Plain Old Tele

BOT: THE REVISITING -- now up, 1987! MINI-EXTENSION, deadline is tonight, June 25!

Predator was great. Peak Schwarzenegger is a sight to behold. So much fun.

Broadcast News is excellent. Holly Hunter kills it; she had a great year with this and Raising Arizona. She's adorable in both. But yeah, just a great movie through and through. 

Fun fact I found on Wikipedia after watching Evil Dead II;

Spiegel and Raimi wrote most of the film in their house in Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California, where they were living with the aforementioned Coen brothers, as well as actors Frances McDormand, Kathy Bates, and Holly Hunter (Hunter was the primary inspiration for the Bobby Jo character). Due both to the distractions of their house guests and the films they were involved with, Crimewave and Josh Becker's Thou Shalt Not Kill... Except, the script took a long time to finish.

Talk about a house full of talent.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, baumer said:

If there is one film from 1987 that I believe everybody should see it's Angel Heart

I knew there was a film I forgot to put on the list

Spoiler

:ph34r::P  kidding, it's on there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aabattery said:

Predator was great. Peak Schwarzenegger is a sight to behold. So much fun.

I actually prefer Predator II, I dig the whole hunt in the city bit way more than the jungle setting. I know it has its issues and I know most people prefer the first one but meh, it's never impressed me. It's a fine enough movie for me though and it's somewhere in my top25.

Can't wait for 1989! That's the year of Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II and Batman.

Nothing on Superman IV: The Quest for Peace? The film that tried to make Milton Keynes look like New York and failed spectacularly 

On 5/14/2017 at 1:00 PM, Tele Came Back said:

(snip)

Of the top 20, I saw these in the theaters in 1987 during their original run:

Predator

Broadcast News

The Untouchables

Witches of Eastwick

Other movies I remember seeing in the theater that year:

Raising Arizona

Some Kind of Wonderful

Full Metal Jacket

Wall Street

Enjoyed all 8 of these films back then, and still like all of them, save arguably for "Wonderful", which I haven't seen since then and has faded from memory. 

Edited by SteveJaros
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Are we going to do 1977 as well? The winner could be very easy to guess though.

6896_4.jpg

Can you mention a more iconic 1977 film than this?

Star-Wars-Logo.gif

Come on, guys: we all know that Annie Hall will very rightfully be the winner of the inevitable 1977 rewind. Right... ? :unsure:

Before I see myself out of this thread to avoid being chased by people bearing torches and pitchforks, I'll say that I'll do my best to get a submission in for 1987, but the '80s are basically a gigantic blind spot for me (aside from the most massive pop culture icons of the decade) and I still have an intense month of work coming up, so I might be sitting this one out.

4 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Come on, guys: we all know that Annie Hall will very rightfully be the winner of the inevitable 1977 rewind. Right... ? :unsure:

Before I see myself out of this thread to avoid being chased by people bearing torches and pitchforks, I'll say that I'll do my best to get a submission in for 1987, but the '80s are basically a gigantic blind spot for me (aside from the most massive pop culture icons of the decade) and I still have an intense month of work coming up, so I might be sitting this one out.

Annie Hall is literally one of my least favorite films of all time. it would be shameful if it made #1. 

1 hour ago, Webslinger said:

haha... welcome to BOT, the place where TDKR is #1 2012

• Like 3