grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

52 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Yes my cinemark has regular Aladdin showtimes up for Thursday and Friday 

5 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

Bellweather Cinemark I follow in Salt Lake has two Aladdin showtimes up for Thursday and 5 (1 3d, 4 regular) for Friday. The preview night 6:00 PM has 2/104 sold currently, all the other showtimes have yet to sell any tickets.

Just a local thing then.  Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Aladdin is at 21 tickets for the Thursday at my theater all for 2D. Which is really solid considering the last live action Disney film, Dumbo, was at 38 tickets the Monday before release at my theater so :ph34r:

But Detective Pikachu finished with a little over 30 by the time night came around so im gonna make that the target for Aladdin at my theater. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 2

Just now, Nova said:

Aladdin is at 21 tickets for the Thursday at my theater all for 2D. Which is really solid considering the last live action Disney film, Dumbo, was at 38 tickets the Monday before release at my theater so :ph34r:

But Detective Pikachu finished with a little over 30 by the time night came around so im gonna make that the target for Aladdin at my theater. 

What’s Detective pikachu compared to dumbo and Shazam in your cinema ?

• Like 1

Just now, Minnale101 said:

What’s Detective pikachu compared to dumbo and Shazam in your cinema ?

Detective Pikachu is running 165% ahead of Shazam 10 days before release. 

The only comp for Dumbo is Monday of release and it’s currently 235% of that 10 days out though. 

But a note I wanna make is that Pikachu has solid Saturday and Sunday matinee business. Saturday is at 70% filled and Sunday is at 40% filled for the 11AM so I’m not expecting the film to be front loaded at my theater. 

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Mulder said:

So far at my local theater Aladdin's sold....eleven tickets. :ph34r:

It's only been on sale for a couple of hours, but, yeah not exactly lighting the world on fire.

I think people got spoiled by recent CBM pre-sales. ;)

===

Gonna use Pika Pika as the yardstick comp and keep using JW2 and FB2 as supplemental comps, I think.  Pikachu might end up being the best comp overall (PG, family film, devoted base that may or may not show up).  If I had BatB numbers, that'd be ideal.  But I don't.  Still, be interesting to see how it does against Pikachu, esp since both films are currently battling against the maelstrom that is EG.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Nova said:

Detective Pikachu is running 165% ahead of Shazam 10 days before release. 

The only comp for Dumbo is Monday of release and it’s currently 235% of that 10 days out though. 

But a note I wanna make is that Pikachu has solid Saturday and Sunday matinee business. Saturday is at 70% filled and Sunday is at 40% filled for the 11AM so I’m not expecting the film to be front loaded at my theater. 

Yeah I was checking the booking in some amc cinemas. The matinee and evening shows were doing decent but late shows like 10pm and 11pm shows had little traction

need to get 90s nostalgia with wom to fill up late shows 

• Like 1

I don’t think using CBM is a good comp for Aladdin. My main goal was to collect data for it and Pikachu since I expect them to play out more like family films and use them as data points for future family films. Sucks that the Fandango data is gonna be incomplete for both so I’m hoping my personal theater will be a good data point until Fandango levels back to normal 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

Yeah I was checking the booking in some amc cinemas. The matinee and evening shows were doing decent but late shows like 10pm and 11pm shows had little traction

need to get 90s nostalgia with wom to fill up late shows 

It’s sold a decent amount for Friday night at my theater and like 20% for the latest Saturday night but the latest time at my theater is 9:30PM thus far lol Pretty dead for the 1PM and 4:00PM shows though 

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I don’t think using CBM is a good comp for Aladdin. My main goal was to collect data for it and Pikachu since I expect them to play out more like family films and use them as data points for future family films. Sucks that the Fandango data is gonna be incomplete for both so I’m hoping my personal theater will be a good data point until Fandango levels back to normal 

Same. I expect Aladdin will be very much a last minute purchase kind of movie.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

It’s sold a decent amount for Friday night at my theater and like 20% for the latest Saturday night but the latest time at my theater is 9:30PM thus far lol Pretty dead for the 1PM and 4:00PM shows though 

Yeah that’s usually the time families go into cinemas in after noon. Should do fine with walk ups there 

I can also confirm that at my three theaters the matinee and afternoon performances of Pikachu are almost at full capacity and the evenings are right now at less half. So it's selling well but it's definitely gearing towards more family friendly times.

I think adults will be the ones going to the late showings in hopes of avoiding screaming children. And that's likely gonna be more walk up friendly as well.

Edited by Cappoedameron
  • Like 2

Btw we should emphasize that anything above a 60M OW is a big win for Pika-Pika. In the past nearly every video-game or anime adaptation failed at the box office so that result would already be very good. Im personally still expecting the film to do 80M+ on OW since i think it will be very walk-up friendly and kids will probably love the shit out of it.

• Like 4

Important to remember Dumbo turned out to be a lot more front-loaded than expected (both previews to OW and OW to DOM total), so there seems to be more of a fanboy rush to these remakes than something like a Secret Life of Pets. So Aladdin's pre-sales might still be important.

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Btw we should emphasize that anything above a 60M OW is a big win for Pika-Pika. In the past nearly every video-game or anime adaptation failed at the box office so that result would already be very good. Im personally still expecting the film to do 80M+ on OW since i think it will be very walk-up friendly and kids will probably love the shit out of it.

Going from early reactions from press, adults loved it as well.

I think it's OW will be a 85/90M OW. Although I hope for 100M + but unless there's a crap ton of walk ups which hey they're could be, we never known what to expect.

BTW I want to clarify the times I'm referring to are the 3 theaters around my area during Pikachu's opening weekend. Not just Thursday, I have no idea how those tickets are selling. There's on theatre by me that has not posted showtimes for any of their movies.

Edited by Cappoedameron

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I guess it depends on if Aladdin plays more like Beauty and The Beast or more like a family movie. @It's presales 

Judging by the incomplete Fandango tracker and my theater, it seems like it’s in the middle. 

• Like 1