Eric the Ape

WEEKEND THREAD | 3-DAY ESTIMATES: Pirates - 62M ; Baywatch - 18M; Alien - 10.5M (71% drop) like. F8 crosses 1B OS.

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yep. It's having Gojira legs.

:rofl:That's the Power Rangers stan, right?

Baywatch...looks like the Rock's golden franchise-saving touch lost it's magic. :(

Edited by Valonqar

Not bad for Pirates. It definitely feels like the ship has sailed (pun half-intended) and Johnny Depp is so steeped in audience backlash that I would consider an opening day north of $20 million to be a victory, even if it's far, far, far away from the level At World's End opened at over Memorial Day weekend ten years ago.

Pirates number are extremely disappointed....also, kind of expected.

But this movie, like the last one, was not made for US audience (box office wise), but rather global audience. Any US number for this movie is a plus for Disney.

That's the bottom line here.

32 minutes ago, Alli said:

People got tired of Jack Sparrow. he has very specific characteristics (drunken, odd, crazy) that are fresh the first few times, but get tired if there's too much.   that's why most action movie heroes that stand the test of time don't really have any strong characteristics. people can transfer themselves to them.

i'm curious how fast people will get tired of deadpool

probably faster cause it doesn't cater to as many demos as POTC

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Oh, can we talk about how there are 7 movies releasing on October 20 now that Lionsgate has announced Boo! A Madea Halloween 2? What the hell is going to move?

I bet money on geostorm and granite mountain hotshots.

5 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

Not bad for Pirates. It definitely feels like the ship has sailed (pun half-intended) and Johnny Depp is so steeped in audience backlash that I would consider an opening day north of $20 million to be a victory, even if it's far, far, far away from the level At World's End opened at over Memorial Day weekend ten years ago.

Reportedly the film cost far less at $230m.  If so it will do quite fine WW and might wind up more profitable than the last.

It seems to be looking at around a $270m WW opening this w/e. It made $34m.5  (not including China previews) as of Thursday

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-of-the-caribbean-dead-men-tell-no-tales-international-box-office-opening-1202103062/

For reference, On Stranger Tides‘ opening weekend was about $175M in the same markets and at today’s exchange rates; it went on to gross $805M offshore.