antovolk

The Foreigner | October 13, 2017 | Jackie Chan, Pierce Brosnan | STX

2 hours ago, Sam said:

I don't think I watched Jackie Chan playing a serious dramatic role in years, so this movie definitely has my interest. 

And his name is Quan Ngoc Minh. I'm here for Vietnamese Dispensing Justice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam said:

I don't think I watched Jackie Chan playing a serious dramatic role in years, so this movie definitely has my interest. 

I don't think I've seen anything from Jackie Chan since...Karate Kid? He's one of the coolest and most charismatic guys around, and it feels like forever since his last movie.

5 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Can this movie gross 50m in USA....its been years since Chan had hit stateside! 

I hope it but I don't think so. Maybe AA numbers or a bit higher? Reviews from critics are ok as it seems and I like the good user reviews but I doubt there's enough interest for 50M.

In China it's so far (with Tuesday) at 465.1M = 70.2M US$ (Oanda).
Unfortunately I couldn't find any numbers for Indonesia and Singapore, not even a chart. Does anybody know more? (In the Indonesia thread the member newbie BO buff refers to his boxoffice website for several countries but not with The Foreigner so far).
But it's #1 in Malaysia on its second weekend (cinema.com.my → The Foreigner → Charts), in front of BR which is #2 ;) . And was narrowly #2 in Thailand on its opening weekend, behind Kingsman 2 (entertainweekly.th).
It's annoying that it has no German release date. It starts in Dk this weekend and in the Netherlands in three weeks but not here – great :( .

6 hours ago, John Rambo said:

Can this movie gross 50m in USA....its been years since Chan had hit stateside! 

I don't know. I have a club for this, but even then, it's an "over 10m opening weekend" club. Regardless of reviews, the film does have some factors against it.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:23 PM, MrPink said:

And his name is Quan Ngoc Minh. I'm here for Vietnamese Dispensing Justice.

Vietnamese Dispensing Justice.

That's gonna be my aesthetics and life goal.

• Like 1

The rotten tomatoes score fell down to 59%! Ouch! The film is probably still good, but this is pretty sad in my opinion...

The day before release, after so many days of being fresh, is the day it suddenly drops to rotten! That's gotta hurt!

Edited by slambros

On 10/9/2017 at 12:41 PM, CoolEric258 said:

I don't think I've seen anything from Jackie Chan since...Karate Kid? He's one of the coolest and most charismatic guys around, and it feels like forever since his last movie.

He's made 11 live action movies since then, including The Foreigner. It's just that they've all been OS productions I believe.  He has Karate Kid 2, Rush Hour 4 and Shanghai Dawn listed as upcoming movies but who knows if those will actually happen.

I watched a movie of his the other day on Netflix called Kung Fu Yoga. It had a mix of Asian and Indian actors. Had some pretty good fight scenes but the best part was when it turned into a Bollywood production at the end with a big song and dance number! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slambros said:

The rotten tomatoes score fell down to 59%! Ouch! The film is probably still good, but this is pretty sad in my opinion...

The day before release, after so many days of being fresh, is the day it suddenly drops to rotten! That's gotta hurt!

Yes, but the average rating didn't change (I think it was the whole week 5.5 or 5.6/10). And the audience seems to like it: so far it stands at 80% and 4.1/5 in the Audience Score :).

I have it at 15M OW (formerly I hoped for 17M).