Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I'm still interested in the multiplier question. 3x for DM3 or not? Spidey also has a kiddie following.

It is the only game in town for little kids.  Spidey has a kiddie following but it's still a PG-13 rated comic book movie.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It is the only game in town for little kids.  Spidey has a kiddie following but it's still a PG-13 rated comic book movie.

Sadly, I don't think that stops a lot of people from bringing toddlers.

I'm not gonna abandon overall BO projections for DM3's summer haul based on 1 Thursday night and a very early Deadline prediction, even if it "disappoints" the 1st weekend...I mean, those that did that in early June had WW around $220-$230M total DOM BO after seeing the OW...and we see how well that worked out...

The advantage of audience is still there for DM3...and that won't change if it comes in a little low this weekend...

The same question needs to be asked "what are parents/camps/swim teams/etc taking kids to in July"?  Answer...well, there's only one movie in that answer...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 5

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

The same question needs to be asked "what are parents/camps/swim teams/etc taking kids to in July"?  Answer...well, there's only one movie in that answer...

Only one movie? My best guess..Spiderman Homecoming? Kids looove him. A normal teenager who is a superhero? No wonder they relate to him and dress up as him for Halloween.

• Like 5

An overall update of how a suburban theater is doing today:

DM3 has been selling great. The 2D shows (7/15 are 2D) have been filling to capacity, and the 3D shows earlier were selling about 40-50 tickets each, though tonight is looking MUCH weaker for 3D shows.

Baby Driver continues to perform great. It's in the smallest auditorium for its nighttime showings because of screen swapping for maximum Transformers showtimes , so that's going to damper how many seats they can sell (the good seats are already gone at 7:00). They can't fix this until Sunday because tomorrow night has already sold a fair amount of seats, so chances are they could cancel POTC or The Mummy tomorrow for another BD at night.

The House has been a fucking scattershot. The 2:30 showing sold 38 seats while the 11:30 only sold 9, and the showing in 50 minutes has only sold 1 seat so far. The 8:00 showing has sold 12 seats so far.

All of WW's shows today have sold between 30-40 seats. Tonight hasn't sold much yet, though.

Transformers collapsed. The one 2D show that happened already only sold 14 seats, and the two 2Ds tonight have sold 16 and 22 so far. The other 3D showings have been selling about 9-15 each, aka weaksauce.

Cars has been selling 14-16 seats all afternoon and did great business in the morning. Tonight is trending towards the former.

47 Meters has sold 9-13 seats for each of its showings so far with nothing sold for tonight. If the theater needs to make room for 4 screens, this will probably go.

POTC is still kicking it. The early afternoon show sold over 20 seats while the morning was in the low teens. The remaining two have already sold 4-5 each.

Captain Underpants is pretty much done. Its 3 showings today all sold 5-6 seats each. The Mummy takes over its screen at night and has sold 12 for the first showing.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Only one movie? My best guess..Spiderman Homecoming? Kids looove him. A normal teenager who is a superhero? No wonder they relate to him and dress up as him for Halloween.

Yes, but kid programs can't take their kids to PG-13 movies...

Every martial arts camp, creative camp, swim team, field trip camp, etc...all have to find a movie they can take all the kids they have to...PG-13 isn't it, b/c then you get heat from parents...

EDIT: Now, I did pick Spidey to win the summer, but not b/c he was getting this audience:)...he will get families, but not the "camp"/"sport team" component:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

for a kids movie? if a kid wants to watch a movie which parents will tell them no based on reviews?

It depends who intitiates movie night and how badly the kids want to go.

If the parents initiate it and the kids are luke warm about it the a weak RT score could be a dealbreaker.

50 bucks aint bird seed.

38 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I'm not gonna abandon overall BO projections for DM3's summer haul based on 1 Thursday night and a very early Deadline prediction, even if it "disappoints" the 1st weekend...I mean, those that did that in early June had WW around $220-$230M total DOM BO after seeing the OW...and we see how well that worked out...

The advantage of audience is still there for DM3...and that won't change if it comes in a little low this weekend...

Anyone who projected Wonder Woman to do 220-230mil after it's opening weekend really needs to up their game because they are terrible at this whole box office game. 

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Every martial arts camp, creative camp, swim team, field trip camp, etc...all have to find a movie they can take all the kids they have to...PG-13 isn't it, b/c then you get heat from parents...

EDIT: Now, I did pick Spidey to win the summer, but not b/c he was getting this audience:)...he will get families, but not the "camp"/"sport team" component:)...

Last week there was a giant kids group that went to see Transformers on OD at my theater.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
13 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Kids programs do take kids to see PG-13 movies though. They get permission slips from the parents.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Kids programs do take kids to see PG-13 movies though. They get permission slips from the parents.

My school which is a middle school/high school took middle schoolers to Fantastic Beasts last year and that was PG-13.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

My school which is a middle school/high school took middle schoolers to Fantastic Beasts last year and that was PG-13.

So did you have to get your parents to sign the slip for you to go? 

• Like 2

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yeah. Schools get permission. Most PG-13 franchises are seen as kid friendly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't know what amuses me more...that a school actually went to Fantastic Beasts as a field trip, or that our poster actually had to get a permission slip signed to see it.  Man, am I old:)...

EDIT: Schools aren't summer camps, b/c they have a whole lot more money and people to deal with dumb crap...like permission slips:)...The 15 year old camp counselers don't have that kind of time or desire to deal with dumb crap I bet:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

So did you have to get your parents to sign the slip for you to go? 

I'm a high schooler ?. I'm graduating 2018. But the middle schoolers needed a permission slip.

• Like 1

I put on Deadpool for my ninth graders last year. 

I didn't put it on this year though. 

Then again i dont have a ninth grade class this year. Or a class period. 

Wonder why. 

:ph34r:

• Like 1