Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

I finally have 25 eliable films for my list. just 2 or 3 more and I should be able to have 25 I actaully like. 1987 was a great year I liked almost all of the films I've chosen to watch to some extent.

Last one was A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, which was very entertaining, cheesy at parts for sure. but a pretty good "horror" film, if you're looking for a film that isn't very scary and more fun.   

Watched Robocop. An interesting experience considering I saw the 2014 remake and that fanmade Our Robocop remake before I saw this. But regardless, this was v. good (dont @ me goffe). So many cheesy, iconic lines. That stuff's my jam.

Also that main theme was dope.

Bah bah bah bah BAH bah bah bah baaah

• Like 4

Started off today with Empire of the Sun. Pretty damn good, but it isn't gonna be first place on my list (sorry @Goffe). Should make top 10 though!

Also watched Innerspace. Was interesting to see Martin Short (of Captain Ron fame). This movie was nuts. The whole thing got sillier and sillier by the minute. I had fun with it.

I've now seen 23 movies from 1987, so I'm getting there. I think I started off with 5; not a bad effort in my humble opinion. Dunno what the last two will be. Probably Last Emperor for one but I'm drawing a blank on what the final one should be.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Started off today with Empire of the Sun. Pretty damn good, but it isn't gonna be first on my list (sorry @Goffe). 

Also watched Innerspace. Was interesting to see Martin Short (of Captain Ron fame). This movie was nuts. The whole thing got sillier and sillier by the minute. I had fun with it.

I've now seen 23 movies from 1987, so I'm getting there. I think I started off with 5; not a bad effort in my humble opinion. Dunno what the last two will be. Probably Last Emperor for one but I'm drawing a blank on what the final one should be.

Au Revoir Les Enfants, Wings of Desire, Withnail & I and Cry Freedom are all ones on my radar to see before June 23rd (Empire of the Sun and Last Emperor, too). I'd also consider Radio Days if you're looking for something short (86 minutes).

• Like 2

I propose a sequel to The Hidden in which an older Kyle MacLachlan returns to again fight a human-inhabiting alien slug whose primary motivation is that it takes whatever it wants and who at a crucial point declares "I want to be president". Don't tell me that wouldn't be huge today. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I propose a sequel to The Hidden in which an older Kyle MacLachlan returns to again fight a human-inhabiting alien slug whose primary motivation is that it takes whatever it wants and who at a crucial point declares "I want to be president". Don't tell me that wouldn't be huge today. 

Spoiler

But Kyle died!

Also, apparently there was a sequel, although their plot was not as inspired as yours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_II

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Hide contents

But Kyle died!

Also, apparently there was a sequel, although their plot was not as inspired as yours: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hidden_II

The '90s were a more innocent time.

As for the first thing, I'm sure they could work around that if they wanted to

15 hours ago, aabattery said:

Started off today with Empire of the Sun. Pretty damn good, but it isn't gonna be first place on my list (sorry @Goffe). Should make top 10 though!

You have watched Princess Bride I hope?

2 minutes ago, Tower said:

A glorious 3.5 hours, it's great.

This isn't even the extended cut haha.

It's not doing too much for me. I will say the performances are very good, and I quite like the score but I dunno. Hasn't quite clicked, except the Peter O'Toole bits. I am enjoying the parts that he's in.

• Like 1

Not even touching The Last Emperor for this. Anything under 2 hours has the automatic advantage. Except for Maurice, which I've seen pretty high up on a few people's lists and which I've been interested in for a while, especially with James Ivory having just co-written Call Me by Your Name which is one of the major movies set to come this year. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2