grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

:lol:  I hope they got  a rebate on that ad spot.

It's actually just a live look into a local sports network from MLB Network. That's why the logos are covering the ad (at least I'm pretty sure that's the case).

Edited by Jayhawk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Lmao at people thinking The Mummy is touching 30M, let alone 40M.

Ye of little faith ...

49 minutes ago, M37 said:

Ye of little faith ...

Given the trailers and TV spots, they haven't given me a reason to have faith. That said, I think it'll get above $30M.

I'll give my money to a Cruise film, but that will be Mission Impossible 6 next year...

9 minutes ago, TheMovieman said:

Given the trailers and TV spots, they haven't given me a reason to have faith. That said, I think it'll get above $30M.

I'll give my money to a Cruise film, but that will be Mission Impossible 6 next year...

I'll put it this way: is the advertising for Mummy demonstrably worse than TMNT2 or the ID4 sequel no one asked for, which were similarly panned by critics and opened to $35M and $41M respectively last June?  

There is enough of built in audience for Cruise/Mummy/"popcorn action" that $30 million is almost assured.   It can get to $40+, and I believe the chances of that happening will improve when the preview gross is reported over $3 million in the morning.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, M37 said:

I'll put it this way: is the advertising for Mummy demonstrably worse than TMNT2 or the ID4 sequel no one asked for, which were similarly panned by critics and opened to $35M and $41M respectively last June?  

There is enough of built in audience for Cruise/Mummy/"popcorn action" that $30 million is almost assured.   It can get to $40+, and I believe the chances of that happening will improve when the preview gross is reported over $3 million in the morning.  

We'll see. Though ID4 sequel got what it did out of nostalgia for the first. While the 99 Mummy is well regarded, people will see this as yet another reboot.

• Like 1

Interesting fact:

DRACULA UNTOLD

23% RT score

58% audience score

locations: 2,885

opening weekend: $23,514,615

opening per theater average: $8,151

Thursday previews: 1.3 million

opening weekend minus previews: $22,214,615

opening per theater average minus previews: $7,700

If you take the $7700 true PTA and apply it to the 4,034 locations Mummy is at, you get $31,061,800.

Doubling Dracula's 1.3M previews for Mummy give 2.6M and adding that to the 7700PTA, you get an OW of: $33,661,800

One thing that does not support this comparison (for opening near 35M) is the discouraging reserved seating reports and the pre-sales figures on movietickets and fandango.

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

:lol:  I hope they got  a rebate on that ad spot.

I don't think they have room to complain. They had a billboard that makes it look like the film is called "The UMM":

tom+cruise+Mummy+movie+billboard.jpg

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, Rolling Thunder said:

Final in-house tracking for The Mummy was $28m.  Bombs away, at least domestically. 

Yikes. If that holds, it's amusing that Wonder Woman would make more on its opening weekend than The Mummy in its entire domestic run.

• Like 1