CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

4 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yeah, last year's CBM crop is seeming pretty damn pathetic after this year. Meanwhile, this year's animation crop is pathetic compared to last year's.

And on that shift in topic, I stand by what I was saying late last year that Moana would have been far better served at the box office being pushed back to this summer. Could have hit 300 for sure. 

I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I think it could have run wild in Cars 3's spot, and the subject/aesthetic did feel a lot more summery than most animated films.

What could of been, I guess. Still, this year has proved that it's haul is nothing to scoff at. $248M looks fantastic in hindsight.

• Like 2

I'll just post what I put in the Homecoming thread. Don't feel like writing it again.

45 minutes ago, MrGamer2558 said:

Saw it a couple of hours ago and I enjoyed it a lot. Don't know if it's my favorite Spider-Man movie, but I will say it's in my Top 5 MCU movies. Holland and Keaton make it special. The little things make it stand out a lot more than most Marvel films. I wasn't as high on it as I was with Wonder Woman (just some nitpicky things), but I'll still give it a 9/10. 

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

What movie will ruin the 2017 superhero hot streak? JL or Thor 3?

Critically? JL seems the far more likely candidate just based on director track records.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

What movie will ruin the 2017 superhero hot streak? JL or Thor 3?

Honestly Thor franchise can really go nowhere but up at this point and the trailer has been pretty much acclaimed

Justice League I worry will suffer from a trying to set up things for future films and I hope Joss doesn't have his hands too much into it cuz his style is so obvious

4 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Box office-wise? Thor 3. RT-wise? JL

Neither will do that, I have hope. Both will cross $300m AND be critical successes. If we are talking COMIC BOOK MOVIE genre, then maybe Valerian or Kingsman. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

Just now, iJackSparrow said:

Neither will do that, I have hope. Both will cross $300m AND be critical successes. If we are talking COMIC BOOK MOVIE genre, than maybe Valerian or Kingsman. 

Same here. I hope my previous post is wrong and both films become well-regarded smash hits. 

16 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Logan wasn't really about the villains though.  Its about Xavier, Logan, and Laura.  I think its a testament to how great the film is that its considered 1 of the top 2 CBMs in the last 20 years without an uber villain.

I would have liked it more if the that Blonde guy was the only villain it. Throwing in a clone and mad professor slowed the film down.

• Like 2

I missed the risk conversation!

Basically, both sides are right regarding non-white male CBM's. These movies aren't really risks. But they're seen as risks by many in the industry. It's the reason GL was made before WW. A female-led superhero film should never been seen as a risk. But there will always be people who argue it is. Fortunately, it's harder to make that argument now. 😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Bay is a god of visual verve

I'm not talking about the "visual verve," I'm talking about how you claim it is too reliant on CG for your tastes when all five TF movies are nothing without the orgies of CG. 

• Like 2