CJohn

The Hunger Games OS thread: 258M Total

Because its out selling JC??

No, because THG probably won't be very big in Europe. J. Edgar wasn't big either, except in Denmark :lol: Edited by CJohn

Will be huge overseas, bank on it.

It'll do really big business in UK, Australia, China, Japan, and other Asian countries. I'm not sure about Europe, but it'll do respectable business at the very least.

$315m.

First post updated.

You have now the biggest prediction on this thread.

Surprising. You should also realize that Twilight was able to do $200m.

Hunger Games has way more appeal overseas, especially in Asian countries like Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, South Korea, etc. This is being released in China, no? Then that should do over $40m on there alone.

Now, the scary thing is that if the Chinese people do pick up on its themes and relate to it, it will be gargantuan.

$175m, again, does not make much sense. And you wanna know why? Because you, CJohn, are simply predicting out of your ass instead of studying what specific countries enjoy more.

It will do $50m-$60m in the UK and Australia alone.

It may not be my final prediction. I changed my DOM prediction (and I will probably change it again) so it is very likely that I change my OS prediction too (which I raised 5M today, not much, I know, but a start).

I honestly think most people are lowballing what this will make overseas. I have a gut feeling about this and I'm willing to stick my neck out and say 400M and I may be under estimating it as well.The way I see it is if Twilight made 200M OS and HG in the US will most likely increase from Twilight's total (due to being a 4 quadrant movie, inflation, and more upfront demand), I don't see why this would not carry over internationally. Additionally, the OS markets as everyone is aware have exploded from even when Twilight was released. Plus, a major theme in the book series is the individual versus the government and I feel this will resonate well with the European markets and China.Keep in mind that book sales only helps to set the baseline on who will watch a movie, not the final total. If the story is good and people connect with it, there will be very good WoM which will help HG out a lot. Also, HG will have much more action then Twilight and also the story revolves more around this action....and we all know international markets eat up movies like this.

Edited by MJL

No, because THG probably won't be very big in Europe. J. Edgar wasn't big either, except in Denmark :lol:

Ahh.. got it... ^_^THG will be big in many european countries..I have no doubt

So far I could not find any hint THG the books have been somehow big in ANY european country.What else should make it big?

I really have no idea.. I never heard of the book my self.But presales here has been great/fantastic so i figured that it would be the same in other european countries

Though the books' popularity certainly helps, it's still about the movie.

.True. But there have been 0(zero) marketing for this in Denmark..So it has to be about the book in presales in this case

All I have to say is WOW.

Hunger Games' Set For Big Opening Weekend Down Under

March 22 Australian release on track to better “Twilight New Moon” opening.

SYDNEY – Local distributor Roadshow Films is looking to a strong opening weekend for The Hunger Games when its released in Australia at midnight on March 22 here – March 21 in local U.S. time - after reporting sell-outs in advanced ticket sales.

Gino Munari, Village Cinemas general manager – programming, said that as of last week sales are tracking ahead of the second Twilight film, which in 2009 recorded the second biggest opening weekend of all time in this market with AUS$16.01 million ($15 million).

“Early ticket sales across the Village circuit leaves me with no doubt that The Hunger Games is fast shaping-up as one of the hottest films of the year,” Munari said.

“We are thrilled with the strong early ticket sales for the first sessions of The Hunger Games in all of our major locations. We will have sell-out midnight and opening weekend sessions around the country, especially in [premium venues] Vmax and Gold Class,” Chris McGlinn, director of marketing at Event Cinemas added.

According to Roadshow, with many sessions already sold out, exhibitors are continuing to add more sessions in response to customer demand.

The Australian première of the much anticipated feature is set for Tuesday March 20 with local press speculating that several of the films stars including local boy, Liam Hemsworth, will attend.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hunger-games-set-big-opening-298500