Nova

5-day Weekend #s: DM3 99M, BD 29.97M, WW 24.07M, TF5 24.05M, Cars 3 14.2M, House 11.9M

I am really surprised. I thought these yellow jaundiced monsters are critic proof. I guess everything has to go down. There is a chance that DM3 finishes below Sing. 

Still Illumination is in a strong state as they have had movies break out like for ever, do great OS and have low budgets. Cant get any better than that. 

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am really surprised. I thought these yellow jaundiced monsters are critic proof. I guess everything has to go down. There is a chance that DM3 finishes below Sing. 

Still Illumination is in a strong state as they have had movies break out like for ever, do great OS and have low budgets. Cant get any better than that. 

Hop is their lowest grossing film and it was still moderately successful. Grinch will do great although it might do worse OS simply because Dr Seuss isn't as loved compared to the US. 

Hmm... that's definitely lower than I expected for Despicable Me 3. In addition to falling below the last two films in that universe, its preview gross also fell short of that of The Secret Life of Pets last year. I don't want to say that $100 million is off the table (not for a kids film with a plum summer release date and the widest release ever), but it's certainly looking less likely after that preview gross.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Baby Driver just gonna sneak into the 20s for 5 day. That is kinda a bummer when looking at critical reception and audience score. I guess the concept or marketing was just not appealing to masses.

Well, at least didn't flop. Here hoping good wom can save it. Under 40% next weekend would be cool, but under 30% would be pretty rad.

Edited by Goffe

27 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Baby Driver just gonna sneak into the 20s for 5 day. That is kinda a bummer when looking at critical reception and audience score. I guess the concept or marketing was just not appealing to masses.

I think it's doing as well as can be expected. I still haven't seen the signs of a big Get Out style break out that people were hoping for.

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Why did people think that The House would be a hit again? As it got closer I thought we could all agree that it was looking like an epic dud for WB.

Will Ferrell, but really the fact that it was delayed by a few years, and the embargo should have been a good sign it was a dud. 

• Like 1

To be honest I am surprised Will Ferrell still can have hits at the box office.

He s been in the game for what, 15 years ?

Comedians' shticks usually have a more limited lifespan, look at Jim Carrey ...

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Discount + July 4th.

Tuesday bumps are gonna be fun :rofl:

Hide contents

And Wed will be blood bath

Most chains are not doing discount Tuesday on July 4th in US...look for DM3's July 11th Tuesday to be enormous compared to its July 10th Monday BO...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nova said:

I saw zero reason for it to be successful. The movie itself looked awful. I had no idea it was coming out this weekend until folks were talking about it in the tracking thread. To me at least, I always thought it would flop 

It did look funny though, and always got great reactions when I got a trailer for it in theaters.  The issue was that WB didn't market it correctly.  With proper marketing, a We're the Millers run could've been achievable.

• Like 1

Not horrible for DM3. Should definitely be a strong player for the weekend.

The House looked silly, but it being talked about for a while was doom & gloom. Will Ferrell has Daddy's Home 2 to bring him back. 

Baby Driver is more of a weekend player people. Stop freaking out.

1 minute ago, The Futurist said:

To be honest I am surprised Will Ferrell still can have hits at the box office.

He s been on the game for what, 15 years ?

Comedians' shticks usually have a more limited lifespan, look at Jim Carrey ...

Sandler is an other one that had a really long staying power (without evolving much), Billy Madison/Happy Gilmore was in 95/96, Grown Ups was a giant success in 2013.

Eddy Murphy was an other one with a very long career, he was one of the biggest box office draw in the world for a long time (if he was not number one in that peak), from the early 80 to around 2000

Ferrell became a star with SNL + Old School (2003), around the early 2000's, about 15 year's yes.

Jim carey was at least at Ferrel level from 1994 to around 2009 or so, also 15 year's for him, and Dumb and Dumber to still made 169 million at the BO 20 year's after the first one.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

It did look funny though, and always got great reactions when I got a trailer for it in theaters.  The issue was that WB didn't market it correctly.  With proper marketing, a We're the Millers run could've been achievable.

We're the millers was a well liked movie (A- Cinemascore, 72% audience RT score, 7/10 IMDB), that did an incredible run because of incredible legs (5.6 multiplier that is not far from Hidden Figures performance).

I really doubt you can do that with a bad movie, a movie like the House seem like a movie that you would loose most of the 40/50 million on the domestic release if you would be to give it a proper comedy marketing, like what happened to WB when they spend a fortune on Fist Fight in february.

They spent over 40 million on a domestic release that gave them around 16.5 million in rental.

• Like 5