grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

On 8/1/2017 at 6:33 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Baby Driver, The Big Sick, and Wish Upon are gone.

The Dark Tower: 6 (Biggest)

Detroit: 6 (Average)

The Lion King: 6 (4 Standard/2 Sing a Long; 3rd Smallest)

Kidnap: 5 (Average and Smallest)

Atomic Blonde: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Dunkirk: 5 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

The Emoji Movie: 5 (Down 4; 3 2D/2 3D; 4th Smallest and 2nd Smallest)

Girls Trip: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; Average)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 5 (Flat and lost 3D; Average and Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 4 (Down 1; Average)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 4 (Down 1; 3 2D/1 3D; 4th Smallest and 2nd Smallest)

Wonder Woman: 1 (Down 4; 4th Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Wonder Woman is gone.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature: 6 (4 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Annabelle: Creation: 5 (2nd Biggest and Average)

The Dark Tower: 6 (Flat; Biggest)

Atomic Blonde: 5 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Detroit: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Dunkirk: 5 (Flat; Average)

The Emoji Movie: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; Average)

Girls Trip: 5 (Flat; Average, 3rd Smallest, and Smallest)

Kidnap: 5 (Flat; Average and 3rd Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

The Lion King: 3 (Down 3; 2 Standard/1 Sing-Along; 2nd Smallest)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 2 (Down 3; 2nd Smallest)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 1 (Down 3 and lost 3D; Average)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Nova said:

Hitman's Bodyguard is really really doing shit in presales (I know we were already told this lol) They're already offering a $4 ticket from Atom tickets and T-mobile Tuesdays for next Tuesday (the 15th) 

Lionsgate is probably like FUCK THIS SHIT!!! 

I think it's bound to be another victim of the recent R-rated comedy curse (which has hit everything this year except Girls Trip, for understandable reasons), tbh.

• Like 2

So The Glass Castle isn't coming to my theater. Interesting. Normally anything that's in 1,500+ is locked to come as long as there aren't many movies held under a contract (IE April 21 this year when we didn't get Phoenix Forgotten), so Lionsgate is just missing the mark. My area is the prime market for it too. This is a dump if there ever was one.

lmao @ Valerian hanging on to one showing at night. I wonder what incentive STX is giving theaters to keep it.

Edited by WrathOfHan

22 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Wonder Woman is gone.

The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature: 6 (4 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Annabelle: Creation: 5 (2nd Biggest and Average)

The Dark Tower: 6 (Flat; Biggest)

Atomic Blonde: 5 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

Detroit: 5 (Down 1; Average)

Dunkirk: 5 (Flat; Average)

The Emoji Movie: 5 (Flat; 3 2D/2 3D; Average)

Girls Trip: 5 (Flat; Average, 3rd Smallest, and Smallest)

Kidnap: 5 (Flat; Average and 3rd Smallest)

Despicable Me 3: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

The Lion King: 3 (Down 3; 2 Standard/1 Sing-Along; 2nd Smallest)

War for the Planet of the Apes: 2 (Down 3; 2nd Smallest)

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets: 1 (Down 3 and lost 3D; Average)

Reveal hidden contents

No Glass Castle :winomg:

How is Annabelle in two screens with only 5 shows? The afternoon ones in the average and the night ones in the 2nd biggest?

How is The Dark Tower keeping the biggest screen? :winomg:

32 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think it's bound to be another victim of the recent R-rated comedy curse (which has hit everything this year except Girls Trip, for understandable reasons), tbh.

I think its problem is that its title sucks and ever since the first trailer, the marketing hasn't exactly been good. I was sold on the first trailer alone (and also hearing that it's not a bad movie) but the last couple trailers have sucked and haven't done anything for the movie. Your trailers should get better not worse. If I hadn't seen that first trailer, I probably wouldn't have that much interest in it. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No Glass Castle :winomg:

How is Annabelle in two screens with only 5 shows? The afternoon ones in the average and the night ones in the 2nd biggest?

How is The Dark Tower keeping the biggest screen? :winomg:

Yeah, Nut Job is getting that screen during the day and Annabelle at night. They should have just put Annabelle full time in the biggest.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, filmlover said:

My theater is getting Step and Brigsby Bear this weekend. I bet they drop the latter next week with how awful it's doing in limited release already.

