grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Just now, Porthos said:

Of course, Ferdinand SHOULD benefit from TLJ sellout spillover, especially on Fri/Sat/Sun. So take the above with several grains of salt.

Still.  Not a great sign. 

Nah, it won't...movies most likely to benefit from sellouts are Thor and JL...if you are going to a blockbuster action movie with heroes, you're not likely to pick an animated kids' movie about a bull over the 2 other supers, unless you've seen both those other movies already (and if you have, you probably know how Star Wars works and are going to the theater with tickets in hand)...

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah, it won't...movies most likely to benefit from sellouts are Thor and JL...if you are going to a blockbuster action movie with heroes, you're not likely to pick an animated kids' movie about a bull over the 2 other supers, unless you've seen both those other movies already (and if you have, you probably know how Star Wars works and are going to the theater with tickets in hand)...

Should have clarified that I meant people taking their kids to a last minute showing of TLJ might decide to go to that instead.  The thing about TLJ is it IS four quadrant. If even some families decide that they don't want to turn around and see nothing, Ferdinand might get an uptick.

Basically the parents who are taking their seven to twelve year olds to see TLJ and then get bumped.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

FWIW my AMC has SW showings scheduled till 11:15, but they haven't bothered putting a third Ferdinand showing in. That slot will probably be another SW.

My 2 locals are only giving the movie a single preview - at 5pm...its preview numbers won't be reported b/c they will be awful...

PS - Neither are Atom theaters (seems the one local that was is no longer...or isn't for this movie), so it's no surprise each have zero sales so far for these previews...

Edited by TwoMisfits

36 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Is this an Atom theatre?  With them offering the possibility of 3 for 1 tickets, I see those theaters getting any presales this movie may have (which won't be much til Sat showings...like The Star, I see this not reporting previews b/c it literally won't have any)...

No, it was a Cinemark theater under the Century brand name.

• Like 2

FWIW, my theater's Ferdinand sales haven't been so bad. As of now, its OW has sold around 71 tickets out of 1257 seats (Thursday has 1 showtime, Friday has 4, Saturday and Sunday have 6, and almost all of them are in 71-seat theaters), which is roughly what My Little Pony was at the Thursday before showtime, and it still has a few days left to go. It's not particularly great, as only about two or three showtimes have sold more than 10 tickets, but it's an "original" animated film ("original" in that it's not a sequel or based on a relevant brand) from an animation studio without the adult appeal of Disney, Pixar, or even Illumination, so it's not really all that presales-driven to begin with.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No, it was a Cinemark theater under the Century brand name.

That's our nearest theater, a Century 16. I don't even call it Cinemark because it has always been a Century, and they only refer to Cinemark with their rewards program, but I always have to remember to call it Cinemark if I'm online :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoSaysI said:

Just did a 5 minute pulse tracking where the average tickets per minute (using time stamps in upper left corner) was bout 85 sets of tickets per minute.  Never have looked at this before so hopefully that is accurate.

Just did a check and it's holding steady at around 80 per minute.  Commenting more for historical comparison reasons for other super blockbusters (including Ep 9).

Presuming this thread doesn't disappear that is. :lol:

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Just did a check and it's holding steady at around 80 per minute.  Commenting more for historical comparison reasons for other super blockbusters (including Ep 9).

I don't think any of these are good comps but from earlier in the thread during the Monday of JL opening week the following was posted for tickets sold per minute (with JL coming in at around 20):

SM: HC:  15 avg (11am),  20 avg (3pm)

WW:   15 avg (1pm)

Thor:  13.5 (12pm)

It:       20 avg (9pm) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Only comps I have for the day and time

WW: 41 avg (4pm)

JL: 22.2  avg (4pm)

Edited by TalismanRing

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

That would put the opening in the 225m range. That's what I am going with as well. Although it's important to mention that presales have been increasing over the years but then again TFA was such a standout even that I think people may not be rushing out to pre book TLJ comparatively so it balances out. 

225 sounds good.

2 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what s/he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

Is "Deep Wang" someone new?  I've seen the name a couple of times recently, but I don't recall seeing it when I was around before. Is that the same person who used to post here, or is that someone different?

6 minutes ago, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what s/he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

@Porthos

You'll get an 'Astonished' like when my counter clears. ;)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Is "Deep Wang" someone new?  I've seen the name a couple of times recently, but I don't recall seeing it when I was around before. Is that the same person who used to post here, or is that someone different?

Deep Wang has been around for a bit, but some DC fanboys caused the original thread to be purged and DW's identity to go secret back in May.