grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 7/10/2017 at 8:56 PM, TwoMisfits said:

Apes is doing okay here...nothing earth-shatttering, but still 3 days to go...

1st local 2 screens (1 2d, 1 3d)

2d 39/350

3d 9/200

2nd local 2 screens (1 2d, 1 3d)

2d 31/400

3d 8/220

Since Atom has all the Apes deals, Fandango and MovieTickets.com may not be the best place to watch sales, especially tomorrow when the $4 ticket deal kicks in...

So, here's the Atom effect from yesterday (since I'm comparing to Monday night presale status)...one of my locals is on Atom and one is not...here are the current presales on both...

1st local (sells on ATOM)

2d 116/350 (77 more)

3d 45/200 (36 more)

2nd local (no ATOM)

2d 59/400 (28 more)

3d 10/220 (2 more)

I know we always ask how these online deals affect sales and I thought showing 2 equivalent 12s which had pretty equal sales before the deal is a good way to show the big bump the deal gave for Tuesday...

I'll try to see how they both do sometime early tomorrow...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

Apes: sales on Fandango per minute = 17 (4pm EST)

Comps:

WW: Wed (4pm) 45 per minute

SM:  Wed (4pm) 54 per minute

I only have later evening numbers for Pirates on Wed when sales are normally higher - 32 per minute

These cheap and 2 for 1 Atom tickets though are going skew things

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Apes should really be number one on MT right now if it hopes to break out this weekend!

MT is for the last 24 hours.  SM earned over $15m+ on Tues.  So not unless anyone expected it to have a $100m+ o/w but no one does.

19 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Apes should really be number one on MT right now if it hopes to break out this weekend!

Maybe all the predictions are for some massive Walk-up business or something.

Spider man for the Win:redcapes:

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

Massive walk ups? This is the third movie of the trilogy for goodness sake, frontloadedness is part of the equation.

We have had these exact discussions about "Low presales, will it have walkups" in 2014

On 7/7/2014 at 7:38 PM, Mulder said:

These presales.  :mellow:

On 7/7/2014 at 8:30 PM, Telemachos said:

APES. Being outsold by EARTH TO ECHO. :mellow:

On 7/7/2014 at 8:33 PM, Mattrek said:
On 7/7/2014 at 8:30 PM, Telemachos said:

APES. Being outsold by EARTH TO ECHO. :mellow:

To be fair though the last movie had weak presales also. The walk ups came in force though.

On 7/7/2014 at 8:52 PM, Telemachos said:
On 7/7/2014 at 8:33 PM, Mattrek Loves Del Toro said:

To be fair though the last movie had weak presales also. The walk ups came in force though.

Yeah, but in theory, the sequel to a successful and popular reboot would have more interest.

On 7/8/2014 at 8:22 PM, TalismanRing said:

Apes 2 still MIA on Movietickets.com

Transformers: Age of Extinction - 24%

Tammy - 17%

Earth To Echo - 9%

How to Train Your Dragon 2  - 8%

22 Jump Street  - 7%

On 7/8/2014 at 9:59 PM, John Marston said:

doesn't the POTA series appeal a lot to the older crowd? Maybe they are not able to be tracked property with tracking. 

On 7/10/2014 at 9:31 AM, TalismanRing said:

Movietickets.com

Interesting to see Boyhood there - Opening in just 5 theaters,  people really want to guarantee a ticket

Apes 228%

Transformers 4: 13

Tammy: 10%

Boyhood:  5%

Dragon 2:  5%

For Thur comparisons:

Also, I think all the $90m plus openers were at least 60% on Wed and 75-80+% on Thur

On 7/10/2014 at 9:32 AM, Mulder said:

Apes' presales are just. :/

On 7/8/2014 at 8:23 PM, Mulder said:

Apes is fucked if it doesn't have lots of walk-ups.

On 7/10/2014 at 1:07 PM, kitik said:

Wow, that's just horrible.

What's going on here?

On 7/10/2014 at 2:49 PM, Cedarpoint1111 said:

I am surprised and not surprised at the same time. I expected apes to do good but this summer is shitty so I expected another shitty outcome.

On 7/10/2014 at 3:37 PM, Mango said:

Come on guys. Apes has had arguably the worst marketing out of all the big summer tentpoles. Is it really any surprise its coming in kind of low in presales?

• Like 23

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Massive walk ups? This is the third movie of the trilogy for goodness sake, frontloadedness is part of the equation.

That a bit 2 different thing no ? ( I would imagine related)

It will be frontloaded like franchise movie tend to be, but is audience is from a large part from a population that I would imagine does not pre-buy movie ticket online much and walk ups to the theater and buy it there.

3 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Apes: sales on Fandango per minute = 17 (4pm EST)

Comps:

WW: Wed (4pm) 45 per minute

SM:  Wed (4pm) 54 per minute

I only have later evening numbers for Pirates on Wed when sales are normally higher - 32 per minute

These cheap and 2 for 1 Atom tickets though are going skew things

Apes still in the same ballpark on Fandango - averaging 18 sales per minute at 7:30pm EST

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, here's the Atom effect from yesterday (since I'm comparing to Monday night presale status)...one of my locals is on Atom and one is not...here are the current presales on both...

1st local (sells on ATOM)

2d 116/350 (77 more)

3d 45/200 (36 more)

2nd local (no ATOM)

2d 59/400 (28 more)

3d 10/220 (2 more)

I know we always ask how these online deals affect sales and I thought showing 2 equivalent 12s which had pretty equal sales before the deal is a good way to show the big bump the deal gave for Tuesday...

I'll try to see how they both do sometime early tomorrow...

Okay, 9 hours now to showtime...sales have been slow but steady at the non-Atom theater and died at the Atom theater (probably b/c Fandango offered a $5 off any movie/ticket deal yesterday, so the Fandango deal is starting to help the other one:)...current Apes sales...

1st local (Atom)

2d 118/350 (2 more)

3d 52/200 (7 more)

2nd local (Fandango)

2d 77/400 (18 more)

3d 14/220 (4 more)

I will say, this is totally not selling in 3d for fullish price...and it's a little light overall if people want $70M+ weekends...I'm feeling better about my $57M call even though I know nothing about this series...I know everyone says this will walk up, but it's gonna need big walk ups (or tons of Atom theaters that totally sold out Tuesday) and I'm not sure walk ups will buy 3d, so 1/2 the showings might be mostly a waste...

I'd love to know how the presales look compared to competitor movies 24 hours later than the post-Atom boom (how much it's slipped back, if any)...

• Like 4

How my theater looks tonight:

7:00 Apes: 35/124

7:00 Big Sick: 0/78

7:00 Wish Upon: 0/78

8:45 Apes 3D: 17/78

9:30 Wish Upon: 0/78

10:15 Apes: 4/124

10:20 Big Sick: 0/78

All of these are walkup based movies, so I probably won't have a good grasp on where they'll land until 4 or 5.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 7