Eric the Ape

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Sooooooo Alien. Assuming yesterday got it to 47M:

May 26: 13M (4.4M weekdays, 64.4M Total)

Jun 2: 5.2M (2M weekdays, 71.6M Total)

Jun 9: 2.3M (1M weekdays, 74.9M Total)

Jun 16: 1M (500k weekdays, 76.4M Total)

Final Total: 79M (2.18x)

:sadben:  :sadben:   :sadben:  :sadben:  :sadben:  

D6l8fu1.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Why did I raise my GOTG prediction? :sadben: 

Alien is dropping 60%+ on Memorial Weekend. Let that sink in for a moment :sadben: 

The last time that happened was Godzilla which then crawled across the 200M mark after opening to 93M. Similar legs for Covenant won't surprise me.

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

lol Alien Covenant is not summer blockbuster. Why they gave it a May release is beyond me 

Especially considering the original release date was an empty August. Alien moving to a May release date changed Summer 2017 as there was a lot of movies moved around that week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Especially considering the original release date was an empty August. Alien moving to a May release date changed Summer 2017 as there was a lot of movies moved around that week.

EVERYONE looked at it as a Prometheus. People didn't want to compete with a 400M+ WW grosser. 

Baywatch's numbers are really bad unfortunately. However, that should be expected though after the horrible reviews and the bad trailers & tv spots. 

Pirates number aren't bad, but not great either. Just pretty meh. 

11 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well... Yeah. But why the comparison?

That one that Besson himself talk about when he presented is movie early footage in a Q&A (but by saying well we will not beat Cameron, but will try to be in the mix for number 2)

Both Avatar and Valerian are giant space action adventure movie, long time dream of powerful auteur director in full control of the process, with a bit of Sci-fi/fantasy element, from IMDB category:

PG-13 | 2h 42min | Action, Adventure, Fantasy 

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017)

PG-13 | 2h 17min | Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Both will try to be franchise of movies, will need to wait and see the movie (and Avatar 2) maybe in hindsight the comparison will feel silly, but it is a possible one to make.