baumer

WW Tuesday...8.8 Guru

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Last weekend Wonder Woman followed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pretty closely. Let's hope that's not the case this weekend. The increases for the turtles this weekend were pretty low. But there are plenty of films that still had good multipliers on the weekend. For example if it were to somehow follow Alice in Wonderland part 2 it would probably end up doing something like 45 million LOL

Or it could follow San Andreas Father Day's weekend for a 47M weekend! That was a 4th weekend drop though but hey, so was Alice in Wonderland. Spy did have a 28% drop on its 3rd weekend(Father's Day) though but that's a wildly different movie. Still, that would be over 42M.

Comparing 3rd weekends with Father Day isn't easy for Wonder Woman as I don't feel many movies in the past few years released on the same weekend as Wonder Woman had similar responses to it. Spy is indeed one but comedies are so different.

Going back for third weekends of blockbusters falling on father's day(3rd Sunday of June right?) until 2011:

The aforementioned Spy fell 28% obviously. Edge of Tomorrow fell 40%, Maleficent fell 46.5%; Now You See Me fell 42.1%, Prometheus fell 52.2%; Snow White and the Huntsman fell 42.5%, X-Men First Class fell 50.5%.

Are any of those good comparisons though?

Now, if we wanna stretch father's Day comparisons to 5th weekends we'd get Prince of Persia in 2010 with a 14.2% drop, which would give Wonder Woman just over 50M!

:redcapes:

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Turtles lost over 1000 theaters this weekend because it was not doing well at the box office which was the cause for the low Friday jump. Don't think WW has to worry about theater loss.

I agree.

I know I was off by about $9M with my Wonder Woman prediction last weekend, but I'm still thinking something between $35M and $40M this weekend. Probably closer to $35M. The drops from Tuesday to Wednesday this week are gonna be very, very steep given how much everything increased from Monday to Tuesday due to the NBA Finals Monday night.

4 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Great jump, confirms (for me at least) that the NBA Finals had a major impact. The fall will be pretty hefty today.

I knew that they would after seeing what happened last Wednesday and Thursday. Just further proves how much the insane viewership of that Mayweather fight had on Ultron's opening Saturday as well.

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

And the gap between GOTG2 and WW drops to about $38M with WW gaining probably $3M on GOTG2 in one day...(GOTG2 having $5.9M on its same Tuesday)...

The two advantages Guardians Vol. 2 has at the moment are it's awesome numbers Memorial Day weekend and it's late legs. Wonder Woman's late legs may be sliced by the coming Spidey flick and just how many pretty big releases are coming this July. Guardians will likely do another $4M+ this weekend. Honestly, it could to $5M+ even and then $4M and so on.

Even though Vol. 2 is gonna finish with $390M+ DOM, Jurassic World, Wonder Woman and other recent mega-releases are reminding just how beneficial summer weekdays truly are... That's what's intriguing about Spidey. And, honestly, look at the summer weekdays for Ant-Man and, especially Vol. 1... The buoyed the fuck outta those two. If Spidey does what some believe and opens to something like $135M+ DOM, it will have nearly $200M DOM in its coffers it's second weekend.

What I'm getting at is the first weekend in May will always be coveted but would Guardians, Civil War or Ultron done better had they opened the first/second weekend in June or July? I'm not saying enormously better but something like $25M+ per film was/is possible. Folks always go to movies on the weekends no matter the season but kids always love catching a flick on a weekday when school's out.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

6 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

The two advantages Guardians Vol. 2 has at the moment are it's awesome numbers Memorial Day weekend and it's late legs. Wonder Woman's late legs may be sliced by the coming Spidey flick and just how many pretty big releases are coming this July. Guardians will likely do another $4M+ this weekend. Honestly, it could to $5M+ even and then $4M and so on.

It could, but GOTG is likely out of theaters next week...it's down to 1/2 screens at both my locals...and Transformers will get the extra Mummy screen next week and then something else...that something else is pretty much GOTG at this point b/c so many other movies already dropped...

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

It could, but GOTG is likely out of theaters next week...it's down to 1/2 screens at both my locals...and Transformers will get the extra Mummy screen next week and then something else...that something else is pretty much GOTG at this point b/c so many other movies already dropped...

Out of theaters? Hmm, somehow I don't see that at all.  Maybe at a few local theaters that are smaller. But just about every major theater with a dozen+ screening rooms will have Guardians for many, many more weeks. It's still in the top 5 dailies and will remain there through Thursday.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Out of theaters? Hmm, somehow I don't see that at all.  Maybe at a few local theaters that are smaller. But just about every major theater with a dozen+ screening rooms will have Guardians for many, many more weeks. It's still in the top 5 dailies and will remain there through Thursday.

My 12 screen theater is getting rid of GOTG this weekend.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I know I was off by about $9M with my Wonder Woman prediction last weekend, but I'm still thinking something between $35M and $40M this weekend. Probably closer to $35M. The drops from Tuesday to Wednesday this week are gonna be very, very steep given how much everything increased from Monday to Tuesday due to the NBA Finals Monday night.

That's fine. Continue to underestimate the film's box office. ;)

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

you be easy on him. he only 11 or 12 year old (but with many exciting sex encounters).

Me teacher mother grammar make hard control to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Last weekend Wonder Woman followed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles pretty closely. Let's hope that's not the case this weekend. The increases for the turtles this weekend were pretty low. But there are plenty of films that still had good multipliers on the weekend. For example if it were to somehow follow Alice in Wonderland part 2 it would probably end up doing something like 45 million LOL

Alice had the benefit of drive ins with finding dory that weekend (take a look at that Friday increase, wowzers) but WW should be pretty damn good nevertheless