CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

Looking at past Marvel July releases, The First Avenger did a 2.71x, and Ant-Man had a 3.15x. I think SMH is pretty safe to land within that range, which would mean anywhere from 317m to 368m total if we're talking about a 117m OW. With summer weekdays in full force, under 300 would basically mean a Man of Steel kind of run and that's just not happening.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Saying that Spider-Man homecoming has to beat Suicide Squad domestically is a made-up success threshold. Over 300 million is the goal and that's it.

$300M is just as made up a goal...it just has a more even number...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Please explain how losing to a badly reviewed mess is acceptable when you have got your two most popular SH in one film? It's certainly not a good omen going forward. 

I was was kind when compared to SS, realisticly the benchmark should be SM3. Homecoming should be doing those numbers at minimum otherwise we can state that Spidey is still a second tier SH, opposed to the first tier it used to belong.

But look at what Batman Begins did after it came off of the horrible Batman and Robin. Sometimes the previous movies do effect what the current one has for a ceiling.

• Like 5

http://deadline.com/2017/07/spider-man-homecoming-box-office-opening-1202124834/

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Still Swinging In As Sony’s Second Best Domestic Opening Ever With $116M-$118M

Spider-Man: Homecoming

7th Update, Sunday 6:51 AM: Sony hasn’t officially reported yet, so this is off early morning industry estimates. Spider-Man: Homecoming counted an estimated $37M last night, now putting it on track for a $116M-$118M

Edited by Finnick
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

We'll have to wait to see what Homecomings legs are like obviously. Of course Ragnarok has no chance of doubling its predecessors numbers or coming close to that. 

Justice League has a mediocre director with a polarizing streak so that's going to be very hard for that to have anything resembling legs even during the holidays.

I think it honestly has a really good chance.

Also the plethora of Christmas movies will harm JL and Thor's late legs. At best Thor will do $300M and that's a stretch. Also I think even though WW will be a major part of JL I don't think all of her audience will rush out to see JL mainly due to the audience that went to see WW saw it because it was a unique never before seen concept and the first great female CBM. Just like adding BP and Guardians to IW doesn't equal over Ultron.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, fmpro said:

Legs will be under 2x i think

So it might do 920 WW instead of 950? 

Disappointing. :redcapes:

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

So it might do 920 WW instead of 950? 

Disappointing. :redcapes:

Major flop! Illumination should fill for bankruptcy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'll go you one better. Maybe the goal this time around was to get Spider-Man back into the good graces of people. That's why they gave it a John Hughes theme and that's why they put Iron Man in it. It's coming off of two films that people really didn't like so it's great for people like us on this form to throw out arbitrary numbers like 330 and 700 million and so on but really I think what's Sony and the MCU are doing is getting a good Spider-Man film out there that people like so that the next one can do even better. And judging by the word of mouth I think they have accomplished that.

I do think that the main thing is getting the character back on good footing with the audiences. It is more important for the movie to be good than the highest grossing movie of all time.

• Like 2

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Despicable Me 3 is going to be just fine. It's not like Transformers where there's a 217 million budget and it's underperforming worldwide.

Besides $900M+ is nothing to cry about.

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Despicable Me 3 is going to be just fine. It's not like Transformers where there's a 217 million budget and it's underperforming worldwide.

Don't forget whatever backend Bay/Hasbro got out of the thing.

Just now, drdungbeetle said:

I'll be back when Apes opens so I can fling poo at all the Apes haters on here. You're just arguing over how many Spidey victory laps you get at this point.

Apes haters...literally where 

• Like 5