grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Indeed. I'm pissed they took 1000 screens from EG. Should have been 1400 DP and 700 EG.

actully is 900 for endgame i think, but really 200 theater wont make much of a difference

12 minutes ago, john2000 said:

actully is 900 for endgame i think, but really 200 theater wont make much of a difference

Maybe but they will never get those screens back it will depress the daily further resulting in more screens lost. Suffice to say I'm pissed.

• Like 1

Remember the counts are theater counts not screen counts. It didn't lose 984 screens, it lost 984 theaters. 

I'd be willing to bet in most cases it is a theater that is getting rid of both films, not just one, to make room for new films. Especially given how close the numbers are in both terms of how many theaters they are losing (986 and 984) and how many they still have (2161 and 2121).  Both DP an AE are pretty much on only 1 screen at all but maybe the largest cinemas at this point. 

Not all cinemas have huge number of screens. There are alot that only have enough screens to show movies on one screen and then for every new film they get they have to take a screen away.

I suspect for most theaters it wasn't a matter or AE or DP, they had 2 new films coming out that they had to make room for so both get the boot as the lowest performing movies at that cinema.

Edited by RamblinRed
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Remember the counts are theater counts not screen counts. It didn't lose 984 screens, it lost 984 theaters. 

I'd be willing to bet in most cases it is a theater that is getting rid of both films, not just one, to make room for new films. Especially given how close the numbers are in both terms of how many theaters they are losing (986 and 984) and how many they still have (2161 and 2121).  Both DP an AE are pretty much on only 1 screen at all but maybe the largest cinemas at this point. 

Not all cinemas have huge number of screens. There are alot that only have enough screens to show movies on one screen and then for every new film they get they have to take a screen away.

I suspect for most theaters it wasn't a matter or AE or DP, they had 2 new films coming out that they had to make room for so both get the boot as the lowest performing movies at that cinema.

True but less both since both are bombing it's frustrating.

3 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

True but less both since both are bombing it's frustrating.

Its just sort of the story of summer releases. There are so many movies released that the older movies and/or lower performing movies have to be dropped so that week's new releases can be shown.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

Its just sort of the story of summer releases. There are so many movies released that the older movies and/or lower performing movies have to be dropped so that week's new releases can be shown.

yeah same happened with iw last year

Still think MiB:I looks fun enough to be enjoyable.  Shaft will probably be entertaining as well.  Sadly it looks like the GA is completely disinterested in both films.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Still think MiB:I looks fun enough to be enjoyable.  Shaft will probably be entertaining as well.  Sadly it looks like the GA is completely disinterested in both films.

Yeah MIB looks pretty fun to me and I'll probably see it for the cast alone. I think there are two issues. A) No Will Smith makes people not associate it with the previous Men in Black movies. b) It's marketing is mostly composed of jokes without much of a hook to get people interested.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Menor said:

Yeah MIB looks pretty fun to me and I'll probably see it for the cast alone. I think there are two issues. A) No Will Smith makes people not associate it with the previous Men in Black movies. b) It's marketing is mostly composed of jokes without much of a hook to get people interested.

Worse, the jokes they do highlight aren't that funny. 

It feels like warmed over MIB - and MIB2 already did that (badly).

When this first got announced, somebody mentioned that pretty much all of the love for the first MIB was Will Smith's presence, and nobody really cared about the actual lore or world of Men in Black. Independence Day kinda had the same problem too. I feel like having at least one of the two leads be a big A-lister would have helped the movie out immeasurably. Jumanji and Aladdin played it smart by replacing their former A-list star with another big A-list star. Jumanji even had two (arguably three if you want to include Jack Black in there)

• Like 1

Current Predictions for Various Opening Weekends, 2019 - As of June 7

Toy Story 4: $152 million 

Spider-Man FFH: $198 million (6 day)

The Lion King: $224 million 

Hobbs & Shaw: $91 million 

It - Chapter 2: $116 million 

Joker: $77 million 

Maleficent 2: $51 million 

Terminator - Dark Fate: $39 million 

Frozen 2: $167 million

Star Wars - TROS: $231 million

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hokkaido MUTO said:

Deadline is saying KOTM will deal with a 69% drop. I hope they’re wrong about that because that’s real bad.

I’d imagine the drop this weekend would be rough considering it looses its imax screens(hopefully not that much though).... but it should then stabilize next weekend etc.