kayumanggi

Weekend Actuals: 36.2 M ALIEN: COVENANT | 34.7 M GOTG II | 11.7 M EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't GotG2 been underestimated every weekend so far? Sundays especially. Having it so close, at 36 vs 35 million, isn't there a small chance of GotG2 stealing first place with actuals?

Edit: I see it's already been mentioned.

Edited by lancelot123

Just now, lancelot123 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't GotG2 been underestimated every weekend so far? Sundays especially. Having it so close, at 36 vs 35 million, isn't there a small chance of GotG2 stealing first place with actuals?

To be fair to the tracker, almost 100% of is competition underperfomed and got a mixed to bad kind of reception, same for this weekend and it could still over-perform a bit.

6 hours ago, drdungbeetle said:

John Wick/David is boring, we all know David would job and get his head popped off. John Wick/Atomic Blonde is more interesting for a main event.

David wouldn't job as hard as Dr. Fate in Injustice 2 though lol

Alien Covenant is a clear underperformer, they should probably keep

the budgets way down if they want to continue this franchise.

Everything, Everything didn't really break out but it's solid enough where the studio will make a profit. Nice debut for Amandla Stenberg as a lead actress.

Wimpy Kid was just old news, they waited too long to make this. 

Edited by babz06

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

NOS is great. Universal, Paramount and WB are internal NOS teams dealing with marketing. Even independent stuff (Mechanic, Circle, NYSM, London Has Fallen) gets big marketing pushes. NOS just distributes Disney movies, tho. The marketing team is from Disney itself, and they stink. The Disney TV marketing consists in awful 5 seconds TV spots for their movies. 

Big Pictures is really good considering they don't have the kind of money NOS has. To save money they don't do marketing on the streets, and instead focus on TV. Blade Runner is gonna be fine.

June is gonna be ridiculous with WW, The Mummy, TF5 and DM3 coming from the NOS top teams.

Hmm. Well, if you say so. Disney should start sucking NOS' dicks, then. One sees what they do and imagines what they can do. Seriously, when Finding fucking Dory barely reaches (our) 50M OW yet Pets destroys (our) 100M, you know you've got a problem.

Can we talk about how Wimpy Kid bombed hard? It may make less than Rodrick Rules did on OW ($23M) domestically, now I am even more confident that CU will overperfrom OW.

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Can we talk about how Wimpy Kid bombed hard? It may make less than Rodrick Rules did on OW ($23M) domestically, now I am even more confident that CU will overperfrom OW.

Is it really a surprise it didn't do much? The last movie was nearly 5 years ago (and both its child actors and child audience outgrew it during the interim), and it's not like there was much demand for a soft reboot with a completely new cast. Luckily these movies don't cost much in the first place.

Edited by filmlover

Just now, filmlover said:

Is it really a surprise it didn't do much? The last movie was nearly 5 years ago (and both its child actors child audience outgrew it during the interim), and its not like there was much demand for a soft reboot with a completely new cast. Luckily these movies don't cost much in the first place.

Not to mention the whole #notmyRodrick scandal may have hurt more than helped. To be honest I was thinking $8M/$25M domestic for a while but this is the end of the Wimpy Kid movie franchise.

We just got out of Alien at the IMAX.  Honestly,  I liked it.  It wasn't great though,  the RT consensus sums it up nicely. I think IMAX is the way to go, there's some beautiful shots in this but damn @ that underwhelming OW.  

This probably won't do $100M.  That's not good. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Hmm. Well, if you say so. Disney should start sucking NOS' dicks, then. One sees what they do and imagines what they can do. Seriously, when Finding fucking Dory barely reaches (our) 50M OW yet Pets destroys (our) 100M, you know you've got a problem.

Dory sold 54000 tickets on OW. Pets sold 160000 tickets on OW. Insane.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is it really a surprise it didn't do much? The last movie was nearly 5 years ago (and both its child actors and child audience outgrew it during the interim), and it's not like there was much demand for a soft reboot with a completely new cast. Luckily these movies don't cost much in the first place.

Wimpy Kid's bombing is kind of amazing because (in theory) a movie like that shouldn't have too much difficulty hitting 15 mil. It's more an indication of how completely dead both live action kids' movies and comedies in general are. Compare that gross to The Sandlot adjusted...

2 minutes ago, PRESIDENT BKB said:

I think it's pretty impressive more so for GOTG Vol 2 than what ALIEN: COVENANT Made... It was so close that I'm surprised MARVEL/Disney didn't bother to fight for the #1 slot..

How would they "fight" for it? Send #fuckthatRidley protestors to all screenings of Alien Covenant?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

Although I've been wrong before (Lego Batman over $300M domestic), I have been right about some breakouts here people weren't expecting like Logan, Boss Baby and Sing. Some people are calling me crazy when I said there was a possibility where The Star (from Sony Animation) breaks out. Again, don't be surprised if The Lion King does $650M+ domestic, or when Black Panther does $350M+ domestic.

Agreed, those movies have a very good chance to break out that big.