Brigsby Bear is still expanding by me next weekend. I'm surprised SPC didn't move it up for them; it's going to perform like shit when the area is predominately seniors.

11 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe...but here's the update for my mall theater, now down to 3 showings and 900ish seats, since it got to toss its unsold 3pm...

Still ZERO seats sold as of 7:30am Tuesday...

You'd think if you were limited in where you could see it and you wanted to see it, you'd dive in on these AMC presales...

If I'm not AMC (but I booked this movie for the weekend), I don't presell this movie Thursday b/c I have so many holdovers who will at least fill a few seats in my theater screens...

So, less than 48 hours to go...and my mall has made another change, now kicking Nut Job 2 into one of its smallest theaters for its Thursday shows and dropping it to 600ish seats...so how many has it sold?  Still ZERO!  It's amazing they sold nothing, so could 1st drop a show and 2nd now drop this to the smaller theater - I am curious what movie is now getting "bumped up" into the bigger one...

Gonna track the one local now preselling...3 showings, 180 seats...also ZERO sales (but this one only started selling this morning vs last week, so less bad)...

Oh, and the local preselling Annabelle...it's got 2 showings with 60 seats for 120 seats total...it has currently sold 14/120...so, better than zero, although not sky high...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, nomyth said:

Over the course of ten minutes, Annabelle popped up 55 times on Pulse and Nut Job and Glass Castle just 3 times a piece.

Last week at this time, Dark Tower was at 42, so I think Annabelle is far enough ahead to stand a chance at 25 for the weekend. Glass Castle and Nut Job are obviously in terrible shape. By comparison, Emoji was at 22 at the same point. Not expecting over 10 for Nut Job at this point and wouldn't be surprised if it completely tanks. Even Kidnap and Detroit were close to 10 tickets at the same point last week.

I decided to try this and only got 38 for Annabelle, Glass Castle was 4 and Nut Job was 2.  So those were similar, but seems to be a big difference with Annabelle, at least when I tried

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Avi Saks said:

I decided to try this and only got 38 for Annabelle, Glass Castle was 4 and Nut Job was 2.  So those were similar, but seems to be a big difference with Annabelle, at least when I tried

The new releases do best at night so it makes sense that it would dip during the day slightly. The important thing is that it continues to grow a little each night. I always check the #'s on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday night. It's still out doing TDT at the same point last week, albeit by not all that much.

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

In India online tickets are always 20-60% cheaper at average than at theater. Is it not same in America?

No. In the USA, if you use a site like Fandango you actually pay a ticketing fee, its called a convenience tax. 

I have the AMC premium stubs membership ($15 a year) so that waives the fee if im buying tickets for an AMC theater. 

But I know if you have no membership, you pay an online fee, even if you buy directly from the theater. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

In India online tickets are always 20-60% cheaper at average than at theater. Is it not same in America?

Only when there are discount codes put out...if none of us are mentioning any, online tickets actually cost more b/c you have to pay the full ticket price plus a fee to the online selling platform...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Wait. what? Unless you go through a maze of Paytm, Bookmyshow discounts etc. there is no way the tickets are cheaper. Last time, I actually went to the theater and booked my tickets 3 days in advance instead of online to avoid the ridiculous 50 rupee online booking fees. And this was while using Bookmyshow

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Wait. what? Unless you go through a maze of Paytm, Bookmyshow discounts etc. there is no way the tickets are cheaper. Last time, I actually went to the theater and booked my tickets 3 days in advance instead of online to avoid the ridiculous 50 rupee online booking fees. And this was while using Bookmyshow

Wait grim you live in India? 

Whyd I think you lived in California....or was this just a visit? 

27 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That's what I do. This year I have gone to movies 12-14 times and the most I have paid for a ticket is bahubali 2: rs. 51. The actual price was 210. After discount it was around 15-25 rs. +tax it reached 51.

My actual question should have been, are their not enough discount codes given in USA? :D

I think it has to do with the booming startups in india. There is new online purchasing service every few months. They all give heavy discounts in the beginning.

• Like 1