franfar

Wonder Woman sexism/misandry/gender discrimination/Marxism/fascism thread | EJECT EJECT EJECT

10 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

We're gonna need to move a big chunk of this to

a new thread, but a key thing to consider:

Discrimination is problematic when it's the dominant ethnicity/culture pushing aside or persecuting minorities (whether ethnic or gender or what have you). It's not an issue when minorities or those who've faced some sort of similar persecution choose to have an event to

celebrate that particular status or culture. 

Men (in particular white men) have essentially dominated most cultures and the opposite gender through violence and power throughout history. They've largely treated everyone else like chattel. The fact that a few men are getting pissy about a few screenings that do not limit men from seeing this particular movie speaks volumes to how narrow this male perspective viewpoint can get. Anything can feel like persecution when the typical white male perspective ("I can do anything I want whenever I want") is limited, when in fact most of the rest of the world has to deal with this every single day in a billion different situations. 

This.

And - it's a bonus thing to all the usual screenings. Nothing is being taken away. And I also see a geographical element to it because it's almost exclusively Americans freaking out - while, as others have pointed out, when similar "Ladies Night" screenings and stuff happens in Europe everyone is cool with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

"Hatred of men" seems like insane hyperbole to me. 

I've passed by some meetings where women, worked into a state of almost religious frenzy, were chanting about cutting our dicks off. Literally. Does that qualify?

This is no lie. This happened a long time ago. The atmosphere has gotten worse over recent years.

3 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I've passed by some meetings where women, worked into a state of almost religious frenzy, were chanting about cutting our dicks off. Literally. Does that qualify?

This is no lie. This happened a long time ago. The atmosphere has gotten worse over recent years.

The flaw in your argument is equating that with this. It's also equating a niche group of (presumably) extremists in Sweden with contemporary American culture. 

I look forward to news reports of terrified Swedish men fearful of venturing outside, terrorized by roaming bands of vengeful women bent on castration. Somehow I guess Sweden turned into this matriarchal femdom camp of misandrist horror and the rest of the world never noticed. 

• Like 11

Man this thread. Can we stop bringing in phantom controversies into our threads? Yes this crap happens but it never happens here so who gives a f**k if some idiots in YouTube or twitter or wherever are being stupid?  Leave it there.  It only gets brought here to cause trouble that doesn't need to be.

It would he nice to be able to talk about the movie in the actual movie thread at times you know.

The other crap has its own threads to talk about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

The flaw in your argument is equating that with this. 

I'm not "equating" that with a women-only screening. I am, however, pointing out the slippery slope.

When "no men were involved in this", as in "no men work during this screening", "no men are allowed to attend this screening", becomes a selling argument, we are headed for trouble.

Bringing up historical oppression is a logical fallacy. I never owned any slaves. I am aware of my factual privilege - this is, "being a citizen of Sweden, an industrialized rich country profiteering off the work of the poor nations." Being a man, however, is usually to the detriment of a Swedish citizen, in a multitude of ways.

6 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I am, however, pointing out the slippery slope.

When "no men were involved in this", as in "no men work during this screening", "no men are allowed to attend this screening", becomes a selling argument, we are headed for trouble.

There is no slippery slope. It's not like we're deciding to let women have total dominance over men in every cultural, political, and financial circumstance. Though if we did for the next couple thousand years it might balance out the equation a bit. 

• Like 3

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

I'm not "equating" that with a women-only screening. I am, however, pointing out the slippery slope.

Bringing up historical oppression is a logical fallacy. I never owned any slaves. I am aware of my factual privilege - this is, "being a citizen of Sweden, an industrialized rich country profiteering off the work of the poor nations." Being a man, however, is usually to the detriment of a Swedish citizen, in a multitude of ways.

I will just say slippery slope arguments are pretty weak ones. Commuism did not spread like wildfire after Vietnam in Asia, many people smoke weed without touching cocaine, and a few women hate men regardless of "women only" events. Generally slipper slope arguments arent based on any actual evidence.

4 minutes ago, CowpersGland3000 said:

Dafuq is going on here?!  Why are the mods allowing this nonsense?!  Turn it back to Wonder Woman box office!  And reviews.  

I must point out the mods are taking active part in this discussion. Exclusively on one side.

I can agree to disagree. My last posts have all been either clarifying points or responses to people who have attacked me. I've even completely ignored the people attacking me for being a Marxist or trying to equate that to being a Nazi.

I look forward to the Wonder Woman movie. Hoping to watch it on the premiere.

8 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

There is no slippery slope. It's not like we're deciding to let women have total dominance over men in every cultural, political, and financial circumstance. Though if we did for the next couple thousand years it might balance out the equation a bit. 

Ah, I see.  It's the mods themselves adding fuel to the fire.  

1 minute ago, Tele Came Back said:

This is the exact mentality I can not, and will not, ever accept. Punish the people for the sins of their forefathers?! Essentially, this is fascism. It sickens me to the core.

3 minutes ago, Kathemy said:

This is the exact mentality I can not, and will not, ever accept. Punish the people for the sins of their forefathers?! Essentially, this is fascism. It sickens me to the core.

Thank you for accusing me of fascism. The fact you took me seriously with this comment speaks volumes. More to the point, at this moment in time, in America men are STILL granted ridiculous and continual exception in almost every aspect of culture and society. Our wishes are kowtowed to in every circumstance. 

No one is punishing anyone. To get vaguely back on topic, these screenings are not denying men ANYTHING. 

• Like 6

Just now, Tele Came Back said:

Thank you for accusing me of fascism. The fact you took me seriously with this comment speaks volumes. 

No one is punishing anyone. To get vaguely back on topic, these screenings are not denying men ANYTHING. 

I'm not saying, "you're a fascist". I'm saying that the fact the joke can even be made is a symptom of a fascist environment. If you'd swap the genders on this type of statement, nobody would accept it. Nobody would find it funny.

These screenings are denying the men the right to watch these screenings. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not genocide. It's a symbolic move. I oppose this symbolic move.

Clear?