CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

17 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

He was threadbanned for posting spoilers I believe...and he ignored it so now he's banned for a week.

Wait, he was already ban yesterday, did he get ban extended ? Dang ... LOL

Edited by Subzero

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like the Fast and Furious movies and I know those aren't intelligent films and I know plenty of people hate those films as well and that's fine. But unlike the Transformers films I feel like there's some sort of heart in there and an effort that's being made. I don't even care about the Transformers IP at all but I don't like the Transformers movies solely as movies because I feel that there's soulless, crass, empty movies where you can feel the director's contempt for the IP and the audience.

Also outside of the first movie I think they're just not entertaining movies to me. I often get bored while watching them. I'm only talking about the second and third because I haven't tortured myself with the fourth and fifth one. I wouldn't cry if Transformers 5 had made 900 million worldwide. I can easily avoid the movies so I don't care that they exist necessarily but I don't think it's a good thing that they exist because I don't think that we should be encouraging Hollywood to make movies with no heart or soul. Again if they make another movie more power to the fans I hope you enjoy it. But nobody can force me to even morally support it.

Except TF movies haven't stopped other movies from being made

and people also wrongly assume people that like TF moves only like those types of movies 

feel like you're taking it too seriously 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

It's one of those things: if you did well in Baumer's OD competition, you did badly on derby most likely, not accounting for sub-40 Sat. And if you dd bad on OD competition, you may have done good on derby's OW.

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I like the Fast and Furious movies and I know those aren't intelligent films and I know plenty of people hate those films as well and that's fine. But unlike the Transformers films I feel like there's some sort of heart in there and an effort that's being made. I don't even care about the Transformers IP at all but I don't like the Transformers movies solely as movies because I feel that there's soulless, crass, empty movies where you can feel the director's contempt for the IP and the audience.

Also outside of the first movie I think they're just not entertaining movies to me. I often get bored while watching them. I'm only talking about the second and third because I haven't tortured myself with the fourth and fifth one. I wouldn't cry if Transformers 5 had made 900 million worldwide. I can easily avoid the movies so I don't care that they exist necessarily but I don't think it's a good thing that they exist because I don't think that we should be encouraging Hollywood to make movies with no heart or soul. Again if they make another movie more power to the fans I hope you enjoy it. But nobody can force me to even morally support it.

Watch Transformers 4.  This gif should convince you:

Xb3k8tS.gif

(It's not even just this, it's just a fucking hilarious movie for all the wrong reasons from start to finish)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

To be fair WW had Father's Day on its side too for its third weekend.

Right, but even the 4th weekend was 25 (bigger post-FD drop) and will still be not far from SM's (likely) 25-30 3rd weekend.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Narnia basically was big for one movie and then died out. Very weird that the sequel didn't get any kind of bump from the first movie.

Right. Not only was there no bump it fell over 50% (291.7=>141.6)!

35 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

For starters because none of those had mid-July weekdays. 

And their weekend increases are way higher. Look getting a three multiplier from a 6th movie in a series that has a massive up front Rush from its loony fanbase is not exactly the easiest thing to do. I'm fairly certain that it will finish with less than a three multiplier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Watch Transformers 4.  This gif should convince you:

Xb3k8tS.gif

(It's not even just this, it's just a fucking hilarious movie for all the wrong reasons from start to finish)

Watch TF5, it's pretty much a troll job by everyone involved from start to finish, except Duhamel - he is in a completely different movie from everyone else. Hopkins is not even in the same universe of movies as everyone else, hes having the most fun onscreen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

It's the most promising sign in regard to Homecoming potentially seeing a 3.0+ multiplier.

hmm...just for the sake of argument: the big walkups did not prevent it from having a better hold on Sat, so why would they push up the overall multi?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Big Sick going into 2,500+ theaters next weekend sounds risky but you know what? I think it'll pay off. It only needs a $4K PTA to reach $10M for the weekend.

It's not risky at all. If anything, it's the best possible plan. The Beguiled had a strong PTA last weekend and should have gone wider because Popcorn Law and mixed WOM have kicked in now. The Big Sick is much better received, but having another small expansion would risk audiences losing interest. Strike while the iron is hot.

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

The reason I'm glad Transformers is struggling is because every time a new one comes out we have a ton of people try to argue that ACTUALLY it's brilliant, misunderstood genius that anyone who doesn't like is either too dumb or too pretentious to appreciate. So obnoxious. It's the tip of the spear in the debate over reviews/reception and so-called "pretentiousness." I've made it pretty clear where I fall.

Same with Illumination. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

name a movie that didn't star a woman.....it feature heroine doesn't mean it's female-centric, rey wasn't appear on the screen until 10 min later.

Screenjunkies even categorised rey as supporting actress when they nominate her as best supporting actress of 2015 

It's silly to be open up the definition of female-centric film be so wide, easily making every movie be female-led. 

Hold the definition in strict sense  

Screenjunkies? Seriously?

Who cares how they categorize anything?

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Fair enough.

Does that mean that you love the Transformers and would love for the TF films to have something different at their core?

Yeah, I want TF movies to appeal to sci fi nerds more than they appeal to frat boys and jocks.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, a2knet said:

hmm...just for the sake of argument: the big walkups did not prevent it from having a better hold on Sat, so why would they push up the overall multi?

Very true. Well have to see what the hold looks like today during the week. If it stabilizes in a big way, then the walk up point to larger audience that didn't initially want to check out Spider-man later deciding it was worth a watch.

8 minutes ago, baumer said:

And their weekend increases are way higher. Look getting a three multiplier from a 6th movie in a series that has a massive up front Rush from its loony fanbase is not exactly the easiest thing to do. I'm fairly certain that it will finish with less than a three multiplier.

I'm not saying it'll get a 3x. But over 2.7x is very likely imo. 

• Like 3