Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

1 minute ago, The Panda said:

Are people really saying reviews are what's hurting DM3 when a movie called The Boss Baby came out this year?

People are really going overboard on the tomato law.

Boss Baby would've done 200M+ with good reviews.  Tomato Law is accurate!

http://deadline.com/2017/06/despicable-me-3-baby-driver-the-house-july-4th-weekend-box-office-independence-day-1202122599/

As we already reported, Baby Driver among regular titles in release, topped Thursday with $3.3M on its way to a low $20M cume over five days.

Despicable Me 2 opened on a Wednesday and made $35M on opening day, $83.5M over its Friday-Sunday, and $143M over five days

Edited by 75live
oops, Yourmother beat me too it :P
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Boss Baby would've done 200M+ with good reviews.  Tomato Law is accurate!

I kind of argee. If it weren't for Beast and a smaller case Smurfs. 

• Like 1

http://deadline.com/2017/06/despicable-me-3-baby-driver-the-house-july-4th-weekend-box-office-independence-day-1202122599/

2ND Update AM: Despicable Me 3 is looking at an opening day of $27M-$30M including its $4.1M previews from last night. These projections come from midday matinees. With many folks across the nation taking a half day today leading into the holiday and traveling, we might see softer Friday grosses on the latest Illumination/Universal release with more robust dailies tomorrow and Sunday. Current 3-day range for DM3 is $83M-$85M at this point,  which on the low end is what DM2 did. Critics are harder on this threequel at 62% fresh versus DM1‘s 81% certified fresh and DM2‘s 73% certified fresh, but it’s quite obvious, DM3 is the No. 1 destination for moviegoers over the five-day Independence Day stretch.

Sony-TriStar/Media Rights Capital’s Baby Driver is dropping into fifth, looking at a Friday that’s between $5.3M-$6.3M, a 3-day that’s in the vicinity of  $18M and a five-day that’s between $25M-$27M. That’s a great start and a second place notch.

Warner Bros.’ Wonder Woman isn’t stopping with a third place take of $15.5M-$16M in her fifth weekend, -38%, with a running cume of $346.5M. Today, the DC superhero will see $4M-$5M. WB is having less luck with its New Line/Village Roadshow R-rated comedy, The House which will be Will Ferrell’s lowest major studio live-action comedy opening since Stranger Than Fiction ($13.4M) with a current projection between $10M-$12M. Ugh. Critics have burnt House down at 10% rotten.

Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight will beat House for fourth place with a $14M three-day in its second weekend, -69% for a running cume of $99.1M.

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The tomato giveth and the tomato taketh. Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk, Valerian, and Atomic Blonde will be blessed by it. If Emoji has 70% or higher, the tomato allowth possibly $150M domestic.

I think Emoji has strong appeal. A mid 50s rating like Angry Birds or Boss baby should be enough for 100-110M. An explosion beyond that needs 70+, tho.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Alli said:

who knows. i think he would be even bigger with the way the OS market has been expanding.  anyway, his movies always play on tv. and comedies have always had a harder time selling OS, but Carrey's always did well.

Carrey barely does films these days, so no way to tell. The last mainstream film he was in was Dumb & Dumber To, and that was years ago. 

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Not sure about that without even going how much on a different planet Murphy and Carrey peak were those 3 didn't had shorter career.

And Sandler run was ridiculous and was at least has long has Ferell current one. Will take your word for Murphy I was too young (and not american) at the time, but is peak was such giant and overall career so long even if we remove the hole in the middle.

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/will-ferrell-movies/

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/adam-sandler-movies/

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/eddie-murphy-movies

http://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/jim-carrey-movies/

Number of 100 million movie adjusted, lenght of their run:

Ferrel: 11 (10 without Lego movie), first in 2003 last in 2015, coming close to 15 year's

Sandler: 16 (14 without hotel Transylvanian), first 1998 last in 2013, 15 year's long and he was a star after Happy Gilmore home video/tv success released in 1996, so arguably 17 year's.

Carrey: 16, first in 1994 last in 2009, 15 year's

Murphy: 25 !! (20 without voice roles), first in 1982 last in 2007, 25 year's

Murphy was huge, I'd say only Carrey was on his level at his peak, however Murphy also had a much bigger box office fall compared to the rest, especially as his quality started to decrease. The success of The Nutty Professor gave him a boost that lasted for a few years. 

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's almost like people have selective memory over how big Jim Carey and Adam Sandler were. Not just in North America but internationally. They pretty much ruled the comedy scene. 

Will Ferell was never ever on their level. 

Carrey was much bigger internationally though. Sandler's films on average made around 80m overseas, whereas films like The Mask, Bruce Almighty, Dumb & Dumber etc... made a lot of money overseas, especially considering they were domestic comedies that likely wouldn't have much appeal outside of NA, which is remarkable. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The tomato giveth and the tomato taketh. Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk, Valerian, and Atomic Blonde will be blessed by it. If Emoji has 70% or higher, the tomato allowth possibly $150M domestic.

Having seen that, I think it will be barely fresh, at best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I think Emoji has strong appeal. A mid 50s rating like Angry Birds or Boss baby should be enough for 100-110M. An explosion beyond that needs 70+, tho.

Tomato Law should work next week for SM:H.  I am expecting 130M with a 3x multi for a 390M finish.  The Tomato, its power.

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I agree. I even have an Emoji over Cloudy 2 club ($119.7M). I think if it has great reviews like 70%+ it'll do $150M. DM3 and C3 were peaked sequels and sadly CU had limited appeal. With 90%, $200M can happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Tomato Law should work next week for SM:H.  I am expecting 130M with a 3x multi for a 390M finish.  The Tomato, its power.

Having seen it. I think Homecoming will have long legs due to the quality. It's an absolute crowd pleaser. My audience laughed at every joke, even my hard to please mother liked it who's very picky when it comes to CBMs. Thinking around $100M-$110M OW though. I think if WW is the Dory/JW of summer 2017, Homecoming is the Pets/IO of summer 2017.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Also are we seriously contemplating the possibility that Emoji will get good reviews?

:rofl: 

Did anyone think Underpants would be Dreamworks best reviewed original since Rise of The Guardians?

• Like 1