie must be bad,because of how over cheese the TV show was. Never giving it a fair chance.

I gave it a chance despite preferring to rent it, and there was only one thing I liked about it. But I had a hard time enjoying it.

43 minutes ago, Momo said:

agree the os number what's killing it right now.

It's really hard to predict what Lionsgate will do.  They've given sequels to movies that performed worse than Power Rangers will end up performing.  Their financing method puts them in a much different situation than bigger studios.  

1 hour ago, Momo said:

I think he's saying that some expectations on the movie were to high. Shoot,you had a certain troll claiming it would match Cheap TV Smurf or Grimdark Smurf. When most know that was never going to be the case. To me people should be happy if it makes money like Tyler Perry movies make money for Lionsgate.

P.S. Why is my sentences going Smurf? lol

No, that wasn't what I meant. Grim is right in correcting me. I had no idea tracking was ever that high. 

Still, it's basically doing expected numbers from tracking and not the catastrophic result people are painting. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

Looks like a day of critically acclaimed films for me. Going to an afternoon show of Your Name at the Northgate mall, then back downtown to see Get Out with my brother this evening. 

Nice! I really want to see Your Name in theaters, but it's a 2 hour drive away... 

3 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

Pacific Rim opened to about 2.1m and finished with 14.5m, so Whitewashed Smurfette' performance looks like it'l be similar.

I don't know much but it seem that the legs can be really big versus domestic, other comparable

Tomorrowland: 2.1m OW, 10.25m total

Elysium: 1.53m OW, 7.6m total

Interstellar: 1.64m OW, 10.4m total

Oblivion: 3.48m OW (Cruise opening power), 12.96m total

But it can also fall down and have an ow that is 33% or more of the total.

MAG7 did 93 Dom and 69 OS on a 90 budget.

PW could do 90 Dom and 125 OS on a 100 budget.

% wise it would be at par with MAG7 accounting for higher share studio gets from Dom compared OS.

Both with a disappointing Foreign Accent Smurfette (aka world-wide) in the end despite decent Dom.

Hahahah Smurf-edits

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, a2knet said:

MAG7 did 93 Dom and 69 OS on a 90 budget.

PW could do 90 Dom and 125 OS on a 100 budget.

% wise it would be at par with MAG7 accounting for higher share studio gets from Dom compared OS.

Both with a disappointing Foreign Accent Smurfette in the end despite decent Dom.

:insane:

• Like 2

MAG 7 budget was closer to 80 than 90 million thought:

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=1Ki2apGQb7wFKtZifVR43A%3d%3d

107 million gross, at least 30.31 million in tax credit.

One difference is Magnificent 7 being a Denzel Washington western was fully expected to do around 65 to 75 million oversea (and those expectation were made with a much better exchange rate in mind), it arguably overperformed a little bit both domestic and oversea, specially in South Korea because of Lee Byung-hun.

Going In Style is shaping up to be a pretty decent hit at my theatre. Even if I include this genre of "old people movies" in my new comparisons with my theatre, it's going to make about $13M this weekend at least. If I don't do anything to play with the numbers and just look at attendance (adult vs seniors tickets etc) like any regular old movie and don't give it any sort of disadvantage it'll do close to 20M.

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

BATB just passed TTT worldwide. 

Side note, but that shows hos insanely succesfull the LotR trilogy was Worldwide. To make these near-billion grosses with the first two films and then to pass that mark easily with the third film in the early 2000s is just massive. Same for the HP movies, all of them (except maxbe the third?) would have made a billion in todays money.

16 minutes ago, Barnack said:

MAG 7 budget was closer to 80 than 90 million thought:

https://fastlane.louisianaeconomicdevelopment.com/Film/FilmSearchDetails.aspx?ProjNum=1Ki2apGQb7wFKtZifVR43A%3d%3d

107 million gross, at least 30.31 million in tax credit.

One difference is Magnificent 7 being a Denzel Washington western was fully expected to do around 65 to 75 million oversea (and those expectation were made with a much better exchange rate in mind), it arguably overperformed a little bit both domestic and oversea, specially in South Korea because of Lee Byung-hun.

If it did not under-perform in both dom and os, then the budget is not reasonable, cause it failed to even 2x the prod budget globally.

Edited by a2knet