grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

If 7.6M holds, a lowball weekend will be

10.6 (40% increase)

7.4M (30% decrease)

25.6M

Thats downright ridiculous and would make 400M a good possibility 

Using grim's projection for the weekend, Wonder Woman will jump over Iron Man and Iron Man 2 to become the 15th highest grossing comic book film by the end of Sunday. It will also hit a 3.0 multiplier by the end of tomorrow (Saturday) and join the 3+ multiplier club. A terrific performance at the box office, no doubt about it.

Highest Grossing Comic Book Films

1. Marvel’s The Avengers (2012) — 623.4 million
  2. The Dark Knight (2008) — 534.9 million
  3. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) — 459.0 million
  4. The Dark Knight Rises (2012) — 448.1 million
  5. Iron Man 3 (2013) — 409.0 million
  6. Captain America: Civil War (2016) — 408.1 million
  7. Spider-Man (2002) — 403.7 million
  8. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) — 377.2 million^
  9. Spider-Man 2 (2004) — 373.6 million
  10. Deadpool (2016)— 363.1 million
  11. Spider-Man 3 (2007)— 336.5 million
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) — 333.2 million
  13. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016) — 330.4 million
  14. Suicide Squad (2016) — 325.1 million
  15. Iron Man (2008) — 318.4 million 
  16. Iron Man 2 (2010) — 312.4 million 
  17. Wonder Woman (2017) — 293.2 million^
  18. Man of Steel (2013) — 291.0 million
  19. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) — 262.0 million
  20. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — 259.8 million
  21. Batman (1989) — 251.2 million
  22. Men in Black (1997) — 250.7 million
  23. X-Men: The Last Stand (2006) — 234.4 millon
  24. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014) — 233.9 million
  25. Doctor Strange (2016) — 232.6 million

^As of Thursday June 22nd

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 8

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm just so fucking sick of hearing about how great WW is doing, how stunning Gal is, etc. It's basically become an echo chamber where any shred of difference in box office projection is met with disdain. 

So it's a crazy run but we aren't supposed to discuss it?   Gal Gadot is stunning but we should pretend she's a gargoyle. anything else?

• Like 8

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, your stanning is at least fun. So much of the Gal stanning is just "OMG SHE'S SO AMAZING/STUNNING/INSPIRING/ETC", and it just gets old really fast to me.

One man's fun is another mans "oh my god enough aabattery we've had it with your fucking Taika gifs"

Same thing with the Gal Gadot stuff I guess.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Wonder Woman's legs aren't just great legs for a comic book movie, but they're unreal legs in general.  Even large opening animated films don't easily pull WW like legs.

In fact there are no 80m+ animated Friday openers that have hit a 4x multi. 

• Like 1

WW's run is just giving me life this summer! Looking at a potential 35% drop coming off an inflated weekend?

I didnt want to say it before but I really think 400 is happening. It's gonna be at 350+ by the time SM opens. Could be above 360 if it's weekdays are strong enough. I can't see any film after SM having all that much of an effect. I think it can definitely late leg another 40M.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, your stanning is at least fun. So much of the Gal stanning is just "OMG SHE'S SO AMAZING/STUNNING/INSPIRING/ETC", and it just gets old really fast to me.

Okay, but consider that for others it's not. They find her (and it) inspiring. So let them be happy and inspired, and find your own happiness and inspiration with other movies. 

• Like 13

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

In fact there are no 80m+ animated Friday openers that have hit a 4x multi. 

Had Shrek 2 opened on Friday and not Thursday it would have, but even then that movies was also a freak of nature.

• Like 1

Just now, Telemachos said:

Okay, but consider that for others it's not. They find her (and it) inspiring. So let them be happy and inspired, and find your own happiness and inspiration with other movies. 

And this is the hard part. It Comes at Night and Captain Underpants are the two movies this month I liked, yet nobody is talking about them because the former imploded and the latter isn't grossing anything impressive! GOTG has kind of faded off discussion wise, and I've been getting shit with Alien since OW.

:sadben: 

• Like 3

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

And this is the hard part. It Comes at Night and Captain Underpants are the two movies this month I liked, yet nobody is talking about them because the former imploded and the latter isn't grossing anything impressive! GOTG has kind of faded off discussion wise, and I've been getting shit with Alien since OW.

do you want to discuss the brilliance of LEGO Movie (2014) with me, because I'm always down to discuss that

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Had Shrek 2 opened on Friday and not Thursday it would have, but even then that movies was also a freak of nature.

I doubt Shrek 2 would've had a 4x multi opening on a Friday since it barely has one with its OW after a Wednesday opening. You could add at least another 5-10m to the OW if it opened on Friday, and then it misses 4x. 

Not  that I even think WW will pull a 4x mind you, it needs 413 for that. I would have to think that 405 or so would be the absolute ceiling, but who the hell knows at this point. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Bring it in, big guy. 

dr-evil-crying1.gif

• Like 6