grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Comps?

Couldn't tell you due to my flawed methodology in the old (now junked) thread.  But it sure seems like a lot.  Makes me think it is very likely to hit that 300 sets per minute I vaguely recall R1 hitting on release day.

Still waiting for the blankout on an iPad screen in vertical mode where it is nothing bit TLJ icons as far as the eye can see. :lol:

(xposted with TLJ Mothership thread)

GREATER SACRAMENTO SELLOUT REPORT: T-3 days

Previews: 37/133 (+1/nc) [R1: 12/107 showings]

(Includes Double Feature & Opening Night Fan Event)

2D: 29/89 (+0/+0) [R1: 10/71]

3D: 8/44 (+1/+0)   [R1: 2/36]

<<Reserved Theater Info: 81 showings [R1: 46 showings]>>

Almost Sold Out (95%+ sold out)

10 (-1) [R1: 4]

Nearly Sold Out (90% to 94% sold out)

7 (+3) [R1: 5]

Front Two Rows Only (or the equivalent amount of seats)

29 (-1) [R1: 21]

Heavily Sold (75% to 89% sold out)

1 (-1) [R1: 0]

NOTE:  If a showing only has wheelchair and wheelchair companion seats left, it is counted as a sellout

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think one difference between the 2, there was some weird fear of not being able to watch TFA if you would not pre-buy well in advance your tickets, even talk of Disney needing to talk to people that they can still go buy ticket without problem that weekend. And didn't they play the movie 24 hours unstop in some place ?

That will not happen this time people realized you cannot really come close to max out a weekend now a day with that many screens.

What won’t happen?! Many theaters are playing TLJ 24 hours daily, including mine. They’ve sold more than 30 tickets for a 4 am showing opening day. It’s around the clock all weekend. It’s happening buttercup :P lol

Just now, JonathanLB said:

What won’t happen?! Many theaters are playing TLJ 24 hours daily, including mine. They’ve sold more than 30 tickets for a 4 am showing opening day. It’s around the clock all weekend. It’s happening buttercup :P lol

People not being able to see it in the first weekend because there would not have any seat left, that was a real thought in 2015.

Those people were being silly, there are always some seats they’re just shitty ones. If I wanted a good seat to TLJ I would pick the worst shitty theater I can imagine that still has solid enough systems (in my market a theater where they built a better theater two miles away) and then just go early, it’s not even reserved seating haha. That theater never sells out of any movie, everyone knows it’s not great. And for a casual maybe that’s ok

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

I think one difference between the 2, there was some weird fear of not being able to watch TFA if you would not pre-buy well in advance your tickets, even talk of Disney needing to talk to people that they can still go buy ticket without problem that weekend. And didn't they play the movie 24 hours unstop in some place ?

That will not happen this time people realized you cannot really come close to max out a weekend now a day with that many screens.

Many theaters are running 24 hours for The Last Jedi.  

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

29 minutes ago, Barnack said:

People not being able to see it in the first weekend because there would not have any seat left, that was a real thought in 2015.

You have no idea what you are talking about and that was not a real thought.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lor San Tele said:

So we've reached out to Deep Wang to get some more clarification about LAST JEDI compared to TFA, and if I'm interpreting what s/he sent correctly, TLJ presales are stronger than I expected... running approximately 10% behind TFA's presales to date.

@Porthos

So we're looking at O/U 230m OW?

1st local is UP (Cinemark)...

NEW

Star Wars (3 - this did NOT change - 16 total showings starting before 9am Fri - drops to 14 showings Sat/Sun in a more normal start) - this is a surprise -no added screen - I blame the Disney terms...

