YM!

WEEKEND THREAD | Actual: Wonder Woman 58.63M, Estimates: Mummy 32.2M, Underpants 12.3M, Pirates 10.2M, ICAN 6M

They kept the budget low on Mummy. It's doing well OS. That combined with whatever it does DOM will probably be enough for them to keep going. 

As as long as they keep the budgets for each movie around 100m, give or take, they'll be fine. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Not everyone is going to make movies that you like ijack

I know @baumer, my point is that this is bombing and I think I have a very good idea of the why. Do you want to make a "monsters cinematic universe"? Fine, by all means, do it. But give this thing an edge. This just feel toothless and harmless. 

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The Mummy will not be the next The Legend of Tarzan. That one was a hit because of the romance. It was a great love story.

Also...Margot Robbie as the damsel, Christoph Waltz as the antagonist and presence of Samuel Jackson. Not to mention the 'V'.

All trumps Cruise in a dour looking film. I won't hide though I am rooting big time for the Mummy.

Hoping it does ~35 ow.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Why do you love hard projects many people worked on flopping?  

yeah I don't get that either.  Don't get me wrong most people just say a movie looks like a flop which doesn't mean they are rooting for it to fail, but yes there is a small percentage that does actually root for movies to do poorly.  It's not like if a bad movie does poorly it means that they will make less bad movies :P

Edited by 75live

5 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I'm just saying that if you are going to make a "monsters universe", you better go less safe than this. They should have got people like James Wan, Scott Derrickson, Fede Alvarez and Jordan Peele for this, not this pseudo-adventure monster safe bullshit. When Deadpool and Logan both look less safer than a "monster cinematic universe", you have a problem. 

Scott Derrickson made the safest of the recent MCU fare though...

3 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

I know @baumer, my point is that this is bombing and I think I have a very good idea of the why. Do you want to make a "monsters cinematic universe"? Fine, by all means, do it. But give this thing an edge. This just feel toothless and harmless. 

Calling this toothless and harmless while championing MCU, which despite being enjoyable is far from a risk taker, is very hypocritical.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Who did the VFX for The Mummy Returns? 

Is it the movie that famously had not got the final rendering made for many SFX because of a big grid power failure close to the release date ?

IJack knows so much about all of these universes (whether it be the MCU, DCEU, Fox's Marvel and now the Dark Universe) and what makes them successful that he's about to take the job of all the studio heads. If IJack doesn't like it then that means it's no good and it won't be successful. Period. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Actually the Russos did.

Doctor Strange goes for a joke instead of having a third act action sequence. That rings as anything but safe (much closer to stupidity)

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

I strongly disagree. Both Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange are two of the best solo films of all time. WW is obviously better, but Strange has an edge to it that just like WW, it feels fresh within its genre. Strange has an edge and a subversion to the genre that I quite enjoy it. 

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

Actually the Russos did.

Doctor Strange goes for a joke instead of having a third act action sequence. That rings as anything but safe (much closer to stupidity)

Civil War was probably the least safe of the most recent MCU stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

I strongly disagree. Both Wonder Woman and Doctor Strange are two of the best solo films of all time. WW is obviously better, but Strange has an edge to it that just like WW, it feels fresh within its genre. Strange has an edge and a subversion to the genre that I quite enjoy it. 

Doctor Strange is as generic as you can get. It's only real unique flair to it were the visuals. Everything else was pretty by-the-numbers, not even a horror slant to it which is what I had expected considering the source material+Scott Derrickson getting hired.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Nova said:

IJack knows so much about all of these universes (whether it be the MCU, DCEU, Fox's Marvel and now the Dark Universe) and what makes them successful that he's about to take the job of all the studio heads. If IJack doesn't like it then that means it's no good and it won't be successful. Period. 

Actually, I just think it's common sense. There are new horror masters in town. Do you want to make a cinematic universe out of horror characters? The first to be consulted should be those guys. I'd like an horror/monsters cinematic universe. But this feel way less toothless than something like Stranger Things. No wonder why it's bombing. 

23 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Ok, the fuck?  There's a trailer attached to Cars 3 next week called "Olaf's Frozen Adventure."

http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/CARS3_US-INTEROP-232488.pdf

That's the Frozen Christmas special supposed to air in a few months. Why is it playing with Cars 3? Because...uhh...Wrinkle in Time isn't ready with a trailer yet?