kayumanggi

Thursday Numbers: 4.5 M BAYWATCH

Just now, Barnack said:

People make some deal out of this... but

1) Can you lock a long list of people and have them known about that universe plan before they sign on those contract and keep it secret ? (IF not you want to control that story)

2) Why does it matter (except for them loosing face), but I mean for us the audience ?

Because it's dumb to plan a franchise when the original movie doesn't succeed, is my point

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I was being facetious, but this increasingly common strategy of planning 3+ movies before the first has even come out — and openly publicizing it! — is demonstrates massive hubris on the part of studios. Almost to the point where I'm glad it often bites them in the ass.

The Mummy is tracking badly. They publicized the universe to garner hype for the mummy.

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alli said:

The Mummy is tracking badly. They publicized the universe to garner hype for the mummy.

And if they have any sense they'll keep that strategy quiet in the future.

We all know if a film's big nowadays it'll almost certainly have a sequel, that's nothing new. But it'd be nice to go into a film assuming there's at least a degree of self-containment to the story we're about to see, rather than a ten year plan already in the works.

• Like 1

Just now, Alli said:

The Mummy is tracking badly. The publicized the universe to garner hype for the mummy.

See, I think it is counter-productive to tell fans they need to drop $60+ to understand and enjoy the whole universe vs telling them they can drop $12 and have a full enjoyable wrapped up movie...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

I was being facetious, but this increasingly common strategy of planning 3+ movies before the first has even come out — and openly publicizing it! — is demonstrates massive hubris on the part of studios. Almost to the point where I'm glad it often bites them in the ass.

Isn't simply than before they never locked people for more than 2 movie and now they have contract with a long maybe plan ahead they sign, making it know by a lot of people in the industry/agents that a long series is planned (when it was just a maybe we will make sequels for the potters or twilight movie it stayed like this, they would not sign everyone a movie at a time now)

The fact that they cancel them very easily if the movie fail just show how much they are not in people will like what we tell them to like and how much it is the other way around, people saying them what to do.

I think it is projecting self-confidence into them, when it is the other way arounds, they often talk about sequels just before a movie release because it is not tracking that well and want to show a confidence that is not there at all (power ranges, ghostbuster, etc...).

When they have real confidence about it, like they did for Star Wars or The Hobbit or an MCU Phase you can feel the difference.

Just now, Hatebox said:

And if they have any sense they'll keep that strategy quiet in the future.

We all know if a film's big nowadays it'll almost certainly have a sequel, that's nothing new. But it'd be nice to go into a film assuming there's at least a degree of self-containment to the story we're about to see, rather than a ten year plan already in the works.

Agreed.  i also think the rusell crowe part will drag the film down. trying to establish the universe...and the runtime is low too. a mess

6 minutes ago, FantasticBeasts said:

No? I may be using the term wrong but what I was stating is that SS's  audience was mostly teens and young adults while WW will be more friendly towards families and young kids.

I agree Suicide Squad targeted teens hard but I didn't really get the typical YA vibe (Divergent, Hunger Games, etc)

6 minutes ago, franfar said:

Because it's dumb to plan a franchise when the original movie doesn't succeed, is my point

Look how much the Twilight cast made on the sequels (it was like 60-80 m for the main trio by movie), it is certainly not dumb to plan a franchise from the start and lock some key people at a reasonable price point in advance no ?

I think the planning is an almost necessary way to go with how much talent schedule can get cramped.

3 minutes ago, GiantCALBears said:

How is Pirates expected to do WW? 

The movies do very well OS, and have been progressively increasing

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $1,066.2 $423.3 39.7% $642.9 60.3% 2006
2 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides BV $1,045.7 $241.1 23.1% $804.6 76.9% 2011
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $963.4 $309.4 32.1% $654.0 67.9% 2007
4 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl BV $654.3 $305.4 46.7% $348.9 53.3% 2003
5 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $34.5 n/a 0% $34.5 100% 2017
TOTAL: $3,764.1 $1,279.2 34.0% $2,484.9 66.0% -
AVERAGE: $752.8 $255.8 34.0% $497.0 66.0%

-

My random guess is 750-800m

Edited by franfar

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Look how much the Twilight cast made on the sequels (it was like 60-80 m for the main trio by movie), it is certainly not dumb to plan a franchise from the start and lock some key people at a reasonable price point in advance no ?

I think the planning is an almost necessary way to go with how much talent schedule can get cramped.

Twilight was based off a popular book series, not a good comparison

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Planning is ok, but don't announce it publicly!

1 minute ago, franfar said:

The movies do very well OS, and have been progressively increasing

Worldwide (Unadjusted)

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Worldwide Domestic / % Overseas / % Year
1 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $1,066.2 $423.3 39.7% $642.9 60.3% 2006
2 Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides BV $1,045.7 $241.1 23.1% $804.6 76.9% 2011
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End BV $963.4 $309.4 32.1% $654.0 67.9% 2007
4 Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl BV $654.3 $305.4 46.7% $348.9 53.3% 2003
5 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales BV $34.5 n/a 0% $34.5 100% 2017
TOTAL: $3,764.1 $1,279.2 34.0% $2,484.9 66.0% -
AVERAGE: $752.8 $255.8 34.0% $497.0 66.0%

-

My random guess is 750-800m

Internationally?

The way it's going now it might not even reach 500 million internationally.

I don't think the Pirates number is that bad... Is more a Family film, i don't see this movie like a movie who people think "i need to see right now in thursday midnights".

It's not gonna touch what i expected, but i still can see a $ 70 - 80m (4 day).