Ferdinand (1 - 1 3d showing / 4 2d showings)

Returning

Coco (KEEPS 2 - that's another shock, but our school system is out as of Friday, so maybe it shouldn't be - it's gonna be enormous family week here)

Justice League (1)

The Star (3/4 - it actually INCREASED its showings here and will now have 4 - however, it still ends by 5pm)

Wonder (1)

Daddy's Home 2 (1/4 - it splits with The Star and gets the 2 late shows - this is a shocking split to me, b/c I thought DH2 would have been a family seller, but I guess not - this must only attract teens and up here)

Thor (3/4 - has 4 showings, but last is 7pm)

MOE (3/4 - has 4 showings, but loses the 7pm one)

There are 1.5 open screens, so they may be getting more foreign films or limited ones...or saving room for Star Wars adds... 

As expected Bad Moms lost their sole showing, and all the foreign films from last week didn't get rebooked...surprisingly, Just Getting Started is fully dropped (or maybe they are getting 1 showing from the extra) and I'm more surprised 3 Billboards is so far, too...but EVERYTHING ELSE STAYED!  Pretty much if you attracted families, you won the "holdover" lottery...so that may be a warning to all the adult fare limiteds coming and going - they may be REALLY limited for screens and runs...gotta sell that popcorn!:)

Just now, Lor San Tele said:

Presales aren't just for OW, so.... I have no idea. Strong enough to hit a solid #2 all-time seems likely, though. 

There's a few factors that make it hard and go both ways.

1. Pre-Sales are becoming a bigger thing every year, especially with the advancement of reserved seating.

2. TFA was often advertised as a Christmas release, and received a lot of Christmas pre-sales.  TLJ isn't really being advertised that way, which means its pre-sales may be more concentrated toward OW.

3. TFA potentially had more of a rush factor than TLJ, which would speak highly of TLJ being right behind it if we expect more walks ups and factor in more Christmas pre-sales for TFA.

It's really hard to tell, but 2nd all time does seem very likely.

• Like 1

Can’t even beat its own predecessor. Interest in Star Wars is clearly fading, crumbling even. Every Marvel film pretty much makes more than the one before it in the series, except Avengers 2. So I guess this means enjoy SW while it lasts because it’s only a few years until these movies will be straight to streaming. ;)

Did a quick scan.

11 sellouts for F/St/Su without checking a single theater to see how many stealth-sellouts there are.  And I know that there quite a few having glanced yesterday.

An untold number of theaters with only a couple of rows of seats left as well.

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You have no idea what you are talking about and that was not a real thought.  

I am not talking in the industry obviously.

But among audience or at least click bait article was talking about audience member's thinking that.

Fandango crashed:

https://www.thewrap.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-movie-tickets-on-sale-now/

people bought ticket for high price:

http://www.businessinsider.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tickets-are-selling-for-thousands-2015-10

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-tickets-scalping-1201651963/

Article were mentionning that they were still ticket left to people:

http://deadline.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-advance-ticket-sales-box-office-1201631598/

Despite these record pre-sales figures, there are still millions of tickets left for opening weekend. Keep in mind, when Disney/Marvel’s The Avengers hit a $207.4M opening, the average theater had a capacity of 63%, so it wasn’t a total sell-out situation.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/movies/julie-hinds/2015/12/17/star-wars-the-force-awakens-ticket-sales-opening-theaters-selling-out/77425530/

There are many sellout screenings, especially at 7 tonight, when the "Force Awakens" hits U.S. theaters. But there are ample day and evening showings through Sunday with tickets remaining.

Article like:

https://www.bustle.com/articles/131473-is-the-force-awakens-sold-out-the-star-wars-film-has-been-in-high-demand

Is 'The Force Awakens' Sold Out? The Star Wars Film Has Been In High Demand

But if you were trying to wait out the crowds, you might be wondering if you'll still be able to nab a ticket when you head to the box office, or if The Force Awakens is sold out across the country even days later. Don't worry; although your hardcore friends may have had to stand in a two-hour line to get last row seats at midnight showings of the film a few days ago, tickets for the epic movie are now readily available.

There was people taking picture of empty screening that first sunday morning commenting about how the panic made no sense, it was really something that was pushed in the media of not having to worry you can still buy ticket because it was really an idea of a sold-out that many people had.

I could be remembering all about this incorrectly (and not knowing what I am talking about)