grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

I want to see how it performs on MT tomorrow, but Annabelle is actually doing really well right now on Pulse. It's over double where Atomic Blonde and Dark Tower were at the same point. I'm starting to think it may hit 30M this weekend.

Nut Job looks to be at about a third of where Emoji was at, which is where I expect it's gross to be this weekend (thanks to its ridiculous theater count). Glass Castle, on the other hand, is doing pretty well. It's almost even with Detroit last week, which is pretty good considering that had double the theaters and was already playing. I really think it's good for 4M and I wouldn't be surprised if it came in closer to 5.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Nut Job 2 is a sequel nobody wanted, the first film wasn't even that successful. Films like this and Emoji don't do animation any favour to be perceived as disposable entertainment.

I feel like these movies exist only to promote birth control.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Also, Jesus Christ my theater looks fucking empty tomorrow in general:

A whopping 5 seats have been sold for Dunkirk all day

Kidnap has only sold 4 seats

Apes has 3 seats in the morning

Detroit and WW have only sold 2 seats each (keep in mind WW's last day is tomorrow with one show)

I'm the only one who has a ticket for Girls Trip

Everything else (TDT, Lion King, Emoji, Atomic, SMH, DM3, Valerian) has sold nothing. School starts in my county tomorrow, so it's reasonable for everything but TDT, Atomic, and MAYBE SMH.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Also, Jesus Christ my theater looks fucking empty tomorrow in general:

A whopping 5 seats have been sold for Dunkirk all day

Kidnap has only sold 4 seats

Apes has 3 seats in the morning

Detroit and WW have only sold 2 seats each (keep in mind WW's last day is tomorrow with one show)

I'm the only one who has a ticket for Girls Trip

Everything else (TDT, Lion King, Emoji, Atomic, SMH, DM3, Valerian) has sold nothing. School starts in my county tomorrow, so it's reasonable for everything but TDT, Atomic, and MAYBE SMH.

Image result for dog days of summer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My theater is making a huge mistake by not giving Annabelle one of the two biggest screens during the day. It should have had one of them full time instead of sharing with Nut Job, especially with school back in session. They currently have both of next weekend's comedies in average auditoriums, but they're almost assuredly getting moved up into the two biggest because there is no chance in hell TDT is keeping the biggest and keeping Annabelle in one of them would be a waste.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

The Nut Job 2 is a sequel nobody wanted, the first film wasn't even that successful. Films like this and Emoji don't do animation any favour to be perceived as disposable entertainment.

NUT JOB 1 did well though http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nutjob.htm

Emoji is even more successful, looking at 75 dom and possibly that much OS if not more, on a 50 prod budget.

Edited by a2knet

Just now, a2knet said:

It was profitable enough http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nutjob.htm

Emoji is even more successful, looking at 75 dom and possibly that much OS if not more, on a 50 prod budget.

Nah, it made way less that this year's Smurfs...it was 10% at RT with only a 43% audience rating...it's DOM legs were 2.5X its MLK weekend gross...it wasn't an international hit that might get love in a sequel...should I go on?

This so seems like a Cars 3 situation behind the scenes...someone high up wanted this and pushed it against good advice...b/c if anyone was advising doing this, they should be fired...

Supposedly the production budget was around $40M...so at least they chopped $2M off the budget from the 1st one...probably won't be nearly enough...

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, it made way less that this year's Smurfs...

smurfs is no comparison at all, being a much bigger brand.

it was 10% at RT with only a 43% audience rating...it's DOM legs were 2.5X its MLK weekend gross...

you are calculating the multiplier of the 4-day. calculating it off the 3-day FSS, like it's fair, gives it a 3x+ multi.

it wasn't an international hit that might get love in a sequel...should I go on?

sure, cause neither of those things matter to the bottom line : it did 3x the prod budget ww.

Edited by a2knet

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

3x for animation is nothing...especially when you start so low...it was $64M DOM...that's it...knowing sequels lose 10-20% off that, what was ever the point of green lighting this?  Look, I am an animation fan...and I saw the 1st...the 1st was not good...they should have thanked their lucky stars they probably broke even or made a few million on it...and moved on to any other original concept.  This one was dead...

I'll say the same for Emoji...unless it skies WW, they should thank their lucky stars they end up doing okay and just close the book on that one, too...if someone announces a sequel to it, fire them b/c it's really only made money b/c it was original this time and there is NOTHING for little kids in theaters...unfortunately for Nut Job 2, there's still Emoji and the distaste for Nut Job 1...

EDIT: And it did under 3x WW vs Production budget...production budget was $42M for the 1st...it didn't make $126M WW (it had to settle for under $121M)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

3x for animation is nothing...especially when you start so low...it was $64M DOM...that's it...knowing sequels lose 10-20% off that, what was ever the point of green lighting this?

It actually did 3.31x (64.25 dom/19.4 ow), which is good even for an animation.

Just mentioning BO without mentioning budget is meaningless. 

It was not a 100-150 budget animation. It was a puny 42m prod budget. So it's grosses are fine compared to that.

RT score, quality etc. are inconsequential when you do 3x the prod budget ww with 3.3x multi dom.

Edited by a2knet

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

This so seems like a Cars 3 situation behind the scenes...someone high up wanted this and pushed it against good advice...b/c if anyone was advising doing this, they should be fired...

The Nut Job was the biggest movie ever of Open Road Films, making it an obvious choice for a sequel in their point of view.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Road_Films#Filmography

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

NUT JOB 1 did well though http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=nutjob.htm

The Nut Job did well mostly on account of an empty marketplace (Frozen was heading into its eighth weekend when it opened and The Lego Movie was three weeks away). Put it in a more competitive timeframe and it most certainly would've made less than it did.

• Like 1

And b/c I've tracked it all week...this disaster, opening in less than 17 hours, has now sold a whopping NINE tickets across 3 theaters and 930ish seats - seems one other family of 5 got suckered in today...

And this is for a sequel...and our area is still 100% out of school...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

the 1st was not good...they should have thanked their lucky stars they probably broke even or made a few million on it...and moved on to any other original concept.

I do not know about that Smurfs 2 didn't triple it's budget at the BO, was weak domestic relative to the nut job, made 17m in profit (25 million including participation bonus) and got a sequel.

Without knowing how much they were able to pre-sold some market (and the home video performance of the first one) it is hard to judge that decision imo, too close to call for me but movie that do more than their budget on the domestic turn out usually at least ok financially, significantly more on DBO alone (50% more than it's budget in this case) it is usually a success.

Smurf 2 71 dbo performance made around 94 million in revenue in the domestic market alone without considering merchandise for an example.

• Like 1