grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

YourMother’s North Shore Cinema Update:

- Coco hasn’t started presales yet but some Marcus Theaters have posted previews

- JL continues to sell well

- DH2 and OE sell like shit

- The Star and Wonder have decent sales so far.

At my local mall theater Thor sales have been incredible.  It is selling out 70%+ of RealDs even..all day long.  Every Regular, Dolby, Imax3D from 1030am on has been full.  I havent tabulated it but probably at least 50% above SMH Saturday here..and could be  $60,000+ in sales at this one theater

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

At my local mall theater Thor sales have been incredible.  It is selling out 70%+ of RealDs even..all day long.  Every Regular, Dolby, Imax3D from 1030am on has been full.  I havent tabulated it but probably at least 50% above SMH Saturday here..and could be  $60,000+ in sales at this one theater

Yeah, I have east coast metro theaters where it's also gangbusters...makes me wonder if it's missing somewhat off the coasts, since I'd have expected higher numbers looking at my personal area...like is flyover country not heading out like the coasts are...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Yeah, I have east coast metro theaters where it's also gangbusters...makes me wonder if it's missing somewhat off the coasts, since I'd have expected higher numbers looking at my personal area...like is flyover country not heading out like the coasts are...

What I was thinking too...there is either weakness somewhere else in the country or that Saturday estimate is going to rise.  It will definitely do comfortably more here today than it did Thursday and Friday combined - and not just at the mall theater but the surrounding ones have all been packed as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rumpot said:

Looking at NYC and just clicking on the next showtimes of a dozen or so theaters and almost all are 80%+ filled with a lot of near sell outs...:o

• Like 2

Weekdays this week should be uber-strong in VA (DC Metro) and NJ (Philly and NYC Metro) for all movies...it's NJ week for teachers and elections in both states, so almost all public schools (aka voting booths) will be off Monday/Tuesday.  In NJ, thanks to Jersey week, some schools will literally close all week (elections, teacher conferences, Vet's Day)...

Funny enough, in VA, b/c of the election holidays, not all school systems will take off for Vet's Day...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Weekdays this week should be uber-strong in VA (DC Metro) and NJ (Philly and NYC Metro) for all movies...it's NJ week for teachers and elections in both states, so almost all public schools (aka voting booths) will be off Monday/Tuesday.  In NJ, thanks to Jersey week, some schools will literally close all week (elections, teacher conferences, Vet's Day)...

Funny enough, in VA, b/c of the election holidays, not all school systems will take off for Vet's Day...

Wow that's huge.  Should also boost today...another tiny boost for today that I almost feel silly for mentioning is it's an.hour longer thanks to daylight savings

Daddy’s Home 2

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 1/139

7:30 - 5/139

10:00 - 1/139

Things aren’t looking well for DH2 at my theater. I’m thinking sub $20M OW may happen. Selling 11% of Baywatch and 30% of DM3.

Murder On The Orient Express

North Shore Cinema

11/9/17 (4 days before previews, 5 before release)

Mequon, WI

7:00 - 6/116

10:00 - 0/116

Things also aren’t well for OE. I’ll find comparisons for both later.

The Star

North Shore Cinema (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

11/16/17

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 5/122

7:30 - 5/122

10:00 - 5/122

Pretty solid start for a animated movie presales wise. Running at 62.5% of DM3 at about the same time.

Edited by YourMother

14 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The Star

North Shore Cinema (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

11/16/17

Mequon, WI

5:00 - 5/122

7:30 - 5/122

10:00 - 5/122

Pretty solid start for a animated movie presales wise.

Maybe this will be the flyover movie that everyone has been waiting to hit all year (well, at least the one that's not a supers movie:)...

• Sad 1

On 10/31/2017 at 8:31 PM, YourMother said:

Justice League 

North Shore Cinema 

Mequon, WI (16 Days before previews, 17 before release)

6:00 - 51/301 - Ultrascreen

7:00 - 4/146

8:00 - 1/139

9:00 - 30/301 - Ultrascreen 

10:00 - 2/146

11:00 - 1/139

12:00 - 9/301 - Ultrascreen 

Running about 21% ahead of Ragnarok at about the same time.

Justice League 

North Shore Cinema 

11/16/17 (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 64/301 - Ultrascreen 

7:00 - 10/146 

9:00 - 36/301 - Ultrascreen 

Running 27% ahead of Homecoming at the same time, translating into a $148.24M OW.

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Maybe this will be the flyover movie that everyone has been waiting to hit all year (well, at least the one that's not a supers movie:)...

15 tickets total isn’t that impressive. Could just be one family per showing.

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

15 tickets total isn’t that impressive. Could just be one family per showing.

Unless you’re Illumination or Pixar or WDAS, family films don’t have much of a dent here at my theater. Which is why I don’t track them. However it’s very much ahead of DH2 which is good. But The Star is also a Christian film which tend to have audience that preorders but idk.

Edited by YourMother

20 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Unless you’re Illumination or Pixar or WDAS, family films don’t have much of a dent here at my theater. Which is why I don’t track them. However it’s very much ahead of DH2 which is good. But The Star is also a Christian film which tend to have audience that preorders but idk.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Christian families getting in early but I suspect it won’t translate to a huge OW

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Christian families getting in early but I suspect it won’t translate to a huge OW

Agreed. If my theater’s estimates were true, it’d have a $42M OW according to how it is with DM3 at the same time and it’s more likely to end at $40M than open with it. The fact that it’s outpacing Daddy’s Home 2 is good though.

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Agreed. If my theater’s estimates were true, it’d have a $42M OW according to how it is with DM3 at the same time and it’s more likely to end at $40M than open with it. The fact that it’s outpacing Daddy’s Home 2 is good though.

DH2 might be more walk up friendly same with Murder on the Orient Express. 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

DH2 might be more walk up friendly same with Murder on the Orient Express. 

That too. When final showtimes are posted Tuesday, I’ll have a better idea. However if The Star is selling good, I have no doubt Coco will sell infinitely greater.

Edited by YourMother

Daddy's Home 2 4 234 1.7%
Murder on the Orient Express 40 234 17.1%
Justice League 244 1,216 20.1%
Wonder 2 156 1.3%
Star 0 234 0.0%
Coco 4 156 2.6%
Stars Wars: Last Jedi 1,528 2,350 65.0%
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Hiccup23 said:

Daddy's Home 2 4 234 1.7%
Murder on the Orient Express 40 234 17.1%
Justice League 244 1,216 20.1%
Wonder 2 156 1.3%
Star 0 234 0.0%
Coco 4 156 2.6%
Stars Wars: Last Jedi 1,528 2,350 65.0%

how many seats are there in your theater?

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Justice League 

North Shore Cinema 

11/16/17 (11 days before previews, 12 before release)

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 64/301 - Ultrascreen 

7:00 - 10/146 

9:00 - 36/301 - Ultrascreen 

Running 27% ahead of Homecoming at the same time, translating into a $148.24M OW.

Remember that till last week Thor was running 40% ahead of SMH in presales count which would have meant an opening of 164 million. But SMH had crazy sales on Wed/Thu before opening to the point that its final presales ended higher than Thor and Thor is expected to open only 3% above it. 

So SMH is probably not the best comparision here. Guardians maybe the best comparision with Thor a second

• Like 2